Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forums and Message Boards question
    Hi, I'm thinking of adding a forum to one or more of my sites. How can I best do it and turn it into a source of revenue?

How to make money with a forum?
    What is the best way to get a forum up and profitable - what works for you? Adsense? Products? Something I haven't thought about? Seeking guidance here.

(I asked this in another thread, no replies yet. Maybe it was misplaced.)

Combining regular updates and the ensuing traffic with ads isn't a bad idea.

I addressed the revenue question in your other post; regarding how to add a forum, you might try YaBB or similar. They have an active support forum.

Thanks. And my uncle Mike is actually a doctor - I always call him Dr. Mike!

If you haven't installed a board before, it's sort of both easy and hard: easy to do the basic install...but the real work is in tweaking it for revenue-generating purposes.

could you point me in the direction of a board to learn from? thanks.

I sent you a PM.

Getting started, google ads are good to get some revenue off a forum, it's easy to add, and the contextual ads are targeted.

hazlcha

Adsense will do...

or Doctormike's advice

Change selective text words within threads to keyword links.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Talking
    Thanks for getting rid of the spam and the spammer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Spamming your site on forums even without a sig is a good way to get banned as well

first of all, your forum needs to be oriented and have content people are interested in. Lively ongoing discussions with adsense has worked. There are reports out there that outline the best places to position ads in forums.

follow up
    Thanks for the input. Now that I've installed a forum, how do I build traffic and members? What worked most for you?

ABW Ambassador
    I think you just did this whole conversation backwards.

And regular old forums are a dying out for being productive, compared to better ways to let users interact with your site. a forum allows discussion and then the sense of ownership overtime, allowing people to interact with your site can give them that sense of ownership quicker, and that then leads to the want to keep their property healthy and support it.

Yes, you can still do a traditional forum, and some people will launch one today and make it big - but I just think it is an old way of looking at interacting with your customers.

Chet

I'd love to get a community built from my forum, but I find it very difficult to get people to initially post. Does anyone have any tricks they'd like to share for this?
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Thanks, chet. I'm intrigued by what you say about other ways tp interact with the site. Can you give some ideas that are promising?

Quote Originally Posted by hazlcha
    Thanks for the input. Now that I've installed a forum, how do I build traffic and members? What worked most for you?
    What's your forum about? Your potential members are members of related forums, which you might want to visit and contribute to.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Join and contribute to forums on related topics.

the forum is about personal effectiveness. It is about how to plan to achieve goals. I envision it as a resource and support place for overcoming procrastination, and other blocks to sell fulfillment. I like the idea of posting on related forums, as I am already a member of a couple of forums like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lschofield
    I'd love to get a community built from my forum, but I find it very difficult to get people to initially post. Does anyone have any tricks they'd like to share for this?
    Create topics that are New and Different from everywhere else.

I have one on paid test drives that seems to get alot of traffic. Unfortunately, the only posts are people requesting to get my email updates on the subjects that I offer (i.e. "yes please" and that will be their only post...) Had a few goodies, but they've all moved to fatwallet. I think once I get more traffic , and more members maybe....
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

You might find other more related forums; I don't know, maybe forums that touch upon one or another of your respective areas. For example, a quick Google search shows some nice-looking possibilities for "procrastination forum", and I bet you could find similar ones for your other topics.

One thing to keep in mind when you're building a forum is to keep the choices small to begin with. ABW is an example of a site that grew as its users and paying advertisers grew. Almost all forums start off with no more than 10 subtopics, and tend to expand as the audience demands it.

Starting a forum requires a lot of work and energy, and you have to converse with everyone. However, one thing a lot of people miss is DONT IGNORE YOUR PERSONALITY! If you think someone is a jerk, call 'em out on it. If you find a great conversationalist, invite them to be a mod or give them a special avatar or something. Your first 50 users will likely be the most important.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast