Pay Per Click to Affiliate sites
    I need to make some money, and I don't have the traffic to do it. So, I figure I will buy my traffic with pay per click advertising.

Can you please give me some guidelines for doing this? Do I have to denote my ads as "affiliate" ads all the time?

I'm good at ppc, but I've never done it myself for affiliate work.

Thanks,

use the search feature here, there is lots of good info out there.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by grnidone
    Can you please give me some guidelines for doing this? Do I have to denote my ads as "affiliate" ads all the time?
    All depends on the merchant's rules and regulations, but most of the time you do not.

I'm good at ppc, but I've never done it myself for affiliate work.
    If you're good at PPC, many merchants and affiliate managers (myself included) would love to work with you. Most merchants will also help you with keywords and advice on what products (and/or categories) convert best.

Jason is right. A search around ABestWeb will return a lot of relevant results. This section of the forum has quite a few good threads, but many other sections do too. So yeah, do a search, and you'll find a lot of responses in the threads already posted. If you do not find something, ask and you will find good help here at ABW.

Best of luck, and feel free to ping me any time you need a new good merchant to try.

Geno

I guess one question I have that I have not found the answer to is about where to send people.

So let's say the site with the cart is blatFlowers.com and they pay 10% for each flower arrangement purchased.

Can I send people straight from my ppc ad to blatflowers.com/roses?

Or do I have to send people from my ppc ad to grnidoneFlowers.com/roses which then will take people to blatflowers.com/roses if they click on the rose picture?

I'd like to send people straight to blatflowers and just not deal with updating another site.

The merchant should have a rule about this. Some allow you to do PPC straight to their sites, others don't. Check with the affiliate manager, or the program's ToS.

Geno

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Geno, what language, if you have an example, would you suggest to cover either option?
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Geno, what language, if you have an example, would you suggest to cover either option?
    Affiliates that among other keywords or exclusively bid in their Pay-Per-Click campaigns on keywords such as RussianLegacy.com, Russian Legacy, RussianLegacy and/or any misspellings or similar alterations of these be it separately or in combination with other keywords and do not direct the traffic from such campaigns to their own website prior to re-directing it to ours, will be considered trademark violators, and their commission level will be lowered to 3% on all sales. The commission level will be changed without prior notice on the first occurrence of such PPC bidding behavior.

[page 42 in the book]

Geno

your best bet for PPC is don't put your eggs in one basket. if PPC is going to be your focus..just get a general domain name..and try as many products and services as you can. you'll find some that work, some that don't..just get rid of the programs that don't work and build on the ones that do.

the most important things about ppc bidding is to make sure your keywords are relevant to your landing page. for example; if you are selling the color black...make sure you bid on keywords that contain "color black"...not keywords that contain "color blue". think about it: you use a search engine to find what you're looking for....therefore, you'll want to send web searcher to the exact page containing the material of what their looking for.

your landing page is as important as selecting the right keywords. be sure to link to any coupons/promotions in the top fold of your website. the best place would actually be the header of your landing pages. the key is, you want your visitors to get to your website, then get to your affiliate links. remember; these companies spend millions in advertising. they know how to close a deal so let them do it. all you really need to learn as a PPC advertiser is how to get quality traffic, and get 'em clicking....

as far as where to start: i recommend yahoo. many people are sour on them; i'm not. you'll get cheaper traffic then google.....even in some cases; more quality traffic. this of course depends on what you're selling and how your selling it.

i've been doing PPC for about 6 years now..i'm a full time affiliate marketer. trust me; PPC is a great way to go. just start out small..and work your way big; one product/service at a time. ppc advertising is very involved..but i'm confident if you kept it at (keywords being kept it at), you would reach your financial goals.

i hope this helps.

Thanks Cowboy,

I've actually done a lot of PPC in the past, but never as an affiliate marketer. Ideally, for the first campaign I do, I can just send the clicks straight to the affiliate site, and not have to put up a site of my own.

I want to do some of that before I set up my own site...and it'll allow my domains to age for a while.

Always check the ToS of the program you want to do this for. You don't want to front the PPC money only to find out that you've been breaking the programs terms the whole time and then have your commissions withheld. It takes 2 minutes to check and can save your soooo much money and wasted time.

Thanks Cowboy,

I've actually done a lot of PPC in the past, but never as an affiliate marketer. Ideally, for the first campaign I do, I can just send the clicks straight to the affiliate site, and not have to put up a site of my own.

I want to do some of that before I set up my own site...and it'll allow my domains to age for a while.

I recommend building your own landing pages, for the most part anyway. Sure, direct linking may convert better..but in the long run..you are better of developing your own web templates and finding out which ones convert/don't convert for you.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Those are great advice above and specially agree with this one too from cowboysfan "I recommend building your own landing pages, for the most part anyway"

You can also get some sound PPC advice from Donuts:
    G limits the ppc listings to one ad per domain per search
    M is similar to G but the one domain rule isn't as firmly in place
    Y doesn't allow DTM bidding continued here and here

Currently at BatteryFuel and CloseOut we have no PPC restrictions.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread