Interesting read on ugly websites
    I recently found this article on ugly websites, their usabilty and how they convert. It's rather interesting read:

The Surprising Truth About Ugly Websites

Renet and his imaginary cat

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think the article's examples are a bit *too* ugly, but I've often said that an affiliate site shouldn't be too pretty (and I used to even say "ugly," but then some people took that word waayyy too far and made some truly hideous attempts...).

Those super-uglies the article mentioned do well with ads like AdSense most likely because 1) All they need to do to get paid is get clicks, and 2) The ugly makes people want to go away FAST!

But if you're trying to sell something, it's better if they stay long enough to read your pitch--and THEN go away fast, through the links you have designated.

So IMO aff sites should be not-too-pretty, but not so darn ugly that it scares the buyers into hitting "back" instead of the tracking links.

As for a merchant site, as a buyer I like those to be much more polished. An affiliate site is just recommending a place--the merchant is where I'm supposed to put my CC# in. If they can't even come up with a decent template, I get leery as to the security of my info. So I think his idea that *merchants* with ugly sites are more trustworthy-looking is bunk.

On the other hand, if an affiliate site doesn't look like it came out of some giant marketing department, its message can appear more "real" to some people. As long as the ugly isn't taken to extremes. There is a difference between hitting a site with the ugly stick, and beating one to death with it!

Glad they didn't spotlight my site on there.

Generally speaking, affiliate sites provide information, so that the search engines index them and the users find the valuable info on them. It does indeed stand to reason that excess beauty could actually disrupt the process of information from search-find-click to buy.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    I think the term ugly is not what he means. What he is comparing seems to be simple and functions vs professional looking. If its not functional, regardless of it being pretty, professional or ugly it probably won't sell.

The point is whoever you are, make the best site you can, I wouldn't go around makiing my site uglier than it is just because of that article.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

The way I see it, is that the purpose of the article wasn't getting people to make their sites uglier. The core of the article actually was the simplicity and ease of use that comes along with many of the "ugly" sites. It often happens that "professional" sites are rather hard to navigate. So, the basic idea is 'Keep it simple'.

You know, I've heard about the crazy adsense earnings of plentyoffish before, but color me a deep shade of blind, I can't flippin' find the adsense...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    You know, I've heard about the crazy adsense earnings of plentyoffish before, but color me a deep shade of blind, I can't flippin' find the adsense...
    *Takes a closer look*

Hm, me neither!

Seems like even a REALLY UGLY site would be hard pressed to make $300k a month on adsense without actually displaying adsense...
    Eathan Mertz

*Takes another look*

Oops!! I missed it before. There actually is one block.

On the front page, that ad on the left. They must have image ads enabled. When I looked before, I thought it was just a CPM ad (from somewhere else). But on this latest viewing, a text ad came up with G's tag on it.

And very strangely, when I checked "men online" just now, I found an adsense banner. This is strange because I'm sure I checked the category pages before, and didn't see any ads then!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

What the heck!?!? I swear those weren't there before.

Like I said, color me a deep shade of blind... At least I'm not alone.
    Eathan Mertz

Interesting article Renetton. I am a rookie web designer so you got my attention there.

Anyway, I also joined the forum there. Seems like a good, friendly and active forum as well.

I think the main point is that function and usefulness is far more important than an attractive looking site. Function and usefulness being equal, I would rather have a site be attractive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread