Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Haiko,

Would you be so kind as to prepare a public voting booth at ABestWeb so that affiliates and members of all communities can come together to select candidates?

Can you please set this up so that the polls that do not reflect nicknames, as others want to know who these people are before casting their vote. This vote should expire at midnight on the 18th which is when I asked ABW to have candidates ready.

As some may have issues with having one community host it I would suggest using FreeVote.com or a simliar voting service on a neutral grounds. This will further ensure fairness.

Once that is done we can proceed with priming delegates and moving forward.

Before for anyone asks me- I will not be voting in this candidate selection. Thanks.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Can you please set this up so that the polls that do not reflect nicknames, as others want to know who these people are before casting their vote.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If their real names and not the nicks are posted, I won't know who some of the people are! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

BTW, who wants to know who they are before they vote? I'm being dense and I'm not understanding. Many are known here only through their nicks. I'm not following how real names is adding any enlightment for voting.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Wayne,

Thanks for taking the initiative here and getting the ball rolling once and for all.

The voting web site is a good idea. I'm going there now to see if this is a site we can all trust.

Using real names may be a problem. Many don't want to give that information out for reasons well know by professional affiliates. Why give out your name if you only have a slim chance of winning. I think this will really narrow the list of possible candidates. I don't have another suggestion, but just wanted to mention this.

BLFH is right in saying we would not know who these people are. Give out their real names and the peoplw outside of ABW won't know who they are either. So I don't see the point of that. If elected, then we can find out their real name.

I'm sure others will have similar ideas about FreeVote.com, but here are my suggestions.

Voters must register
    Must be set so they can only vote once.
    Voting progress (number of votes) must be made visible.

The only problem I see is that people could register under different names and differnet email address to vote. As most of us are web designers and have multiple web sites, we could vote under many different names and email addresses. I, personally could do it under about 30.

This is something that needs to be seriously considered before we set this up with FreeVote.com

Edited to add the following information which may help people better understand how cheating could occur:

By IP Address - This is the default method. It only looks at the user's Internet address, which usually changes each time you log onto the net. There are many problems with this method: 1) people can cheat very easily. 2) people often have problems casting votes because they're sharing an address with somebody else. However, the advantage to this method is that it's very easy for people to vote. Use this method if you don't care if people cheat in your booth.

Registered Voters Only - This is the new tracking method. It requires that all voters register and get a VoterID before voting. This method is the best as it lets everybody vote and makes it very difficult to cheat. However, it requires that people register first, which they might not always want to do.

But, if you use registered Voters Only, it does not check the IP so you are freely able to register under multiple names and email address.

I sure don't want to shoot any of this down. I think this is the first serious move in the right direct. Let's just find a voting method we can all trust and get going!

[This message was edited by 7-days on October 16, 2002 at 01:05 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    7-Days,

Hopefully people here would never cheat. Not only would it be a gross injustice, but it would be pretty ironic for delegates to go off and fight cheating if they resorted to cheating to be delegates.

I think the community will be honest and vote for their best reps. I am always willing to give people the benefit of the doubt because I think people are innately good.

Ultimately if someone tries to cheat it will come out. It always does. Everyone needs to have faith in their peers.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

I agree, Wayne, but there has been lots of mud slung around here the last few weeks and many feeling steped on. Lots of anger can lead someone to do things we might not think they would.

If only one person cheats and puts in 20, 60 or 120 votes, the entire voting process will have been a waste of our time.

Let's just see (quickly) if we can find some other program that has more safeguards. I've asked some other affiliates here to help me in finding something we all can feel confortable with. I challange everone else to do the same. Quickly - we only have a couple of days left!!!

ABW Ambassador
    7-days,

Thank you. Since there has been some rather heated disagreements I agree in the issue of fairness a neutral voting platform should be chosen. I feel pretty safe that everyone will agree this is a good course of action and I can see no real down side.

Please find something that has some safeguards on a neutral property or service. Heyder and Haiko please make note of this.

This really isn't something I want to be involved in guiding, but if it will ensure that everyone feels they are being treated fairly and without bias then it is the safest and most ethical route for everyone to take.

regards,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

ABW Ambassador
    I have already stated earlier in another thread that I had attempted to trick the Voting Booth parameters by attempting to vote twice. This was thwarted by the security of the system.

Let's just do it. We already know who's going. Let's make it at least pseudo-official.
    This isn't the Presendency fer-gawdsake~! It's an initial meeting to TALK~!

ABW Ambassador
    Cyclone,

No we cannot do that. It would be unfair. While the delegates are being selected from ABW the affiliate community at large has a right to cast their votes. There is more to affiliate marketing then just the ABW community.

I insist people's voices be heard fairly on a platform that is neutral.

thanks,
    Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Then WHY did you propose Haiko to do it?
    And WHERE are these *other communities?
    And who's getting them all together in time to get anyone together enuf to get there? I've been watching this go around and around and frankly it's bordering on absurd at this point to have it have any more points to be bordering on~! If'n you catch my drift.

ABW Ambassador
    ooops

ABW Ambassador
    I just noticed in the other thread that Haiko is getting this voting process underway per Wayne P.'s priorities . . . so I guess we just wait now for Haiko's return and the rest of the other communities to get together and probably hell to freeze over but I'm glad to see this thing moving.

ABW Ambassador
    ooops.

ABW Ambassador
    Whoops . . . musta been hiccups

Wayne,

I created an account there around 12:30am and still have not gotten the password to even set the thing up [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But, if you use registered Voters Only, it does not check the IP so you are freely able to register under multiple names and email address.

I sure don't want to shoot any of this down. I think this is the first serious move in the right direct. Let's just find a voting method we can all trust and get going!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hopefully Icicle with their multiple personalities (the different accounts here) wouldn't vote multiple times.

I don't trust it.

What is so wrong with a public vote?

==============
    Cyclone,

The voting in the poll can be skewed.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

It took me about 30 minutes to get my password last night, but it did come. That's how I got all the information about the voting process that I posted here.

I don't know what to tell you all. A public vote MIGHT be better than this, but you still risk someone logging in under several different names. We know some people who have done that this last two weeks.

Grasping for suggestions here folks. Any ideas before it is too late?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    nm, I read something wrong

ABW Ambassador
    Hogwash,

This topic as far as I'm concerned was started right here and it's the only place I'll vote.

Their have already been many attempts to address "a fair vote" and prevention of people we know nothing about undermining it's result.

You see....... Most of us :

DON'T TRUST THE NETWORKS,
    SURE DON'T TRUST PARASITES,
    and you Wayne well....

Your suggestion speaks for itself.

Public vote right here folks!

Oooo, hard post to follow.

I did a little searching and found WorldVotingBooth.com. I don't have time to pick it apart right now, but maybe someone else does.

I did notice they have links on their site to affiliate merchants. Hey, they can't be all bad. lol

But seriously, we do need to make sure this is a secure voting site before we consider it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    This topic as far as I'm concerned was started right here and it's the only place I'll vote.

Their have already been many attempts to address "a fair vote" and prevention of people we know nothing about undermining it's result.

You see....... Most of us :

DON'T TRUST THE NETWORKS,
    SURE DON'T TRUST PARASITES,
    and you Wayne well....

Your suggestion speaks for itself.

Public vote right here folks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I still think Haiko should just go there and get on with it.

But if not, I agree to that - do it here and make it a public vote.

Maybe exclude those who registered just recently. That would likely exclude me as well, but I won't be bothered.

An anomymous vote would very easily be skewed
    - register multiple accounts to gain access
    - or pass through proxy servers to change the IP
    - or delete the cookie, and then vote again

We do not want the parasites voting, do we?

A public vote is the only way everybody can see who has voted and that the numbers are correct.

-- Less is more --

You can't exclude those who registered recently as Wayne wants this open to all affiliates.

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Perhaps we should thwart any and all sense of democracy and conduct a vote with just one candidate.

That system seems to work in Iraq.

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

I would vote for me then. lol

Seriously, I'm not interested or able. But I do want to find a way we can send the best people, based on an accurate vote by professional affiliates.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ( edited out my comment )
    biting my tongue again.

ouch! ouch! ouch!

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    elbowcreek -

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Okay, so equating a fair, impartial vote to Iraq's voting process, that's really a nice comment there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wasn't equating a fair, impartial vote to Iraq's voting process by any means.

I happen to think that some of the suggestions are not fair and impartial.

For example, excluding voters based on their registration date at ABW (All affiliates are equal, but some are more equal?).

And I also think that holding a public vote may be intimidating to some folks, and persuade their vote, so as to not open themselves to public scrutiny and possible retribution.

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast