Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Little step for a really little guy
    In keeping with Aunt Lilly's inspirational idea to post little triumphs or successes, I finally have one.

Last night I recieved an e-mail from a very large clinic. This is one of those clinics dr.'s right out vet school pine to get into. Everything is state of the art, fully staffed etc. To make a long story short, someone on their staff had been e-mailed our site link from a another clinic receptionist that had recieved it from another friend and so on. The e-mail I recieved from this particular clinic complimented us on our site and then remarked that perhaps our business efforts would be better focused if we aligned ourselves with a larger entity, meaning them of course. I was surprised and well, just in shock really. We had never even discussed corporate sponsorship. I immediatley called my partner and asked her what we should do. She replied that ultimately, because I'm the business oriented one out of us both, it was my decision to make and she would support me no matter what.

Oye! That's a pretty big decision to make on your own! So I grabbed my muskie head can coozie, put a cold one in it and went out to sit on my patio. As I watch my horse gorge herself on the fresh green pasture I thought to myself WWDD. What Would Dave Do ....Dave being Dave Longabeger who founded basketmaking industry giant The Longaberger Company. This man who was held back twice in 5th grade, barely graduated high school, was able to turn a small family business into a nationwide collectible phenomenon. I knew Dave personally, worked for him for several years and valued everything he had done for our local community. When he passed away many years ago of cancer, it seems the spirit of his genius died with him because the company hasn't been the same since.

So anyway, I pondered what would Dave had done if someone had offered to buy his family business in it's early years. I also took in consideration the manner in which this "larger entity" had approached us:

"Perhaps you girls would benefit financially by focusing your business efforts wisely and aligning yourself with a larger entity."

hmmm, did he just refer to us as girls? With the exception of pet names given to me by by my husband, I stopped considering my self a girl about the time I gave birth 12 years ago and began managing several businesses.

focus our business efforts wisely.....which is why I joined ABW Not to mention, including myself, the girls in my family currently or have owned a grand total of 2 resturaunts, 2 taverns, 3 car dealerships (anyone remember Le Car from France.......no? Thankfully we had a Chrysler dealership to fall back on ) 1 mobile home dealership, 1 boating Association, 2 bookkeeping offices, a franchise of 3 photography/1 hour photo developing stores, and 2 taxidermy studios. We like to say we are either incredibly diversified or just have short attention spans.

Finally, we should align ourselves with a larger entity. Well, that would be cool. More money behind us means that we could bring in a professional webmaster and relieve me from banging my head repeatedly on my desk, the tears of frustration and the agony of defeat. It also means having a big name promote us. But wait a minute..........they found us because little people were recommending us. Which surprised me because I feel at this point, our site's a mess and still nedds ALOT more work. But apparently, our purpose is valued. Hmmmmmm, that made the decision easy for me.

I politely declined his offer. Perhaps in a few years I will regret this, but for right now, this does not fit into my partner and I's business plan which includes buying our own practice. I will be switching over to practice management in a few years and we have made plans to keep the website running as an extension of our clinic. Not to mention we are both spoiled only children and pout when someone tells us what to do

Maybe we passed up a great opportunity, who knows? But at least we had a big dog look at us.
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; April 4th, 2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Hey, whether you passed up a good opportunity or not, looks like you're moving up in the web world! Congrats!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Congratulations on being so highly recommended and on following your gut instinct.

The "you girls" was a red flag for me as well.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Thanks! I was worried I was being oversensitive about "you girls"

Hey Mindsprinter, remember me telling you about the Ligra skull? It's here!! I was way wrong about it possibly being young, this thing had to be a 400lb cat easy. The canines are about 5 inches long!! It's everybit as large as an african lion skull. I'll post pics once the bugs are done with it.

Wow, that sound like a cool skull! (I never though I would say that....)

Please post some pics!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Would it be an option to keep your existing site and develop a new site with the partner? If I had to choose between the two options, I would do both.

good point, I'm gonna have to think about that.

Luckily, I was very polite in my decline as opposed to saying "Listen hear you egotistical, condescending, little girls can change a tire thinking caveman...." like had originally crossed mind

You may be on to something there Mack, thanks!
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; April 4th, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling as usual

"...we are either incredibly diversified or just have short attention spans."

He he. I know the feeling! One thing though, if it's the attention span part, perhaps getting bought out would just free up time and provide funding for the next project?

In any case, congrats on getting some recognition and best of luck with your continued efforts!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

For a few of my aunties, it's definately an attention span thing but shhhhh, don't tell I said so.

I don't think at this point we could sell out, we have too many plans, too many goals with it. But who knows, I'll always keep that door open for negotiation.

Thanks for the advice! Ya'll are so smart!

The big guy might be after your unique content expertise. Perhaps they would like to create a Q & A column on their site, ie: Ask the Vet and have you author it (for a fee). Then you can add authority to their site without a real partnership other than that agreement. You can link to your own material in your resource signature box at the bottom or top of the column. The agreement can be disbanded at any time that the two of you no longer feel the love. Win-win for everyone, since no real partnership or sponsorship exists - everyone keeps their own site and you become an authority for them on one or more topics.

Just a thought. I would have turned them down, too, based on what they're proposing at this point. If they think you're worth sponsoring, then you're doing something right that should remain under your control.

I just wanted to say congrats! Congrats! You go girl! oops
    (hehehe)

Really Congrats!

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    Thanks! I was worried I was being oversensitive about "you girls"
    If I had responded to him at all, I would have flamed him so hot he would have vaporized! That whole sentence he wrote is nothing but flame-bait!

Really, condescending chauvinists are nothing but trouble. It's about the biggest red flag you'll see, short of an entire Google list of [that place]-sucks pages. If you had done a deal with that creep, he'd almost certainly soon be pulling all kinds of BS on you, with the mindset that as a little girl, you can't do anything about it!

Don't touch it with a 5000-foot pole.

As for the whole idea of sponsorship, as long as it's not that idiot, it's not a bad idea in and of itself. But I really see no need to keep doors open with the likes of those types. It would be such a deal-killer with me that there would definitely be no further discussions.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgrsgrl
    I was worried I was being oversensitive about "you girls"
    That would have sent chills up my spine, too. I don't think you were being over sensitive at all.

If this clown thinks you are worth buying out, he certainly isn't being professional or respectful by referring to you and your partner as "you girls."

Write him back and tell him his "boys" can't swim fast enough to keep up with you girls.

And what Leader and JMoore said ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, I think you absolutely did the right thing.

It is a really really good sign though that folks in the "right place" are taking notice of your work!

It seems like you have so many options and choices, that you certainly don't need to settle. I don't think in a few years that you'll regret this at all.

Thank you for Sharing!

Thanks all! I really appreciate all of you taking the time to let me know I probably did the right thing

It is very important to us for our venture to show the human side of veterinary medicine. If someone "larger" than us took it over, it would probably end up looking like the other veterinary info sites that are too hard to navigate, written in too technical of a language and are as cold and sterile as a surgery suite. We are real "girls" that do real things and make mistakes. Like the time I was doing a glucose check and when the digital meter started dropping 20,19,18,17.......I was like 'OMG! This dog is crashing! Get the Dex!" then I realized those #'s were the timer counting down until the actual reading
    That's the side I want people to see and still be able to get info about pet health.

LOL Rexanne, the comment about his boys almost made me pee myself!

And Leader, thanks for not flogging me at the mentioning that I will be going to practice management......cuz I'll have an office and .......a day j*b! At least in it's a field I truly enjoy and live everyday for.

Thanks again everyone! Power to estrogen enhanced people!!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread