I need organization skills here
    Hello Everyone,

I am hoping that somebody will be willing to share your wisdom with me. I need to get an idea how you organize your work time. It's not that I don't sit and do my work but I get to working and next thing I know I am off on a rabbit trail. (The internet is bad for rabbit trails)

I would like an idea of how you go about your work duties as in:

You start with ******
    Than you do 1 - 2- 3- ect.
    Just a rough idea I am not asking you to lay out my day for me.

I know we all do things differently. There is sooooo much to learn and do it gets very confusing at times.

I know part of my problem is I am learning as I go. So if I see something that is informative, I run over to it and read it. Than I am off track for the day as that leads to something else.

And by the end of the day I realize I have spent the whole day working hard and nothing is completed as it should be.

I did receive my FIRST affiliate check although it is small, but it is like saying sic em to a dog.

I really really want to make this a success. And make everybody stop laughing at this grandma with silly ideas.

Do appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    LindaLS

Linda,

I set up priority lists. Top of the list are things I absolutely must get done today. Then comes important issues that can wait a day or two. Then monthly items (just in case I run across something relevant that might be useful to one of those projects) and lastly is my list of hundreds of things I wish I could do.

I work early in the day on my priority list for the very reasons you listed, it is easy to get side tracked, especially if I have an affiliate that has a question or need as those immediately move to the very top of the list and can postpone other things.

When I was an active affiliate I would make a goal of how many pages I would build a day, with an ultimate goal of how many in a week. Some weeks I would get everything done in one day and could spend the rest of the week dreaming and researching new ideas. Some weeks I could not get motivated and would have to do double duty the next week.

Sadly, as we do have to be self motivated, we are not always inspired when we sit down to work, so you have to have some flexibility.

Set part of your week aside for site building and updating. It also helps to set aside time to research potential merchants.

Hope this helps. Much success!
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Online Marketing Consultant
    I rely heavily on outlook and pop-up alerts on my computer. That way when I get sidetract, I have something automatically nagging me reminding me of deadlines and projects.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Great explanation, Ron. Lists are so powerful. And useful in many ways.

I like the alarms of ACT myself and they are much like Liquidate said. When I pay attention to them and don't keep snoozing I feel better about making progress. They work especially great when you tell someone you will do something next week, month, etc. and you do follow-through. It's amazing how that suprises people and shows them you are serious. Any calender software with pop-up reminders would suffice. When you have ideas or things you think you should do. Add it like a note to yourself but put out there a day or week in advance. When it pops up you will have a new perspective and a chance to do, delay, or delete. Sometimes that delay gives you a new perspective.

Note: I'm preaching to myself here. I'm half-assed at best at this; But I know it is empowering to follow-through whenever you can set it up. There's just too many distractions and actually good rabbit trails to follow. Focusing while not losing perspective can be the biggest challenge. If you capture your earlier thoughts and set dates or times it can bump you back to your personal focus right when you would normally be allowing yourself to get distracted.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

One day at the office, years ago, the server was busy and they turned off email until 4:00. Productivity skyrocketed.

It's hard to get things done in interrupt mode. Ignore the email inbox and similar distractions until a fixed time in the day. That leaves you free to do what you *need* to do first.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Hello,

I usually start off my Monday's with organizing myself for the week, month and the year. Once I know what I need to accomplish for the month/year, I know what my week is should look like. This gives me the ability to focus on the goal, without letting other distraction come into play.

I learned a while back that moving into too many directions expands energy and you accomplish nothing. I make sure all e-mails, magazines, phone calls, etc. are relevant to what I am doing, so my focus is on target. I avoid getting caught up in the elementary issues or obstacles that come up and keep moving forward.

To briefly go into detail:

1st: I first check our forum, my domains, update my blogs and read industry material that is relevant to our business. This allows me to understand direction, trends and business opportunities in our field.

2nd: I check my calendar and review meetings, apointments and conference calls, etc.

3rd: Verify and check all revenue related tasks and make sure everything is on track

4th: Answer email and begin my work day.

5th: I make sure once a week I contact all the people that are important to me

6th: Lastly, every first of the month I create a document outlining everything I accomplished and verify if they were relevant to my goals. I then Make tweaks, changes, and keep on truckin!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Thank you everyone, this is information I needed. Also it is good to know I am not the only one that can get off on a rabbit trail.
    This will help me.
    LindaLS

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LindaLS
    Also it is good to know I am not the only one that can get off on a rabbit trail.

LindaLS
    Linda,

The "rabbit trails" are what make the Internet so powerful and compelling. Consider that it's what will draw visitors to your site and use it to your advantage, while learning to bypass the deep ones that will take you further into the abyss of time wasting (although I absolutely believe in wasting time for fun). :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I recall an old sales tactic that I have used for years and it may or may not work for you, but worth a try. Put a photo or two next to your monitor (tape it to the side of it if you need to so it is obvious) of something you want. Whether it be a new home, a new car, a vacation spot you'd like to go to, even a new appliance if that is something you really want or need. It is there to remind you of what it is you are working for, not just to pay your bills. When your mind is wandering and you see that photo, let it redirect you to your cause and make it seem less like work. The more you envision the thing you want to achieve, the more you will direct yourself to achieve it.

Early in my 20ís I read a book by Napoleon Hill, written in the 1930ís, called Think and Grow Rich. I recommend it to everyone as I think it stands the test of time and is not just about financial riches. He is best know for his hallmark phrase, "What the mind of man can conceive and believe, It can achieve." And if you think about that statement, it is so true. Man conceived the idea and believed we could go to the moon and we did. If they can do something that massive, why canít you and I achieve the little things? Well we can.

Okay, everyone is wondering what photos I have by my computer, right? I have three. One is my favorite picture of Yellowstone National Park, where I am taking my family of six in August. The second is a picture of a cap and gown, which is there to remind me I have one kid in college and three to go (yeah, no pressure there!). The last picture is really two pictures, one of my old '72 VW bug and the one next to it is a picture I found of how I want to rebuild and modify it (you also need to consider your hobbies and make sure you take time to enjoy them and get a break from sitting in front of this screen all day).

Sorry if Iím a bit off track here, but thought this might help more than one person. Organization is essential, but striving for a goal is also equally important.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Beautifully put. Efficiency is a means to an end, and that end is success as you define it.

Early in my 20ís I read a book by Napoleon Hill, written in the 1930ís, called Think and Grow Rich. I recommend it to everyone as I think it stands the test of time and is not just about financial riches.
    I agree 100% Ron!

I had not thought about adding audio & docs about Napoleon Hill to the AU site ... but I just added it.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread