SaS Tracking Concern
    I am in the process of creating an account on the SaS network. As part of that process, SaS outlines how to create the tracking code that should be placed on the "Thank you for your purchase"-type page. This tracking code is in the form of an image request request, calling a ColdFusion script that does its thing on the SaS server. All is well there. However...

In setting this up on my server for testing purposes (verification of which is required by SaS - which I strongly support), I was having problems getting the software to track my test purchases correctly. I shot an email to SaS and provided a screen shot of my source code so that they could troubleshoot the problem effectively. Reply: nothing's wrong with my code.

Then I thought of something. I'm a Firefox guy (can't stand IE, though the tabbed browsing in IE7 is an improvement) and I have the popular extension Adblock installed. Checking the Adblock settings for my thank you page, I found that Adblock was blocking SaS's img call, and thus preventing the tracking script from being executed. As a merchant looking to run a clean and transparent program, this was a bit disturbing.

Obviously in the affiliate business we're only as good as the software people are running. If javascript or cookies are disabled, we are obligated to cut those costs and move on. I am just concerned that something of this nature might be more serious.

Thus my questions: one, is there anything that can be done on the SaS end to see that transactions are processed in spite of software such as Adblock; two, as affiliates (many of whom work with SaS) is this a non-issue, or something of genuine concern; three, as one who is looking to launch an honest and effective program, how can I make sure that my affiliates are getting paid even if the traffic they send my way is running Adblock-type software?
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

I've noticed SaS has problems with Firefox, even if you don't have an adblocker activated. If I'm building a link to a product and I test the link, I get totally locked out of the SaS affiliate interface unless I go in to cookies.txt and blow away anything SaS related. It's a pain, but it's been like that forever...I'm used to it now.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    Chris, personally, it doesn't bother me any more than the fact that multiple more people have cookies blocked altogether. It's just something that has to be lived with, because there's nothing we can (or should) do to over-ride people's preferences.

To be honest, something that would only be used by a relatively small percentage of the surfing population - software savvy, techie types - doesn't concern me at all because I don't target that audience. The VAST majority of my visitors are IE types, and the rest are so negligible that I don't give them a second thought.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Chris, personally, it doesn't bother me any more than the fact that multiple more people have cookies blocked altogether. It's just something that has to be lived with, because there's nothing we can (or should) do to over-ride people's preferences.
    I'm certainly not interested in overriding user's preferences, just curious if it was possible to get SaS off the blacklist, and make sure my affiliates get paid. Mostly the latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    The VAST majority of my visitors are IE types, and the rest are so negligible that I don't give them a second thought.
    Yeah, being part of a small (though growing) minority has it's pluses and minuses. I actually debated moving to Opera just because FF is getting popular...If Opera was extendible, I'd have made the move.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm very interested in hearing what other affiliates would think. Additionally, I'd love to hear if there is anyway around this. Perhaps coding the script via header calls on the server side (where the browser can't keep the connection from happening?).

Does SaS support passing tracking information to their servers from a server script instead of a browser call?
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread