Anyone have a smoker?
    I borrowed a neighbor's electric water smoker and smoked an 18 pound turkey for Easter. It turned out really good (so good that it was all gone by the time I got through the line!), so I'm now in the market for a smoker of my own. I'm considering a Bradley smoker (pictures below), which does either cold or hot smoking and has an auto-feeder that burns a new wood bisquette every 20 minutes.

Does anyone here have a smoker? What kind? How do you like it? I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone that has a Bradley or anything similar.

Here are the pictures of the Bradley smoker:

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I have a cheapo char-broil water smoker I use a few times each year.

My experience (and what I've read) leads me to believe that water smokers are great for fish and poultry. Not so good for brisket, ribs, etc.

The bradley looks pretty nifty though.

I don't have a handy-dandy smoker like that one. I just got the one I use one vacation for smoking fish. It was only 30 bucks about 5 years ago now, and I think it was made by a Northwest manufacturer - I forget the name.

Let us know what you end up with!

BTW:
    has an auto-feeder that burns a new wood bisquette every 20 minutes
    That's a lot of smoke! Maybe it's different for turkeys, but I only use one batch of wood chips that burns for about thirty minutes where the fish smoking process is equally about drying and salting (in brine).

Hi,

I have been smoking for around three years now. I also judge at KCBS sponsored events http://www.kcbs.us/ . Been doing that for two years.

I started with an ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) offset horizontal smoker. Had some, ahem, neighbor issue and complaints. So I then went to a GOSM wide body stainless steel model.

IMHO, you will get a better smoke ring and smoke flavor using a charcoal and wood smoke VS. electric/propane wood smoker. It is due to the lack of charcoal which helps produce a little more NO2.

Try hitting these sites for thoughts...

http://thesmokering.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/index.php

The first site is a little uptight about anything not wood and charcoal produced. They have some great information, very valuable to someone new the the world of smoking.

Make sure NOT to buy at Walmart as they will be of lesser quality. Also if buying from Home Depot using the on-line store I would suggest going in to a store with the model number. They will order and drop ship to the store. You pay tax but save on shipping. Also Craig's list is a great resource for a used one. This way you are not too out of pocket.

By the way research "burnt ends" for brisket, it's like an orgy in your mouth.

Take care,

Brian

I had the same neighbor complaint problem with my offset horizontal smoker.

Reflect, is this the model you have?
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Great%20...e=user-reviews
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Michael, the one you are looking at is a good smoker as far as water smokers go. You may want to check out Cabela's, they have a couple great smokers that do hold or cold smoke as well, great guarantees, and CS that we all know is 1st class. I have a six rack that I use all the time in CO, probably smoke 200 lbs + yearly of ribs, salmon, trout, loins, chicken, turkey, hams, etc. It's a great hobby that tastes great too!! Best of luck with your smoking experiments.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

This may not be the best company to ask this question in (or maybe it is) - but doesn't smoking food add all kinds of carcinogenic chemicals?

Carcinogenic chemicals? We call that flavor.

The thing that is appealing to me about the Bradley is the simplicity of using it. I know it wouldn't be as good as what a purist would recommend, but it wouldn't require anywhere near as much work.

I've read that the smoke rings are purely cosmetic, and that you can put a piece of charcoal on the element if you really want one.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    This may not be the best company to ask this question in (or maybe it is) - but doesn't smoking food add all kinds of carcinogenic chemicals?
    Yummm, I love my carcinogens smoked with a mixture of apple, hickory, cherry, and of course - hickory chips!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

haha man now I am hungry for some brisket. Can you send me some when you do end up smoking it pleaseeee!?

~Ryan

Correct on the charcoal, I just learned that one. To me it is an ego thing, no ring might as well bake in the oven and add liquid smoke. I mean no offense.

My model, being the stainless steel, it seems is no longer available. The closet thing would be http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS...p?pn=100397858

The above link keeps getting broken, sorry. The Wally world one that you listed is smaller and thinner metal.

A term used in our circle is "lazy que" when referring to a propane/electric smoker. Don't get me wrong, I have had to resort to using one myself for the next year. It all comes down to what works for you on that debate IMHO.

Cabela's has some nice ones but shop around and compare features.

The pellet feeders like the Bradley are nice and a good stating model.

Take care,

Brian
    Last edited by MichaelColey; April 10th, 2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Fixed Link.

My neighbor has the electric Bradley. He got it from cabelas and really likes that it offers better control and less checking. He says the only downside is having to buy the proprietory woodchip discs, or something. But you can different types of wood, which is good. (I'd recommend trying apple wood)

I keep asking him when he's going to fire that thing up again. He cooked meat for 3 homes in one session; that thing holds so much. So, Make sure you hide it from your neighbors freind. All it takes is one taste and they'll be hooked. In fact, I want to do some elk, I'm going to go over and bug him right now. hegh-hegh!!
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

I can live with the proprietary wood chips. The normal price is $20 for 48 chips (12 hours worth), and I'm sure I'll find some sales or discounts.

Reflect: I think I fixed your link. Let me know if that's not the right product.

So with yours, I'm assuming that you can't do cold smoking? How do you handle the wood chips? Do you have to put new ones in every few hours?

I'm encouraged by the responses. It sounds like the Bradley smoker is a good choice for what I'm looking for.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

someone should join an affiliate program. sounds like they could make a tasty commission by just PMing a link or two!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Many years back, I got this super duper propane smoker with 5 racks. I assembled it, and then lit it and let it burn on "high" as instructed for 1 hour. I came up to the deck about 45 minutes later and out of curiosity opened the door as the thermometer read 110 degrees, so I figured something was wrong.

I opened the door and noted the burner went off. Without thinking, I leaned down, and hit the magneto striker. Just as I hit it, the thought hit me that it was full of propane fumes, but too late. As the striker snapped, I heard this amazing fast "whooooof" sound go past me. Two seconds later, I noticed my face was burned, my hair was burned off my arms and chest and I had a super afro. Eyebrows were gone too. Blisters on my face and chest. Thankfully I was wearing sunglasses, or the corneas would probably have been toasted as well.

Oh Yes, that was my first learning experience with propane smokers. So if you end up getting a gas smoker, remember the "history" of this lest ye be doomed to repeat it.

Alan "Smokey Snookems Tarpon" Hamilton

So THAT's what happened......
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Oh Yes, that was my first learning experience with propane smokers. So if you end up getting a gas smoker, remember the "history" of this lest ye be doomed to repeat it.
    I am never a big fan of gas/propane burners cos of the whoosh if the ignition system does not work properly.

Talking about Gas/propane, two houses were leveled this morning because of gas lines
    http://www.wesh.com/news/11610827/detail.html

Hi Mike,

Reflect: I think I fixed your link. Let me know if that's not the right product.
    Sure is, except mine is the stain less steel model which is no longer offered. Other than that dimensions and racks are the same.

So with yours, I'm assuming that you can't do cold smoking?
    Correct, I have gotten it down to 100 degrees but that is it. I have smoked plenty of cheese without issue. However for cold smokes I use an electric plate with shavings under a box.

How do you handle the wood chips? Do you have to put new ones in every few hours?
    I use "chunks" and chips. I layer the bottom with chips, on top of that I place my chunks. This way the smoke generates quickly, then the chunks kick in.

I average 1 /12 hours to 2 hours. However on the charcoal one I use the "minion" method. I place one chimney worth of lit/ashy coals and 1/2 unlit on top. This makes it go for around 4 hours.

I am picking up a used one this weekend for, wait for it......$40 US. It is one year old and retails for $299 (going from memory). You have to love Craig's list.

Take care,

Brian

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread