Question I tried to buy a product through my own clickbank hoplink and...
    I am new to CB and to try and test out the system I bought an eBook through one of my own hoplinks.

It worked and it showed that I earned almost $50 in commission.

However.....

I tried it again, with multiple products and multiple cards (just in case) and CB says that they were unable to authorize my payment.

I sent a question to CB support and got crap back for an answer.

Is there something wrong with my CB account???

Thanks!!!!

It may have been flagged as an unauthorized affiliate commission and rendered your card unusable on your own account. CB states that you may not purchase products using your own affiliate link and receive a commission. I'm not sure if this would cause your issue, but it may play a part.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Lots of programs (anyone know a percentage?) forbid affiliates from earning commissions on their own purchases, because presumably they would sign up just for getting such a discount.

To me, that's very short-sighted. Imagine a marketing effort that has very little incremental cost that brings you a sale. To get that sale, you have to be willing to give a discount (i.e. affiliate commission). Sounds like Marketing 101 to me.

Moreover, if you further imagine that same customer, the one who signed up as an affiliate solely to get a discount on his/her own purchases...being asked by a friend where they got that cool new product or service. Won't they recommend the very same merchant, making that one-off purchase a form of viral marketing (i.e., what the merchant wanted all along)?

Just my humble opinion.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

I totally agree with you DoctorMike .... it's marketing 101 as you stated.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

CB states they don't pay commissions on self-purchases.

however...

The only commission check I have ever received from them is from something I purchased for myself. (about 10 months later!). Just my experience, YMMV.

But I dont make a point to promote CB stuff, just have a couple of links on one low-traffic site.

CB does allow buying from their own hop link, but it restricts when the buying is repeatitive.

BUG in order process or refund request
    When signing as an affiliate you did NOT input your credit card details into CB, Only name, address etc.
    When you bought the product, the identifying data is your credit card.
    Ergo - CB does not actually know you are an affiliate trying to buy using his own links - only that you are a person using a single affiliate's links to buy products, which should be fine.
    2 possible reasons for your probs:
    1) If after testing the links you ask for a refund - CB does not allow sales to repeat refunders. This combats freeloaders.
    2) THIS IS IMPORTANT: my CB sales have gone down lately. Trying to check why, i tried making purchases myself. many times i was blocked (cannot confirm CC details), other times I was OK. I also started getting emails from customers aying they can't buy. There seems to be some recurring problem with the order process, and this could be the reason for your problem.
    Hope this helped
    Brad
    Last edited by Trust; May 14th, 2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: url drop

ABW Ambassador
    Clickbank does pay commissions on purchases you make through your own affiliate
    link. I have purchased many products from Clickbank through my own link. However
    you cannot use Clickbank for the sole purpose of only purchasing products for
    yourself, you must make sales to other people and those sales must come from five
    different credit cards before you will receive a commission check from Clickbank. Once
    you meet this requirement, you can make as many purchases as you like for yourself
    through your own affiliate link:

https://www.clickbank.com/affiliate_...ff_question_16

15. I've made a sale, why haven't I received a check?
    There are two possible reasons:

1. You may not have reached your selected payment preference, which is the minimum amount of money that must be in your account before we send you a check. In your account you may select an amount from $10 to $10,000 as your payment preference. The default setting is $100. We hold your check until your payable balance reaches this amount.

To change your payment preference, simply login to your account, click the "Account Settings" tab. Select the desired amount from the drop down menu for "Payment Threshold", and click the "Save Changes" button.

2. You may not have met the Customer Distribution Requirement:

ClickBank accounts cannot be used for the sole purpose of collecting rebates or otherwise extending credit to yourself or others. In compliance with US law, ClickBank will withhold payment of any account balance until it contains standing sales made with 5 or more different credit card numbers, including at least one Visa card, and one MasterCard. PayPal and eCheck purchases do not count toward the minimum.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread