Thanks for any help/information. Is there any way for a site owner to know what website a visitor was at just prior to visiting your site?

Thanks,
    Lora

If your stats give the referring site then that would tell you.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Thanks, Gordon. So does that mean that you would have the exact website address, and could visit that site yourself?

I ask because I frequently visit a private bb, and then immediately go to a public board. some of the same people are on both boards, but not all. And some of the folks, including the webmaster/owner of the 2nd site SHOULD NOT be seeing stuff that is on the 1st, private, board.

The private board is a Bravenet free board that has a password on it, but if you link directly to the board, you can bypass the password. So my question is, could the site owner of the 2nd board see the board's address, and go there w/o needing a password?

No. The only way anybody could know where you came from is if there was a direct link to that site ( I will explain it using Bravenet and ABW for an example.

Say you were browsing on ABW then you typed in bravenet.com and went there, then Bravenet could not tell where you came from but if ABW had a link to Bravenet.com and you clicked on that link then by looking in their logs they could say SOMEBODY came from ABW, I don't think they could tell it was you personaly that came from ABW. At least that is how I think it works, maybe some of the Gurus here will correct me if I am wrong.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    There is a line in the HTTP header that tells where the user came from. Popular scripting language generally just give this to you as a variable, in PHP the variable is $HTTP_REFERER.

If you assign a cookie to the user, then you could track the user through the whole session recording everything they do while on your site.

Here, if you go to helloUtah.com/test.html, you should see a page saying what page you came from.

Missoula - Short Stories

Thank you yintercept I did not know that could be done.

BlueOrchid. Sorry I gave you the wrong information.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    To answer your question: yes.

If you have a link to the first page and the link has your user name and password in it, then you click from that page to another page, the owner of the other page will be able to see your password. It is awkward but I demonstrate that chain of events in the test page above.

Missoula - Short Stories

Thanks for your help, and especially for the test. I went to my private bb, and then to the test page. It was just blank where there would have been a website address. Thank God!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread