It's an absolute pleasure
    Every now and then you get that phone call or that email that just makes you smile and say ...It's an absolute pleasure! This is fun!

A few weeks ago, I got a call from this sweet lady. She obviously was very new to the industry. She didn't know much about computers even. Every other word was "thanks sweety" or " your such a sweat heart" or "Oh My", "well now that's interesting". Turns out she was an 80 year old retired special education teacher who wanted to learn more about this "thing" called the internet. She didn't even know what URL was ....my favorite was "Paypal, what's that honey?"

So I spent sometime and gave her a few tips. Out of curiousity, I took a look at her site the other day and she has several banners (a little too many actually) and she has content. Hasn't made her first sale yet but she's working on it but what's more she's having fun and learning.

Moral of the story: spend a few minutes now and the smile lasts even longer!

I get a call from her every now and then just to say hi. I got an email the other day "What's this thing , google everybody's talking about it on those message boards or whatever you're calling them these days...."

Anyone else got stories to share?

I recently met an elderly cousin, also in her 80s, who told me proudly how she has learned to do email. She said her next project was to learn what "those wwws" are all about.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Did you tell her about us - ABW?
    We could all help.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    That's a great story.

I often spend time helping out my Grandma and she's 84. We email back and forth quite often and she's even met some friends her age online through some AOL chat channel

My goal is to get her going with a faster connection so she can better enjoy photo sharing, etc..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I think the Internet is the best thing to happen to senior citizens since AARP.

They find a whole new set of friends (since most of their real world pals are dropping dead LOL) and are entertained 24/7 with anything that interests them. They also make really good "input" members and are happy to share advice and their time with anyone who might need it.

email puts them in touch with members of their family and out of town friends they don't see often and can't afford to call all the time, they can stay on top of the grand kids, nieces, nephews, cousin's grand kids, etc. via email, pictures, family web sites, etc. Very cool.

AND they can SHOP online without having to get out of the house.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

And one day, perhaps when we are old, computers will be easier to use. I've been in the industry since the 1980s, and to my mind, computers are still like external-crank cars in terms of ease of use.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

This has nothing to do with computers, but rather the abilities of the older ones. My grandmother was 74 when my grandfather died. She sat in her rocker for about 4 months deciding what to do now that all her housewife duties were pretty much finished. She really didn't sit back down until she was about 95 and then she was 97 before she died. In the meantime:

She started college, studying art.
    She played the piano for about 3 different singing groups at church.
    She started traveling with a few of her friends and got to Washington DC a couple of times to help with various projects.
    She wrote a book of poetry.

If computers were easily available back then, I would have been at her house, teaching her to build web sites I'm sure.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread