The Good, The Bad and .....maybe The Ugly
    I pause my site updating for a while to come and post here.

GC had provided a very Good system for us, i.e a simplyfied script version where affiliate like us who do not know anything about datafeed or writting script to make our work easy. There are many threads highlighting the Good about GC which I concur.

We started to create pages after pages of products using GC, main category, sub-category and further down. As long as the merchant do not pull out from GC we expect the pages with GC script to work well.

As I update my site, in fact I was changing them to php and going to use the GC php script, I found a few of my pages were empty, no products shown. I thought my site is not working, so I sign in to GC and view them from there, its empty. I check the merchant category list and saw that the sub-categories were no longer there. A Bad move, without informing us? Maybe not, they expect the affiliates to work and keep on checking their pages to see that it works all the time. Really, hundred of pages and to some even thousand of pages?

I understand that the script will still work even if the merchants add or remove product items, but it will no longer function if the category or sub-category were totally taken out, am I right?

If there is email informing us about the removing of category or sub-categories, I did not receive any.

Our pages will look Ugly without the product items or the script no longer works as the category or sub-category has been removed.

Anyone has any solution for this? How to find out and be in the know when merchants are removing categories or sub-categories from their list?

Thanks
    Richard

Well, well, it looks like nobody have this problem except me.

Unlucky for me to select and use the wrong categories/subcategories or wrong merchant maybe!

Thanks
    Richard

works fine when doing "whole store" but yes, when the merchants mess with categories our pages die.

Unfortunately, that's the case with any script and any merchant with categories. You'll find members regularly griping to merchants about just arbitrarily "improving" their category structure without saying anything.

The only solution I know of is diligence in checking, but it does suck. I don't think it's GC's responsibility to check each feed against the last one to see what structures have changed - it's more the AM's responsibility to let us know they did it, don't you think?

If the AM posted or emailed that the feed had been updated, with some categories removed and some added, then I would know to go check that merchant and all my various tools.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread