What makes a web host worth it?
    Hi this is my first thread in this forum. I decided to join a couple of forums to get in depth with web hosting. So to anyone who could give me some advice with any issue help me out Glad to be here

* reliable equipment/hardware

* 24/7 competent technical support

Hosting is often seen as a commodity these days, because most offerings are similar. But what distinguishes one host from another is the level and responsiveness of support.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

100% UP time
    FANATICAL support

Also, hosting is naturally a business that attracts techies. They're the ones who do the support. But there are techies, and there are techies. Some know how to relate to people, especially new users, better than others, and don't mind answering questions in addition to keeping the machines running.

Internet Cowboy
    Remove this $2.99 a month mindset and offer real, sturdy and reliable hosting for a higher price.
    The hosting industry is so intrenched in this CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP mindset that it seems most have forgotten that the consumer is willing to pay for good quality and excellent support.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    Remove this $2.99 a month mindset and offer real, sturdy and reliable hosting for a higher price.
    The hosting industry is so intrenched in this CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP mindset that it seems most have forgotten that the consumer is willing to pay for good quality and excellent support.
    We host our own sites on the same server. Inexpensive does not have to be the opposite of real, sturdy, and reliable. Yes, there are hosts who offer free service, which is often worth the price and no more - but it's also possible to provide good quality and excellent support at low prices with the right business model.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I absolutely agree that it makes no sense to go looking for bargains if you are looking to host a site that you intend to make money with. It seems that so many want to achieve wealth in this business, and yet want to cheap out when it comes to hosting.

Those specs look fine for a personal site, tho.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Internet Cowboy
    DoctorMike,
    My post was in no way a slam at your company or your hosting plans. But I must say that the company you appear to be reselling for is the worst in the industry as far as I am concerned. I had hosting with them once and was down for about 36 hours in my first three days and was only told that their server was doing a "file rebuild" by their support. This happened two differnent times in as many days and I was told that it happened at any time on any server and without notice.
    I have tried nearly every shared hosting company out there and I have come to the conclusion that most all of them are all sub-par in quality and in support. Many have displayed the attitude of "What do you want for $x.xx a month?" when it came to their support.
    I really hope your company is different. If it is, you need not go much further to recruit hosting customers than the affiliate marketing industry.
    My only suggestion to you is to lose the annonymous domain registration. Transparency says a lot about a merchant with an affiliate program as well as a business in general.
    Best of luck to you with your new program. I hope you prove me wrong. I really do.
    Scott

BTW I agree on free hosting. For a family to place photos on the web so other members can see them it is great. For business it is completely idiotic.

Reliability. Period.

Support responsiveness does not even come into question until reliability does.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

support, flexability and great uptime...no one is 100%

In genereal you get what you pay for. Lots of host like to sell you the sizzel like 2000 GB transfer...but who the heck is going to use that much? Be realistic about your needs...how many domains to you have or will have? One good rule of thumb that i have used is do they have a user forum and is it used? (what are they saying?)

Control panels are a big deal as well as how much cpu you get to use, that's why VPS plans are becoming more popular...you know how much CPU & RAM is there for your use and your not going to have your site knocked offline by some gamer forum that uses to much of the server resources.

listed in relative importance from my point of view:

1) uptime
    2) price point = storage/transfer*fee
    3) support (how long to get it and how good is it)
    4) resources available in VPS (left shared a long time ago)
    5) features
    6) node speed
    7) user forums...used? Helpful? full of knowledge?

if point 1 is not met move to the next host and so on ...2 cents spent ;-)

CUstomer SUpport Period

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    * reliable equipment/hardware

* 24/7 competent technical support
    As well as quick answering of phones. Before signing up with a host, call their tech support line first - you won't regret it. I did this and just said I was about to sign up and called to say hello, they gave me $10 off!

yes, I would also advise to chose web hosting for a higher price as when it refers to website reliablity after a certain downtime on oversold servers you will come to the idea that you agree to pay more but not be placed on a totally overloaded we server. I persoanlly chose eskhosting.com and as far as I pay about 100 USD per year I got what I pay for and may not worry about any things, good support is also very imporatnt thing as you should know that people that care about yur web site know what they are doing. Good luck

I agree don't skimp on pricing over quality.

1) Reliable Uptime and speedy servers
    2) 24/7 Support by either phone or live chat,
    3) Scalability (hopefully your gonna grow!)
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    What Cursal said, and also, if I need something, I know my host is going to get back to me quickly. We're not exactly lovey-dovey but we treat each other with respect and trust. I've worked with this guy for seven years!

Another big thing for me -- I don't care if he likes me or not, but he damn well better not ignore me! lol! He ain't cheap and his social skills are about as crappy as mine, but he is ferocious when it comes to protecting his turf and his customers.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread