Merchant Enters Sales Manually
    Anyone else working with Cable Organizer on SAS?

80% (100% more recently) of my sales show up as zeros and are adjusted by the staff at Cable Organizer several days later, and I usually have to email them to get it done.

This has been going on since January. Having contacted them by email, they say they are constantly adding new products which don't get updated to the SAS system which is the reason for manual entry of sales and commission.

I'm not selling much at all for them, and I don't intend to as long as this continues.

It's possible that I'm in a narrow product category magnifying the problem.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    Having contacted them by email, they say they are constantly adding new products which don't get updated to the SAS system which is the reason for manual entry of sales and commission.
    Sounds like some confusion or miscommunication here. If they sell via a normal shopping cart it wouldn't matter if they added products to SaS or not.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Agreed. No matter what product is purchased - if the purchasing customer is cookied w/ your ID and checks out on their system, as long as they are using a pixel tracking system for their affiliate program anyhow, it would track the sale. Anytime a customer checksout and the post-order confirmation page displays it would track the sale amount and order ID on the affiliate program.

I have seen $0 transactions appear in affiliate network reporting as well and to my knowledge this occurs if/when a customer re-visits the post-order confirmation page either because it was bookmarked or by accident by retrieving the URL directly from the cache when attempting to re-visit the merchant site. If the post-order confirmation page is displayed on and no sale has prompted that action, the tracking pixel embedded in the post-order confirmation page pings the affiliate network to track a sale anyhow. However - in that case, if no sale ACTUALLY took place, the $0 amount would appear because the tracking pixel is unable to find a sale amount to correspond w/ the action of displaying the page.

You should be able to tell if this is what is happening, since there wouldn't be any Order ID associated w/ the transaction. There will be a network transaction ID but not a merchant Order ID. If that is the case and the merchant is paying you manually for a sale that didn't even take place then that's wonderful.

But it sounds like something else could be going on here since I can't see a merchant paying commissions on a sale that didn't take place. Perhaps check first to see if there are Order ID's associated w/ your $0 txns and go from there.

If there is an order ID associated with it, see if the merchant is offering any freebies that could be causing a customer to go through checkout with a sale amount of $0.

Best of luck!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    to my knowledge this occurs if/when a customer re-visits the post-order confirmation page either because it was bookmarked or by accident by retrieving the URL directly from the cache when attempting to re-visit the merchant site.
    It also happens when the merchant hasn't figured out how to pass the sale amount into the tracking code. (This isn't always easy; some carts don't like to fork up the subtotal figure on that page, and must be forced into obedience.)

In that case, the cookie's there, so the code triggers, but the sale-amount variable is null. So SAS's system turns that into $0 and a $0 sale appears.

If a merchant has nothing but $0 sales, that's where I'd expect the problem to be.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Sounds like some confusion or miscommunication here. If they sell via a normal shopping cart it wouldn't matter if they added products to SaS or not.
    I just rechecked the email from them and the gist of it is that because they are a growing company, they are currently adding new products every day, and these (same??) products were not on the last upload. (Hmmm...maybe they don't know what the real problem is...)

But it sounds like something else could be going on here since I can't see a merchant paying commissions on a sale that didn't take place. Perhaps check first to see if there are Order ID's associated w/ your $0 txns and go from there.

If there is an order ID associated with it, see if the merchant is offering any freebies that could be causing a customer to go through checkout with a sale amount of $0.
    Okay I checked that Liz - Looks good there:
    Order ID - Sale - Yes there is
    Txn ID - Yes there's one of those too but the sales is zero.

It also happens when the merchant hasn't figured out how to pass the sale amount into the tracking code.
    Really?... Doing it manually for 3 months would be a pain! Also, you'd think that this would be a priority to fix because affiliates (like me) get a bit ticked off when sales are (systematically) entered manually or not at all.

Good input so far - thanks all! I'll make sure to raise some of these issues with them next time.

Affiliate Manager
    Liz, that's really really smart what you've said and it's something that I wouldn't have thought of in a million! Thanks for any advanced need I may have for that tidbit of info!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Really?...
    Take it from one who spent about 4 frustrating hours getting a noncooperative cart to fork up the blinkin' subtotal. Many $0 test transactions ensued.

Fortunately, for me they were only *test* transactions...I didn't launch until everything actually worked right!

(Hmmm...maybe they don't know what the real problem is...)
    That's very possible. SAS's automatic go-live verification system doesn't exactly make it crystal clear when this problem happens. And, the cart doesn't hang. So there's no flashing red lights to point to the source of the problem. As far as all the programs are concerned, that item simply cost $0.00.

When the merchant sees this, though, they should start debugging, unless it's only happening for actual free giveaway items!

Doing it manually for 3 months would be a pain!
    Absolutely!
    Also, you'd think that this would be a priority to fix because affiliates (like me) get a bit ticked off when sales are (systematically) entered manually or not at all.
    I agree. I've been an affiliate for years, and I never trust manual setups (including "batching," for that matter). It's too easy to miss transactions, whether accidentally or on purpose.

But first, they have to realize there's a Problem that is of the capital-P variety. If they convinced themselves that it's just because they didn't upload products, they probably haven't even started troubleshooting.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread