Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    If we are actually going to get organised for this meeting, then we need to have the vote. I'm not sure if Heyder or BLFH are supposed to be in control of this, but I suggest that whoever is gets going now.

We need to choose our reps today.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

I would like to respectfully submit that the voting poll be placed at a third party site.

That way any impression of impropriety would not be an issue.

Possibly Wayne Porter could set it up for us.

Vicki

Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    I trust the people here at ABW to run a fair vote, Vicky. The people that are going to oversee it aren't actually on the ballot. I would trust ABW members a whole lot more than some strangers to keep this fair!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

ABW Ambassador
    I think everyone that is going to vote already has. Also, IF there is to be another, an all-inclusive one needs to be announced, perhaps even sending out a mailing to all members of ABW.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    If everyone has voted, where might I find the tally?

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.org/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Many have expressed opinions, but that's not a vote.

I'm sure they'll get it organized shortly!

Somewhere, I am sure, the Gods of War are laughing.

I do not believe there has been a vote, only opinions given and names put forward.

I would like to see an independant polling place with all the names suggested listed. (the ones who have not declined)

With everything that is going on, I feel it is imperative to have this vote outside of ABW.
    This is the fair and democratic way of doing things and also this way no one can come back and say anything about the tally.

Vicki

Happiness is a choice that requires effort at times.

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't been posting many negative posts, but I feel that there is not going to be a vote, and Haiko and Shawn will be going by default! I just don't see things happening.
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Was going to say something helpful here...a suggestion, but last time I did I got criticized by a moderator.

I'll just wait until you can figure out how to organize the voting process.

ABW Ambassador
    Let's DO IT~!

BUMP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I feel that there is not going to be a vote, and Haiko and Shawn will be going by default! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This would be SO VERY WRONG!!!! I do not believe ABW or Haiko would EVER recover from the damage to reputation and loss of trust and respect.

Haiko and ABW would look like dam*ed fools in the eyes of the whole community.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    Everyone should look down in this Category and recognize the fact that EVERY thread has already been closed and NO decision has been openly finalized.

Finalizing Nominations to Standards Meeting!

and

Nominations - How Can We Do It?

Are locked topics.

I am starting to get the impression that we are NOT going to be allowed to send a representative.

I can understand Haiko going although he stated in haste that he would not. But, it should also be understood that he goes representing himself only and was not particularly chosen by anyone to represent the affiliate voice.

And, while Shawn has many insights and much knowledge, I also do not feel there is any reason to believe that he represents the thinking of the majority of this board or of affiliates anywhere.

I want to see the voting start and put to rest this uneasy feeling that I have. If we are not allowed to send a delegate chosen by the membership, it is rank and dastardly betrayal.

Elizabeth was obviously the front runner before the recent unpleasantness. I believe she would still win. I also believe that on this issue she does carry the affiliate voice.

I want to see it put to the vote forthwith.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on October 15, 2002 at 10:23 PM.]

I started the "Nominations - How Can We Do It? " post in an effort to get the voting on it's way. Yes, it was closed, but more importantly, it never would have gotten off the ground anyway. Voting will be the easy part. It's getting people here to come to agreement on how to vote that is the problem.

Yeah, I'll probably get critized for this too, but at least I did try to get the ball rolling.

SSanf -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>And, while Shawn has many insights and much knowledge, I also do not feel there is any reason to believe that he represents the thinking of the majority of this board or of affiliates anywhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have never exibited anything but a pro-affiliate stance on this issue. I'm not sure why you think I would not represent the stance of affiliates.

My program (ClubMom) has absolutely none of the parasites in it. I am an affiliate, and my commissions play a significant role in helping to support my family, so I certainly have a vested interest in the outcome. And I have been working to bring awareness to the issue from the start:

Back in July 2001, my article on the dangers of Microsoft Smart Tags ran on ClickZ.com, which helped to bring attention to this technology.

In November 2001, my affiliate newsletter featured a call to action re: WhenU/SaveNow - at the time, I didn't see anything else about this application, and my information about the issue was frequently cited in articles and on sites that covered the issue back then.

If you have any questions for me, I'd be glad to answer them.

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://iAfma.us/

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm not sure if Heyder or BLFH are supposed to be in control of this, but I suggest that whoever is gets going now.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not me AFAIK. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I just agreed to try and get a list of all the nominees together as per Elisabeth's request. I haven't seen Haiko around much at all today. I know that he has had pneumonia and he posted yesterday that he had finally taken medicine and crashed until 2 pm yesterday. I'm hoping his absence today doesn't indicate he's gotten worse, but that he's finally decided to maybe take care of himself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Anyway, I think I saw somewhere (but can't remember now) that Heyder would be conducting the vote. But I will try to track it down tomorrow if no vote shows up and let everyone know what is going on and when the vote is happening. FWIW (the status of the vote, not the vote itself).

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH,

I have asked : http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=1056059141

If Haiko is ill (sorry to hear that Haiko) then perhaps Heyder can step up to the plate and prepare this booth.

Thanks,
    Wayne

It was not stated that Heyder would run the election. I had suggested he moderate it, but then withdrew my suggestion after he was critical of my posting (which I'll note that he later appologised for).

I'm not sure now he is the best person for the task afthe posts I've seen here the last few days.

Sorry, but that's my own feeling.

Ssanf,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haiko and ABW would look like dam*ed fools in the eyes of the whole community.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No comment.

==========

All,

Why doesn't someone open a thread and call it "The Vote" instead of complianing that it wasn't done?

I'll do it now.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Actually, I'll do it on a third party platform as Wayne suggested.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Oh goody goody . . . It's moving towards a decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do you consider to be predatory advertising?

In my opinion, there are some gray areas, but overall, I think plug-ins that have not been actively, explicitly added to one's computer are predatory.

However, if a user makes the decision to install a toolbar, then I do not think this constitutes predatory advertising, because the user wants to use that toolbar.

Thoughts?

"Keeping it Fair in Revenue Share"

&gt;&gt; Shawn@iAfma.org
    &gt;&gt; http://iAfma.org
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I think you may not represent the thinking of many of the afiliates.

SSanf -

If you wanted to be intellectually honest, you should also have included a subsequent post where I stated how I changed my viewpoint on the issue after further consideration:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've been trying to objectively look at the toolbar issue, and the comments on the matter by David and Boise make a lot of sense.

In my merchant hat, I appreciate that these (at least some of them) are opt-in.

But in my affiliate hat, it's a good argument that if it were so important for a person to get a rebate from eBates or earn money back from UPromise that they would go to those sites to shop.

Now that would be showing true affinity. But if a user goes to my site, which is geared towards parents, and clicks on a link to buy a certain product from Baby Gap, then I made the sale.

Sure, that person may have set up an account through UPromise, but if I ultimately referred the sale, then it ought to me my commission.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn Collins
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://iAfma.us/

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But in my affiliate hat, it's a good argument that if it were so important for a person to get a rebate from eBates or earn money back from UPromise that they would go to those sites to shop. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shawn, you hit the nail on the head!

The vast majority of people with these downloads on their computer don't realize what's happening when they click on a link. They think they're doing business with the site they were visiting. Maybe they were told before they downloaded the software, but the fact is they either didn't understand what it meant, or they didn't see the shopping part in the TOS.

I believe as an industry, we are overlooking the most obvious indicator of what the end user truly wants: if they want rewards, discounts, coupons, etc., they would go to the sites that offer those things in the first place, and shop from there.

If they're on an affiliate site and click a link to buy something, it's clear to me that they intend to do business through that site. Once they click on a link, nothing should happen to change, influence, or interrupt the process.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I am "intellectually honest". That was my concern. I told you what it was and gave you a chance for further clarification.

That's about as good as it gets for "intellectual honesty"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast