Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Miva.com PPC
    Anyone has experience with Miva.com or previously known as Findwhat.com?

What is the payback in term of money added for every $25 and sales figure return in $?

$0.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    They are not in the big league yet.

IMHO, they are plagued with fraud and we turned them off. I think they need to look at cleaning up the sites that pull their feed.

At one time, we were getting good ROI but then it went down hill suddenly. We would have $20-30 clicks/day on a certain keyword and even if you put it to a bid min, you still have that surge of click for that particular keyword.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    At one time, we were getting good ROI but then it went down hill suddenly.
    My experience is the same.

Way back when, good ROI.
    Then it lost whatever traffic source it had, and for ages the money just sat.

Then after a few months of that, it suddenly started ravenously eating money, but not bringing any sales!!
    (All this was when it was still FindWhat.)

After that, I let the account run dry and never refilled it.

ABW Ambassador
    they are plagued with fraud

A complete waste of money and time.

ABW Ambassador
    Check this post
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...63&postcount=6

They are on the scummy side of scum, no surprise they send junk.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    in 2000-2002, we had good ROI. i think they need better technology and/or gatekeepers to filter out those fraudsters..

ABW Ambassador
    Eric, to do that, they would have to keep themselves out...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    miva is a complete waste of your time and money, in fact, they don't even use their own ads for their sites and related schtuff...

"Miva Direct, which manages tool bar, screen saver, smiley and other applications and websites" just signed a deal with Google (on jan 7, 2007), to display adsense and web search from G...

so apparently, their own ad collections / inventory aren't good enough revenue generators to compete with the fraction they receive from G's ad inventory...

ought to tell you something right there...

plus, as the person spending money for ads, the "tool bar, screen saver, smiley and other applications" part should make your butt pucker a tad as well...

~~~~~~~

this is a little dated, almost a year, but gives some good insights into what's happening at Miva:
    http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...iva-moves.aspx

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    plus, as the person spending money for ads, the "tool bar, screen saver, smiley and other applications" part should make your butt pucker a tad as well...
    Them signing a deal with Google doesn't exactly do anything to wash my distaste for AdWords from my mouth, either...

People are supposed to jump through hoops, crack an algo, play along with G's stupid "which site is in/out, will we like your landing page" games, and PAY...
    All to get onto networks like THAT?!

It's like a sick April Fool's joke.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks everyone for your input. My return is $0 for every $25 I paid. It's a eating money machine with instant high traffic but no sales.

Any good PPC site other than Google and Yahoo. Rule out MSN at this moment. Seeking your real experience with good ROI.

S**t I just signed up with then last week-end. Well I had to put $25 in that account so I will probably use it up....

If I have a positive experience I will post back here.

They have a new feature called "Precision Network", I asked then about it, here is their response:

".../...
    Regarding Precision, what we’ve done is to get industry specific keyword buys from higher quality traffic sources. In essence, this creates a separate network that directly benefits the specific industry. While search volume is lower, conversion rates are higher--some advertisers reporting CPA in line with our tier 1 competitors. Additionally, another characteristic of this precision distribution that we've seen is that the higher you bid, you not only receive more traffic, but your conversions go up as well.
    The Core network is a more general distribution and from the feedback we have received this distribution is not working effectively for certain clients.

Reasons to Advertise on the Precision Network

· Accrues higher value, but a lower volume of leads

· Provides a source of very targeted traffic

· Matches advertisers’ keywords more closely to MIVA’s network of distribution partners

· Improves conversions because traffic tends to be highly targeted

· Provides for easy account management. Account creation is quick and easy.

· Advertisers can choose from pre-created, relevant keyword categories.

The traffic can dramatically for some users that previously would get high volumes. Ways to remedy this is to be in the top 3 positions for your keywords (the higher the better on precision) and to choose more keywords to bid on. On precision, these are safe choices due to the nature of the network; traffic spikes and low quality traffic is not common.

Concerning our affiliate network, unfortunately no, there is no way to choose which affiliates you will be shown on. As the agreement signed by each partner is different, we are also unable to guarantee the placement position of your ad on our partner sites. Some distribution partners use more targeted websites for their results, which may not be determined by placement. Many distribution partners filter through the results on a daily or hourly basis, which may explain why an advertiser receives a large amount of traffic on one day, but not the next. There are also other distribution partners that use a directory style format, with keywords readily displayed on the home page. Many of these distribution partners also change the keywords on the homepage to run different campaigns or to relate to different times of the year, such as holidays or popular events.

On precision, your ads are typically only shown on affiliates that are more targeted towards your industry (which is why traffic can drop so drastically).
    .../..."

Wish they would be a little more specific and concret. Like "yea, shoes sell well on our network but not socks...etc..".

Make sure you do not have auto deposit activated because they will charge $25 every time your balance is $0.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

After a long time without touching them I recently broke down and deposited a little money to experiment with (my recent thread in the midnight cafe about odd business practices). The same day the campaigns went live I was already demanding my money back. Same way I've felt every other time I've touched MIVA/FindWhat...

The traffic is fraudulent most of the time and next to fraudulent the rest. There may be a few times in between when it's sincerely just garbage, but even then, it's not worth the disk space used up in log entries. It's that bad.

Just go give the $25 to some guy holding a sign, any sign at all. Better than the frustration you'll get out of MIVA...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

And when your ads show up being distributed through adware, your merchants might fire you. There's no reason to use these 2nd tier engines, they're complete junk.

story today:
    http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070815/miva_personnel.html

check out the part i've bolded. from an adware perspective, gives me the serious willies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Miva Names Robinson Operating Chief

Wednesday August 15, 5:22 pm ET

Miva Appoints Chief Financial Officer Lowell Robinson to Added Chief Operating Officer Post

NEW YORK (AP) -- Online-advertising company Miva Inc. said Wednesday Chief Financial Officer Lowell W. Robinson will take on the additional role of chief financial officer.

Robinson, 58, has been Miva's CFO and chief administrative officer since December, and has worked in media, software and technology companies for over 20 years.

The company has seen weaker results as it works to restructure operations and loses ad revenue to leaders such as Google Inc. and Yahoo Inc. The company is focusing on its toolbar segment and scaling back on less-profitable ventures in Europe.

"In the case of Miva, we are comfortable the company is tracking in the right direction, though we wish it were faster," said Craig-Hallum Capital analyst Eric Martinuzzi in an Aug. 7 client note.

Robinson has "played a critical role" in Miva's turnaround efforts, and will have a "deeper impact" in his expanded role, said Chief Executive Peter Corrao in a statement.

Miva shares rose 6 cents to close at $4.62.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's always odd to me when people say that sort of thing with a straight face.

"Our toolbar segment..." instead of "cough...cough...toolbar...cough"
    Eathan Mertz

How profitable can the "toolbar segment" be?!?

Makes you wonder how little money they are making with the ads.

This is kinda like GM saying we are going to focus on the more profitable side of our business: personalized car keychains. To which Jim Cramer would reply "sell sell sell". :-)

Is this the technology sites like ebates use to develop their toolbar?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Since Findwhat/Miva.com merged I have refused to expose any of my ecommerce clients to the black holes created in their good shopping cart program. They are Adwhores, with the morals and ethics of Adwhores, so depositing sellable information at every "add to cart" click it way too much temptation for this crew.

I'll continue to play on the safeside and not build out any Miva.com cart powered sites. The plea their cart staff have that there's a wall between the two divisions rings hollow as the controlling powers know how to dig secret tunnels under any wall.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Miva.com is good.

Wow, jbp -- your carefully reasoned, cogent argument has persuaded me, especially coming as it does from someone with such a long history of many helpful contributions to our community, and whose reputation is well established.

I was especially persuaded by your careful analysis of the many reports of fraud and worthless traffic from Miva, reported by some of the most respected participants at ABW. Your detailed statistical information clearly refutes the information that others have shared. You sure convinced me that everyone else is wrong, and you are right.

I'll go over right now and start a new campaign at Miva.com.

Not.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Wow, jbp -- your carefully reasoned, cogent argument has persuaded me, especially coming as it does from someone with such a long history of many helpful contributions to our community, and whose reputation is well established.
    Wow. 2 years, 4 posts. And it took almost 2 months to offer these words of wisdom. Must have had to think about it for a while to come up with just the right words.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbp258
    Miva.com is good.
    Perhaps you could elaborate and provide some specific information on how you have reached this conclusion, which is so contrary to the experiences of the majority of the rest of us who have had less than satisfactory results with miva.com, and/or are suspect of their efficacy, reliability, and integrity.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

bad
    Eathan Mertz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast