Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    How many times do SAS merchants pay commissions per cookie?
    In CJ's system, on each advertiser's detail page, there's a category called "Action Referral Occurrences". As opposed to cookie expiration time period ("Action Referral Period"), the Occurrences refers to how many times the merchant will pay on a visitor's cookie, within that cookie's time period. If a repeat buyer going through my affiliate cookie buys more than once, over the cookie's lifetime, I get a commission each time he returns and buys (assuming the buyer is on the same computer and hasn't deleted cookies or gotten back to the merchant's site through another affiliate link or a parasitic toolbar/crapware). On the vast majority of my CJ merchants, this number of occurrences is set to "Unlimited".

In SAS' interface, I see no category for number of occurrences paid out. There's the little cookie icon ("Tracking Gap") that denotes when the cookie will expire, but no category specifying the number of times. Does this mean that it's always, in effect, an unlimited number of payout occurrences for every SAS merchant (within the cookie time period)? Or is there something else in the interface that I've missed?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spacedog
    Does this mean that it's always, in effect, an unlimited number of payout occurrences for every SAS merchant (within the cookie time period)? Or is there something else in the interface that I've missed?
    I've always assumed that since none of the SAS merchants I've joined have ever had a limitation on the number of visits, as do CJ merchants, that this was the case - unlimited visits. I hope I'm not wrong.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It is my understanding that as long as the cookie is on the users computer, no matter how many times they buy, you will receive commission for it.

For example, one of my merchants, during setup placed the test order to make sure the pixel was working. The next day they placed 4 more test orders for other reasons and they all tracked in SAS.
    KK

Thanks Kristin. I asked this because one of my higher volume merchants on CJ changed from Unlimited occurrences to 1 occurrence (a not very nice thing to do, especially with no email explanation or warning). This will almost certainly affect my commissions with them since it's a vertical with a good potential for return purchases during its 30 day cookie timespan. I wondered if SAS merchants have any control over it, or if it's always unlimited occurrences.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    As far as I have seen it is Always unlimited occurrence, I have seen no system for limiting it, nor should there be.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    As far as I have seen it is Always unlimited occurrence, I have seen no system for limiting it...
    Same here.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    As far as I have seen it is Always unlimited occurrence, I have seen no system for limiting it, nor should there be.

Cheers

Chris
    KK

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    A-ha! Spacedog and I were just discussing this last night long after my brain was already sleeping when I personally should have been doing the same! LOL

I was under same impression; that referral occurrences on SAS are by default, unlimited. Glad to know I was not wrong!

Someone wrote: "It is my understanding that as long as the cookie is on the user's computer, no matter how many times they buy, you will receive commission for it."

That's my understanding, too, and I know this was something I tested before launching the QuoteProducts.com affiliate program through SAS.

Note that it's the cookie that's tracked through ShareASale's system, not the customer account. In our case, we use Yahoo Merchant Services (Yahoo Stores) as our technology solution, and we cannot track and credit affiliates for subsequent purchases from a customer if they use a different computer, or if they delete their cookies.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better. Yet another way that SAS is looking out for affiliates' interests.

On the other hand, here's an example of yet another method CJ allows for merchants to take away commissions that should fairly be paid to us. Shame on the CJ merchants who set this to 1 occurrence!

Sorry, perhaps it's the wrong forum for that last bit.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread