Outsourced Program Manager paladin's Avatar
    Anyone else having issues with 1and1 hosting?
    It looks like 1and1 may have been hacked - I don't know the full details, but this is what I do know:

• Our site with them has been down for that past 4+ hours (if not more)
    • I called their support twice - I gave up after the first time, the second time they had a recording that said something like "we are experiencing high call volumes, to avoid an excessive wait time please call back later"
    • I filled out their support form a few hours ago, but have not heard back
    • All the HTMl/PHP pages have a 1x1 pixel iframe with a source of nerik DOT info
    • Some pages load with this iFrame, while others just hang

Does anyone know how long this has been going on and if they have an ETA to fix?

Nope, my sites are ok I am on one of their many Windows Servers. For what I pay I like their hosting packages however their support is poor.

My 1and1 site is also working fine, for now.

I have a couple sites there, they're fine as well.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Me! I'm having problems!
    I've been pleased with 1and1 until the last few months. But this morning I'm not happy at all.

My sites are up, though very slow to come up, but the bells and whistles, ie their forms that I integrate into my site, are working only intermittently. Last night, I emailed myself (using a different email address to send than to receive) through the Send this Site to a Friend form. The message never went through. This morning I have an undeliverable message in my box. How much buzz am I losing when this happens? And if my visitors get the same message, what are the odds of them trying again?

Also, I have tried to get a domain name transfered from a different registrar to 1and1 for the last two months. Even though I am listed as owner, etc on whois, they are blocking the transfer. Different excuse each time. And the customer service folks don't have the authority to fix anything--although they read from the script every well.

Does anyone have a host they are happy with?

Connie--finally getting some time to do webwork and using it up by being stuck on hold on the phone to 1and1
    Last edited by Connie; April 11th, 2007 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typos---sorry

I signed up for 1and1 when they first got into the private sector and were offering three years of free hosting. I wasn't that impressed, and in canceling I apparently didn't send the required fax (after using my credentials to log into their system and submit the cancellation order!), and I continued to be billed for several months of unused (and unwanted service). I believe that they've made things more transparent since, but I refuse to go back. I've been pretty happy with HostMonster (which is owned by the same company as BlueHost). If you're looking for shared hosting, they do a good enough job and their support staff has been pretty reliable.

I asked a guy a pretty technical question once, and he thought for a moment, told me he had no clue but would do the research and call me back. And he actually followed through! I was quite impressed.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

The original problem we had has now been resolved. However, I am still not happy with them - their support was not helpful, telling me the error was a PHP error, when in fact the issue was something else entirley. The funny thing is that I was the one that found the issue instead of their support - I felt like they were reading from cue cards instead of trying to help me.

Unfortunatley I am stuck using them for this particular web site as the site owner does not want to move becuase of their cheap pricing (even though my time costs him much more then that).

Connie,
    As for your question on a different host, I have a few others that I am happy with. Which server OS are you looking for, Windows or Linux?

Hi paladin, et. al.,

I had the same problem with iframes that paladin had. Since that's how most of the bells and whistles work, I wonder if that's why mine weren't working. It's so hard to trust that something has been fixed when there's no communication.

Just got a complaint from two friends who use my phpbb forum that they couldn't get into it last night. They haven't tried it yet today.

And, there's the domain transfer problem.....

I use LINUX because I like using MYSQL databases. When I signed up with 1and1, their Windoes hosting couldn't handle MYSQL. I've only got a couple of sites up and I've not done anything heavy-duty with them until lately (which is when all the problems started.) I don't have a lot of traffic--although I would LOVE to have that problem<G>. But I've got big improvements ready to upload if I can only trust 1and1 to be responsive.

Changing hosts is SUCH a hassle. If there was any way around it-- And I'm really worried about 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

I would love to hear of your experiences with other hosts.

<Disclaimer: I'm a host.>

In my previous experience buying hosting from others, I found that small hosts provided much better service than the big guys, both in terms of responsiveness and in terms of the quality of the answers/support.

</disclaimer>
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

I had good luck with HostGator for both shared & dedicated servers. You can also check what DoctorMike offers as he is an active member here.

My experience with 1and1 was not good
    I had the professional preview package, they wanted me to upgrade, I tried calling tech support, waited on hold for about 30 minutes - not bad for some hosts, then was told because it was a preview package, there was on phone support. They expect me to pay after that? No. My current host has 24 hour phone support, liquidweb, and phone calls go through almost immediately.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread