Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Baseball season!
    My team played last night and what a game it was. Mets beat the Cardinals at Busch Stadium. We got the season's first run. I was also hoping for first home run and first stolen base but a girl can't have everything I suppose.

From the Mets MLB site:
    After a spring of uneven play, the Mets played sharply. As a result, they began their 46th season Sunday night precisely as they had hoped to end the NLCS in their 45th season -- beating the Cardinals. But it was all about '07. They asserted the Opening Night powers that seems to have become part of the franchise DNA and made their first step an all-but perfect one. They outdefended, outpitched and outhit the defending World Series champions. They outscored them, too. Watched through any prism, their 6-1 victory was something to behold.
    It was a fun game to watch, too!

That's a bit sad to me. My wife and I will probably move to St Louis at the end of August, and I've been trying to gear up to root for the Cards. I grew up 15 minutes from Arlington, TX and having watched Nolan Ryan throw his 6th and 7th no-hitters, as well as Kenny Rogers' perfect game, I'm afraid I'm suckered into pulling for the Rangers for the rest of my life. I'm in all blue today, and sporting my classy Rangers hat.

Our season opens tonight against the Angels. Here's to my eternal hope that their pitching can keep them in ballgames consistently enough to win a weak division...
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    Here's to my eternal hope that their pitching can keep them in ballgames consistently enough to win a weak division...
    After so many years of dominating offense and no pitching, your staff seems improved this year - especially if Gagne returns healthy, but your offense isn't what it was, at least in the outfield (Nelson Cruz, Kenny Lofton, and Brad Wilkerson??). a big comeback from Sammy would sure help.

Rhea, if Pedro gets back soon and healthy, that could make the NL East a runaway, despite all the injuries and suspensions in your bullpen.

2007 picks:
    NL West - Dodgers
    NL Central - Cardinals
    NL East - Mets
    Wildcard - Phillies
    AL West - Angels
    AL Central - Twins
    AL East - Redsox
    Wildcard - Indians
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

If our pitching staff was all healthy we'd be indomitable. Willie said last night he's hoping to have Pedro back after the All-Star break. Fingers crossed coz we'll need fresh horses in the second half of the season.

It was fun watching Glavine pitch last night. What he's lost in speed he's gained in finesse and he's one step closer to his 300th win!

PS: Even as we speak Toronto is having their way with Detroit. :giggle:

Internet Cowboy
    For the first time in a LONG time, I live within 2 hours of a MLB park, so get ready Texas Rangers, here I come!
    I am a baseball nut and yes, the Yankees still su*k (I threw that in for Shawn Collins)

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Where are all the Colorado Rockies Fans?? Just kidding... I watch about one game a year, and that's usually the world series at a bar with friends. But watch out for my Rockies this year. We are bound and determined not to finish last again.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

We used to live in St. Louis, and my kids are still Cards fans. Last fall was fun...

Braves fan here, I grew up just south of Atlanta. Beat Philly today in 10 innings!!!
    Myrtle Beach (where I live) has the advanced Class A minor league team for the Braves and I try to catch most home games. Fun to see the future stars. Glad baseball season is finally here.
    Hopefully the Braves will give the Mets a run for the money now that they've upgraded the bullpen.

Joey

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    After so many years of dominating offense and no pitching, your staff seems improved this year - especially if Gagne returns healthy, but your offense isn't what it was, at least in the outfield (Nelson Cruz, Kenny Lofton, and Brad Wilkerson??). a big comeback from Sammy would sure help.
    Our bullpen looks to be among the best in baseball (and I don't think that's just a biased opinion). Aki setting up the 8th, Gagne closing down the 9th, and Kameron Loe, Wilson and Mahay throwing in between. All we need is for the starters to give some innings, and I think we could have a shot.

I'm not too worried about our offense. Somehow, someway, the bats usually come through. I like Lofton leading off and stealing a few bases. I actually like small ball better than sitting back and waiting for one to smash it. Get Lofton and Catanalotto on, with Young and Texeira following, and I think we'll put up some numbers. And that's before considering a comeback year from Blalock or Sammy's return. For me, the years of watching wretched pitching blow 5 - 7 run leads has trained me to trust the offense, and distrust anyone throwing the ball (unless it's a 40 year old throwing a 95+ mph fastball at Robin Ventura).

But for some reason, I still cling to hope (maybe it's the part in me that roots for the Cubs and Mets...).
    Chris Sturgill

I like Lofton leading off and stealing a few bases.
    Lofton will be 40 soon, and he was a liability for the Dodgers last year. He hit just over .300 and stole about 30 bases, but he doesn't have the range he had in center, is no longer sure-handed, and can't throw. Funny, in Juan Pierre the Dodges got a younger version of the same player to replace him.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Lofton will be 40 soon, and he was a liability for the Dodgers last year. He hit just over .300 and stole about 30 bases, but he doesn't have the range he had in center, is no longer sure-handed, and can't throw. Funny, in Juan Pierre the Dodges got a younger version of the same player to replace him.
    I like Pierre a lot, but Lofton's a winner. Let's be honest, when Will Clark came to Texas he wasn't exactly at his peak. But he was a winner. With him in the locker room, Texas took a couple of divisions. Lofton's the same. Done nothing but won wherever he's been. I'll take an aging center fielder who can add some quality to the locker room any day.

Our outfield is weaker now than at any time I can remember. That I'll give you. But I don't think it will prove to be as wretched as people want to make it out. We've got an amazing (and young!) infield, and an interesting mix of old and inexperienced in the outfield. But I think it will play out. We can always rent another Carlos Lee if it comes down to it (but maybe Jon Daniels can find a guy who can field this time...).

I'll miss "I won't tell you if I took steroids or not" Matthews. He performed big in his contract year, and he hit a payday. But my heart goes out to a guy who's old school like Lofton. And it's good to have Cat back. And Sammy, well, Sammy's Sammy (brought up in the Rangers organization, by the way). I just hope he keeps his mouth shut (unlikely, I know).
    Chris Sturgill

I like Pierre a lot, but Lofton's a winner. Let's be honest, when Will Clark came to Texas he wasn't exactly at his peak. But he was a winner. With him in the locker room, Texas took a couple of divisions. Lofton's the same. Done nothing but won wherever he's been. I'll take an aging center fielder who can add some quality to the locker room any day.
    I can't agree more about certain players bringing a wining attitude to wherever they go. Kirk Gibson changed the total attitude of the Dodgers in 1988, and that was their last title. Curt Shilling is another great example - first with Arizona and then Boston. But - their skills have to still be good enough to make the plays, or their "presence" won't mean much.

Your're sure right about your infield. Young should win an MVP one of these years soon.
    And Sammy, well, Sammy's Sammy (brought up in the Rangers organization, by the way). I just hope he keeps his mouth shut (unlikely, I know).
    We all know who was in charge when they traded him away. I'll say no more. (no politics)

It is amazing that everyone loves their team this time of year and anything is possible. We all know the Mets are going to beat Boston in 6 games in the world series but it is still nice to think we all have a shot.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    It is amazing that everyone loves their team this time of year and anything is possible. We all know the Mets are going to beat Boston in 6 games in the world series but it is still nice to think we all have a shot.
    Exactly right, except for it's the Dodgers in 7 over the Angels.

nyfalcon wrote:
    We all know the Mets are going to beat Boston in 6 games in the world series but it is still nice to think we all have a shot.
    Wow, I like the way you think! That would be an awesome series. My favorite series from last year is when the Mets were at Boston. Even though we lost to them it was the most exciting series to watch. Two great teams performing at peak.

Go Twins! Watching now, 2nd inning and already back to back homeruns!

Rhea - I don't think we even need Pedro this year as all the teams in the NL east are easy to beat.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Maybe so but I'd miss Pedro just the same. He's such a character. Either way it's going to be a fun season for Mets fans!

My Marlins had a good start by beating Washington 9-2 I know were young and are supposed to be mediocre at best, but you never know (remember 2003)!

The Marlins have some great young talent, especially on the pitching staff, and one of the games' great young stars in Miguel Cabrea, but your owner, Jeffrey Loria, set the team back two years by not being able to get along with Joe Girardi, NL Manager of the Year, who's now back as a MLB announcer.

As a life long CUBS fan, our season started today as it left off last year. Yep, we LOST! New Manager Lou Pinella was greeted, on opening day with the fact that the CUBS are being sold...along with the Trib, Times, etc.

Now millions of CUBS Fans worldwide will not only expect a winner, they will demand it...but NOT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    For the first time in a LONG time, I live within 2 hours of a MLB park, so get ready Texas Rangers, here I come!
    I am a baseball nut and yes, the Yankees still su*k (I threw that in for Shawn Collins)
    Let me know when you're coming around and I'll get some nice tickets for us for the Yanks.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread