Can someone explain to me how someone's commissions can be stolen by someone else?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Any software that exchanges your affiliate ID on your website for its own.

Current method is to present some form of visual stimulation which prompts the surfer to click on something. Once clicked on, the surfer is then the "customer" of the visual stimulation creator. See threads on Morpheus. Suppose a surfer is at your site. They click on one of your affiliate links to buy (or view more details of) a product. The visual stimulation happens (flashing toolbar, popup dialog etc etc) asking if you want to save money. If yes, click here. They click, and YOU lose the commission to the thief.

This type of thing is easy to program. I am a programmer with almost no web programming experience and I could program an application within an hour to steal most commissions. Luckily most people in affiliate marketing are not thieves and do not want to make money this way. It would be the end of affiliate marketing for moral affiliates.

Let's hope it never happens.

Read BluesX thread about Calling Affiliate Networks & Merchants - It is going to get UGLY.

He knows what he is talking about.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

quote:
    This type of thing is easy to program.

I'm no expert on programming. (The last program I wrote was entered on IBM punch cards written in Fortran.) But, I do beleive it would be just as easy to program scripts to protect ethical affiliates from the parasites.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    It would not be. Wurldmedia pays a hefty price to be downloaded with morpheus. How would you get your application installed?

Also once installed, when is it valid and when isn't it? If I visit site a last week, and site b this week and each time click the same product link but different affiliate links, site B will get the comission. That is fair.

In the parasite world, it redirects at the last minute to grab the sale. It has a given to work with - an affiliate link has been clicked. We are going to take all affiliate links and convert them. To prevent this, you would have to decide which is valid, when to allow when not to.

On top of that, overwriting cookies is normal behavoir for a browser, the browser does not understand the reasoning behind why one is bad and one isn't.

The only side that has a clear view of the entire transaction is the ad networks. They could decide within 10 seconds of setting a cookie, that cookie could not be changed. While it might very occasionally catch someone who browsed with multiple windows etc, for the most part it would be valid and preferable to me - of course they will never do it because they don't care.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Yes
    Ad networks could fix the majority of the prblem by setting a minimum time for a cookie say 1 hour during which the affiliate ID could not be overwritten. That way, last minute diverting tactics would not result in an over-written cookie.

Andy Williams

ABW Ambassador
    1 hour is way too long, but you get the point?

Andy Williams

My wife sometimes spends the money before we get the commission checks. That may be another way it is stolen. lol

Ron
    7 Days A Week Marketing

"Keep your hands out of my cookie jar!"

PerfectG, that could be the perfect solution.

SO, please tell me if i got this right.

The thiefs would have to write a little program that would have to be on installed on the users computer like attached with morpheous or something?? and when they click one of our aff link, the program would replace our aff id with morpheous's id and we get nothing if the sale takes place?

There's no way for the thiefs to steal from us if hte user doesn't install there program then?

thanks.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread