Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow, Guess What I learned!!
    At about 7:45 this morning, I learned that one person, alone on a boat cannot successfully land, take a picture and release a 120 - 140 lb Tarpon by himself!!

Got my first big tarpon on early this morning and after an hour or so of fighting with him, he tired and I got him along side the boat. Then the reality occurred to me.....

I could not hold him along side the boat, go below to get my camera, take a picture, and release him by myself. What a strong, strong, mean fighting fish these guys and girls are though. My heart about burst out my chest when he first struck and ran out maybe 200 yards of line. It was a real blast trying to pull the boat back and forward to gain line and keep him on, and when I got him along side the boat, I could not believe how beautiful they really are up close and personal.

I finally got him freed and after 10 minutes or so had him revived and he was off to rejoin his buds. What a morning, what an experience! I hope to have this experience real soon again, so we'll see what happens in the next three weeks!

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Oh, so this is your excuse for not having pictures? Uh huh...

Alan, you always crack me up!

Sandee
    Sandra Martin
    sandeebottom at hotmail.com

O man that musta been fun! Im going fishing this saturday I hope. I found a nice lake up here by school and am hoping I can find some bass! Any fish will do though. Just anxious to get my line in the water!

I thought for sure as I started reading the post that you were going to say you fell in. I was going to reply that you need to have a second person along so they can get pictures of you falling in!

But instead, all we get is a fish story?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Congrats Alan - Nice Catch.

I believe you - regardless of what all the others say!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I'm going fishing with Alan tomorrow because he needs someone to take pictures and net Moby.

Holy huge fishy Batman!

Big congrats Alan. I can picture you in wild-man mode like I'm watching a movie.

Take video on the next one and utube it. That would be excellent.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

I'm with Michael, I had this mental image of you trying to hold the fish up and take a picture while it was fighting you and you falling in. THAT I would have liked a picture of.

Sheri

All I could think of when I read this today was Moby Dick. What an adventure - and what a sinking feeling when you knew that this crowd would tease you about the one that didn't even get away and yet you have no proof.....

Sounds like today just reaffirmed why people fish. How big is he now?

Flamingo says:

Oh, so this is your excuse for not having pictures? Uh huh...

Chess Boy Coley then chimes in....

I thought for sure as I started reading the post that you were going to say you fell in. I was going to reply that you need to have a second person along so they can get pictures of you falling in! But instead, all we get is a fish story?

Then my soon to be trout fishing buddy supports me with....

Congrats Alan - Nice Catch.

I believe you - regardless of what all the others say!

And finally, my new fishing mate Donuts adds...

I'm going fishing with Alan tomorrow because he needs someone to take pictures and net Moby.

Connie and Michael, that's just down right mean! One accuses me of story telling because I (gee whiz - somehow can't handle the boat, tarpon and go downstairs to get the camera all at the same time) and the other implies that I am clumsy and must routinely fall off my boat!

It's a bitter pill to swallow when people you "thought" were friendlies suddenly turn on you via this public forum, mock you as a story teller, or assume you don't know how to stay in the boat!! Were I not a decorated Marine, I would probably need professional help to get through this disappointment. On the otherhand, were I not a decorated Marine, I probably would have thought to have someone else go out with me this morning? Duh..

Either way, at least Jonesy and D-Man lend words of support in these uncertain times. When a man's in need, his true friends make themselves known...I could go on for hours and hours on this topic, but that's a book that will be available at AFF Summit 2009, in hardback for $67.74. (add $12.00 for signature)

Alan "Tarpon" Hamilton
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Whew.... Gratz, Alan!!

Those fish can be huge. What did you catch it on: bait, lure, ???

Geno

Talking
    Sounds to me like just another one of the big fish stories that got away.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Actually we're just jealous that you took the time to go fishing and we didn't.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Actually we're just jealous that you took the time to go fishing and we didn't.
    Oh .....................

Geno, bait. Michael, I forgive you for the earlier comment. Burger, sometimes personal pictures are the best.

Danny, thanks, it was a heart pumping, back bending adventure. Sheri, next time I fall out of a boat I'll make sure to get a picture. Not!!

Great catch Alan!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Congrats Alan! That's a good size fish.

If you want a super-duper fishing thrill ... try some blue fin tuna fishing where the fish are 600lbs - 800lbs average (or more). When that reel starts screaming with the line peeling out at 50+ mph .... you'll be absolutely estatic. The largest blue fin I ever caught was 914lbs off of Cape Cod back in 1998 and it fetched $17,000+ after the broker fees to ship it to Japan market.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

ABW Ambassador
    But Alan, have you caught any fish with teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerWiz
    Congrats Alan! That's a good size fish.

If you want a super-duper fishing thrill ... try some blue fin tuna fishing where the fish are 600lbs - 800lbs average (or more). When that reel starts screaming with the line peeling out at 50+ mph .... you'll be absolutely estatic. The largest blue fin I ever caught was 914lbs off of Cape Cod back in 1998 and it fetched $17,000+ after the broker fees to ship it to Japan market.
    I hear ya. I had a boat in Falmoutn and M.V. and before that, back in the late 60's and early 70's (when I was but a teen) I caught em off the So Cal coast, at the Anna Cappa islands and down by S.D. caught lots of Albacore. Caught a bunch of Tuna off the cape and Nantucket, but never did catch one on my fly rod. Got lots of Stripers and Blues on the fly, but no Tuna. Had a friend who made his living selling Tuna to Japanese buyers at the dock. He did super, and yes oh yes, the line literally smoked the reels sometimes.

Internet Cowboy
    So...what? Now I have to catch a 140 lb bass to keep up? Thanks buddy

PS Nice catch. I am sure it was quite a thrill.

Hey Uncle Bass, if you ever catch a 140 lb bass in Lake Fork, Ellen and I will learn to speak "Texanese" and you'll have a new neighbor!

Donuts and John are coming this morning from Orlando, but they won't be here in time for us to use the cast net to pick up baitfish, so probably no shot at Tarpon today, but hopefully we'll hook up with some other fun fish.

Ellie and I leave to return to CO the end of this month, so I plan to be on the water almost every day from now until then. Got a lot to learn about the back bays and fishing down here, but I've learned a lot this season.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread