How much should be paid for help maintaining sites
    I am thinking to getting help to maintain one of my sites which is a coupon site, so the helper must update the links and delete old ones as well.

If I update myself, Iam able to put up 80 to 100 coupons in about an hour, how much should I pay or what terms should I use to pay?

Should I pay by the hour or by links added and about how much should i pay the person helping.

I think an hourly rate is a better option myself with X many coupons expected to be swapped per hour or "your fired" ... or I'd give them $X per 50 to 100 coupons entered ... this is good for speed incentive if you've got many coupons to manage.

The other alternative is to create CMS that manages the coupon offers for you. This way you can enter coupon offers that will self start, expire & flush the coupons by dates, etc.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks a lot DesignerWiz,
    First of all about how many coupons offers should I expect in an hour and how much should I pay per hour.

Or how much should I pay out per 50 coupons posted

I am lost as to how much i should pay.

Also is there any good CMS out there I can use.

It's probably not reasonable to expect an employee to work at the same pace as you do. If you do 80-100 per hour, maybe cut that in half in terms of what you expect from them.

Thanks Doctor Mike,
    I think that is fair to split it into half and how much should I pay per hour, is $15 too much or too little

I recently heard an affiliate say that they pay by the hour also.

Do keep in mind that if you are giving someone access to your website and they can see what you are doing, what is to keep them from copying it and making a smiliar site themselves? Just be careful. I know it is the worse case scenerio, but it has happened (reported here) before.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Abusaki
    Thanks Doctor Mike,
    I think that is fair to split it into half and how much should I pay per hour, is $15 too much or too little
    Is it skilled work, or just repetitive copying and pasting?

You could probably find a student who would be willing to work for $15. It's an attraction for students to have a job that doesn't require specific hours, so they can do it when they have time.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    Do keep in mind that if you are giving someone access to your website and they can see what you are doing, what is to keep them from copying it and making a smiliar site themselves? Just be careful. I know it is the worse case scenerio, but it has happened (reported here) before.
    This is a very real danger. In a prior business I had proprietory material stolen in a similar manner, and since I have been in AM, I don't let anyone have that kind of access.
    I don't think the benefit you would receive is worth the risk.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

On the other hand, there are ways to protect yourself with an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and similar stuff. Talk to your attorney.

I agree with the need to protect your trade secrets. From a business perspective, the solution I'd favor is one that achieves that goal while also letting you achieve your other goals; in this case, by freeing up your time. To some extent, any business hiring any employee has some of the same concerns.

Also is there any good CMS out there I can use.
    A good CMS system for a pre-existing website is best built into the current sites setup if it's a successful sale convertor versus grabbing a ready made empty CMS system in a box product. Also keeps your code unique to your own site and no duplicate code/layout concerns.

It's hard to give any specific dollar amount to a CMS for your needs without knowing all the variables .... but generally a custom quality CMS will run from $2k and upwards depending on all the needs.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    On the other hand, there are ways to protect yourself with an NDA (non-disclosure agreement) and similar stuff. Talk to your attorney.

I agree with the need to protect your trade secrets. From a business perspective, the solution I'd favor is one that achieves that goal while also letting you achieve your other goals; in this case, by freeing up your time. To some extent, any business hiring any employee has some of the same concerns.
    Absolutely. But the risk depends on the expertise of and access granted to the employee. Here, Abusaki is looking for an employee who has the expertise to use for his own benefit what Abusaki is giving him access to. In that past business, I had employees who had the access, but not the expertise to use my proprietory material. It was a competitor with the expertise who did something absolutely above-board to accidently gain the access, and then copied and used the material.

A NDA might possibly cause someone to have second thoughs about appropriating such materials, but if it is done, suing in such a case would be counter-productive, unless hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages were involved. The legal costs would be substantial, and no lawyer would take such a case on even a partial contingency unless the potential recovery was considerable. Hourly fees and costs of litigation would be overwelming, the time involved in the litigation enormous, and substantial damages difficult to prove. (What is the value of the material stolen, what are the documented lost profits, etc.)

The question for Abusaki still is, is freeing up his own time worth the risk?
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

ABW Ambassador
    It is very hard to expand an affiliate business due to the concerns others have mentioned above. I've thought about having some help for years, but never seem will happen.

I think it is reasonable to pay a student $15/hr to simply copy and paste links for you. Since you asked "how much should be paid for help maintaining sites", it should be more skill involved to maintain a site. I will say $35/hr.

Unhappy Be carefull!
    I once paid a couple of people to maintain my coupon site. However these people are not as smart as you. Hear are the problems:

1.They will say they updated this many and only updated half of that.

2.They say the updated all the coupons for merchant and only updated 1 out of 10 coupons for that merchant

3.They may add some garbgae links fro mmerchants that have nothing to do with coupons,special deals or free shipping. For an example coupon link "blue Luggage"

4. They replace 1 out of ten links with their own affiliate link

Be sure you have a way to track what they acutally update, and in my case i spent MORE time checking their work than I did when I actually I was updating the coupons myself.

In my opionon, stay away from friends and outside help and just get your girlfriend or wife to update the coupons for you. (However in doing this, they spend about the same of your money as paying someone else to do this)

Quote Originally Posted by netnow22
    In my opionon, stay away from friends and outside help and just get your girlfriend or wife to update the coupons for you.
    This doesn't always work either. In 1975, when I was just starting out in my old line of work, with no secretary, dictating equipment, etc., my girlfriend offered to do some typing for me. Somehow we got through the dictation of one letter, which she then typed. If we had started a second letter, we would never have been married for 30+ years.

Now, she does research and writes articles for my sites, but I wouldn't dare try to begin to explain coding to her and expect to retain all of my body parts in working order.

Quote Originally Posted by Abusaki
    If I update myself, Iam able to put up 80 to 100 coupons in about an hour
    That's extremely fast. I don't think you could hire anyone who could work that fast unless they scraped codes from other sites. I cannot do my own that fast, look up links, verify, etc. and I've been in this business for 8+ years!

Nobody will work your site as well as you or care as much. Sometimes you must hire and for that I recommend being very careful, having all legal papers in order (and signed up front -- I've heard lots of horror stories about not doing this), and give limited access to logins and account levels. That's one thing I like about ShareASale which has various levels of account access that I can set.

In hiring a data entry person, it might be a good idea to get a retired secretary who was looking for part-time work and nothing more. Someone who was not entrepreneurial but just wants a j-o-b. These people do exist. You might require that they work on site with you also to remove other temptations that have been mentioned in other posts.

For avoiding bad behavior in employees, you could create a link checker that monitors your site's affiliate IDs and reports changes. You could specify in your contract that the work is to be done on a certain computer you provide and own and it has keystroke logging and security software installed. You can specify default URLs that work for most coupons so they won't have access to change them.

My advice is to hire on a contract basis for a fixed amount of time. Contracts can be renewed or not renewed. When you find someone good pay them well so they want to stay. Be careful about hiring family and friends since it's hard to fire someone you are close to if you have to do that.

As far as specific pay, there are regional variations so I would go slightly above the local market to get above-average quality. Raises can be given as deserved.
    Mike Allen | <a href="https://twitter.com/mta1">@mta1</a>
    <a href="http://www.businesswright.com">Businesswright Consulting</a> | <a href="http://www.shopping-bargains.com">Shopping-Bargains</a>

Oh, and I would pay hourly and give merit bonuses. I don't want to pay by the numbers entered since that could encourage sloppiness and content bloat. Make it a formal job. Set hours and create a professional environment. Flexibility can be granted when needed after trust has been achieved.
    Mike Allen | <a href="https://twitter.com/mta1">@mta1</a>
    <a href="http://www.businesswright.com">Businesswright Consulting</a> | <a href="http://www.shopping-bargains.com">Shopping-Bargains</a>

You might also mitigate the security risk by hiring someone you know (whether the retired secretary suggested by 123ibuy or a neighbor college student home on summer break, etc.) instead of someone online.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Ugh, don't forget your NON COMPETE agreement..... not sure if anyone mentioned that, but i was royally screwed by someone who worked for me, so don't trust anyone without all of the legal paperwork in place.

Wink
    Thanks a lot for all the suggestions and reply, it puts everything into perspective now,
    Actually, what i needed was a cut and paste thing, no skilled labor, what i was worried was the amount to pay per hour, I was wondering how much any of you would pay someone if you needed help so I don't under pay or over pay.

LOL, Abusaki is a female, i saw some one refer to Abusaki as a "he", sorry to disappoint you, LOL, my first name is Dorette

I recall hearing how in the Manhattan Project (US development of the first atomic bombs), they tested the cleaning staff to make sure their IQs were below a threshold, so there would be no danger of them understanding the information they saw.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread