More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Would The Hyper-Promotional Page Work?
    I am promoting a non-profit website to the general public. What I am "selling" is an idea. Sort of like "selling" the idea of exercising 15 minutes a day that you see on TV psa's lately. Sorry I can not reveal anymore about this - it's part of my j*b. (Yet it's fun as heck since it is so much like Aff Mktg!)

Do you think the google-cash adsense-secrets clickbank-name-your-program type of page would be effective? This is the page with the hyper-headline, the big benefit(s), the highlighted text, and possibly the testimonials. I am thinking I could perhaps use the same format toned down a bit.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It depends on the idea!

Without more info, I can only make a general statement.
    If there's clear benefits, a regular sales page has a good chance of being effective. But if it's some kind of emotional mush premise behind the idea, the ads will need to reflect that.

my j*b
    *recoils in horror!*
    Oh noooo... I didn't remember you getting Borged. Maybe I just shut that out of my memory...

Edit: Now I vaguely remember a post that you were looking for one of those Things. Well at least you didn't end up stuck doing something that sucks!

Actually, the j*b I will be working at will be kind of fun and will be similar to AM in a lot of ways. I never did make "the big move" due to my family commitments and lots of health care costs.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Now that I reread your first post, I realize just what kind of sales page you were talking about! One of those scammy-looking "get rich quick" pages--not what I think of as a regular sales page. (Disclaimer if it's not clear by the preceding statement: I don't like that kind of page.)

I guess I missed the specifics of the page type due to the j*b part of your post; my attention went there right away. (So do you usually do marketing? Advertising is one of the few things that ever was on a very short list I had of potentially-acceptable "real" careers. But fortunately, AM got to me first. And AM is still a form of advertising/sales. [I never did see marketing/advertising and sales as totally different things.])

Anyway, as for a sales page, I wouldn't write one like a ClickBank page, just because people *expect* to be sold some kind of get-rich-quick thing or guru ebook when they come across that type of a page. It's like a "category brand" if you will.

It's like when people see a can of a certain shape, they immediately know that there'll be pop (soda) inside of it. A pop can is great if you're selling a new kind of carbonated drink. But if you're selling chocolate milk, better to use a carton or bottle, just because chocolate milk-buyers will be looking for that packaging.

So the thing to consider is, will the packaging match the idea inside, and the demographic you're trying to reach?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Agree with leader, the minute I see the long scam pages, I think scam. Or someone who bought a guru book to try and learn to scam. The only people I ever see making those pages are people who have drank the scammaster kool-aid. When a certain AM posted their pages here and thats what they were, i never have looked at that person in the same way. It is just a broken mindset.

Why do you think that would be an effective layout?

Chet

As long as your content and testimonials are novel-sized, but without the benefit of multiple pages, you'll be fine

But, seriously, why do those pages think it's necessary to try to cram as many words as possible on to one page?

Go with a nice professional layout, I think you'll generate a better response.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

Thanks all for your responses. I know that type of page does not appeal to me either. But I, like you all, know what this type of page usually leads to.

The general public may not make this assumption however. Also, Joel Comm's Adsense page, for example, is not leading to a scam and he seems to be an above-board type of fellow that knows quite a bit about marketing.

I will probably search around some more and check out some more types of landing pages that perhaps are leading to something more similar to what I am promoting.

I've actually wondered, like you, how successful these pages are. Personally, I can't stand to look at them (if for no other reason, the design is unfriendly), but a lot of big name people use this style of web pages for various purposes.

It would be interesting to see what kind of user response these pages generate.
    Chris Sturgill

Whenever I land on any of those style pages I leave.

I close my browser and click on my shortcut that automatically deletes my cookies and launches a spyware/malware/virus scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack
    Whenever I land on any of those style pages I leave.

I close my browser and click on my shortcut that automatically deletes my cookies and launches a spyware/malware/virus scan.
    I'm not quite as paranoid, but I definitely take off. But the original question is a pretty good one, and it leaves me wondering what of the web community as a whole? I certainly don't put up pages like that, and I think they're an eyesore, but a lot of well-established names (e.g., Robert G. Allen) use web pages like that. Which makes me think they must be seeing SOME sort of return. I wonder if that return is greater than with other styles of pages. And if not, why they are so prevalent across the internet.
    Chris Sturgill

Quote Originally Posted by cbsturg
    I wonder if that return is greater than with other styles of pages. And if not, why they are so prevalent across the internet.
    Just my opinion, I may be wrong. It's all about numbers. It's just to easy. You could spit out 25 of these sites in 1 day. You sell the $0.05 e-book for $50, pay affiliates $25 to sell it for you. Put up 500 of them an off you go.

The sad fact is there's a sucker born every minute. With the number of people on the Internet, some of them will actually buy these electronic pieces of trash and pay real money for them. As long as there is a profit involved, someone will find a legal way to fleece people dumb enough to believe the hype.

Note: This is OT from the original thread. Cheese is talking about doing something different. Don't mean to imply anything bad.

Well as you said "you are selling an idea to the general public" o.k. it's non-profit.
    Yes there are a lot of loooong sales pages, yes some (not all) sell rubbish.
    The question is do they work?
    Like them or not and judging by some of those that have made a fortune with them, the answer is yes they do.

But as commented earlier, it depends on what the product is and the what type of 'not for profit' organisation you represent as to whether that style is appropriate or not.

You could always conduct a split test and measure the actual results.
    That will give you the real answer.

Just my two penneth

Great question and topic.

I'm going to make two confessions here. First, I actually did buy an e-book from such a site. And it was actually a very valuable one, content wise. I suspect those pages do work, because they are over-the-top in their enthusiasm. While I would never look to them for art, they have a good grasp of an advertising fundamental. Get your prospect excited about what you offer.

My second confession, face buried in hands, is that I find those sites to be very entertaining! I never read through them completely, because there are only so many years in a millennium. Nonetheless, I find them funny. So funny that I even surf at Traffic Swarm -- gasp! -- for the entertainment value.

That's it, now I know that no one will respect me any more. But do write!

The practical point of this post is to learn how to put as much enthusiasm into your site as possible. Enthusiasm is practically irresistible, and can even trump gaudy, over-the-top-almost-sleazy, design. Imagine what it can do on a serious page!

follow up
    Just a follow up on my confession. Here's a quote from a Traffic Swarm page I just saw. Pretty much says it all, if anyone can explain it:

Crazy?!?

Yes, but no more than this young British Alex Tew of 21 years old whom, to pay his studies, sold 1 million pixels for 1 dollar each and got success. A Crazy idea wich had success.

If you could Freely participate, would you do it?

Yes, of course!
    Pixels anyone?

Affiliate Manager
    Those long-copy sales pages, done properly, can be surprisingly effective. Craft a great headline to grab their attention and write good copy to keep it. Don't oversell like so many of the ClickBank programs do and you should do fine.

Of course testing will reveal all. Make a couple different landing pages using different strategies and see what works best.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread