ABW Ambassador
    I've been debating putting this here for a while for fear of it becoming true but the end, reality is that if I have thought of it I'm sure there are others that have as well and it probably already is true.

I saw the thread in the voting both concerning funds lost to parasites and was surprised as to some of the opinions.

First I'll say this: I have a detector and around 25% of my visitors are infected. I'd like for others with detection scripts that are willing to provide some details of their percentage infected. Knowing I have 25% infected I scoff at people saying they think less than 3% of earnings is redirected and can only assume they are just guessing and have no idea how many of their users are really infected.

Second I feel that of the 25% I detect I'm willing to bet there are many other components that are likely parasites we have no idea about.

I sent an email to Andrew Clover recently and asked him if had ever heard of an ad blocker being a parasite - he said he had not heard of this. I have had a big time surge in junk email from ad blockers as morpheus stopped overwriting links and it may be completely coincidental but think about it? How easy would it be for an ad blocker to be watching where you go, issue a hidden popup with an affiliate id, issue a click and then click on it to overwrite a cookie. Very easy and my opinion is that this is already in effect.

Also, if this was happening, we'd never see a popup and we'd never have any inclination at all our cookie was overwritten. I'd say we are very much at risk of losing much more money than the percentage of parasites we actually detect.

Regardless of what decision (if any) comes out of a network meeting there is a HUGE potential for abuse with the current cookie system with it's implementation not only by known parasites, but by merchants themselves (there's an interesting discussion on this here) ) and then we have to deal with other applications that could do a great deal of damage before we ever have a clue such as ad blockers.

I surely hope I'm wrong but I'd be willing to bet we have problems with issues stated "right now".

As a newbee, I expected the networks to do basic verification of sales tracking and cookie duration ethics but I know of instances where it has failed so it has holes in it too.

Who's responsibility is to test new applications such as ad blockers coming out on the market that are likely at work right now and we don't have a clue. Surely, the networks are not going to check for this and while merchants are at risk with this threat too, my only guess is that they won't be to keen on developing, funding, and testing for these issues. Actually, my guess is that affiliates wont be to keen on it either but unless we get some sort of real "standards and compliance committee" in place the amount of money we will all lose will be substantial.

With formal scripts, we would be able to repeat and run the scripts in an automated fashion to detect for cookies being overwritten against all the known parasites, new applications coming along and detect merchants pulling tricks on the cookies as well. I'd feel much better if I knew we were protecting our interests but you don't have to read much around here to figure out we aren't.

Am I the only one who feels this is a threat that needs to be started looking into? It seems apparent that as affiliates we are always going to be on the short side of the stick and it's going to be up to us to put a group and policies in place that protect our interest and the interest of our merchants. We can't continue to sit around and wait on networks to protect our basic rights much less the ones outlined here - unless we want to die a quick death.

I'd like to hear thoughts on this topic from other affiliates and some of our merchants too. Heck if a network wants to reply I'd love to hear their opinion too.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Happypoon you know the networks have to cut the checks to all these "affiliate Application" script thieves and link hijackers. Therefore none of the 4 main networks are unaware of who is doing the commission reshuffle. They know them by name and from their detailed network stats can actually rank them on effectiveness.

If EcomCity took a jump in revenue of $8,000 this month you can bet not only my sight would be looked at by their compliance team but I also get a few phone calls from them. Now this is happening when a new affiliate with no domain traffic to speak of shows up with few impressions but a ton of sales.You can bet the parasites have multiple accounts and sub affiliate alliances trying to hide from AM's and networks their thievery.

Hopefully this meeting will come up with a unified plan and policy to keep the software application,and the devious crooks running them, from draining ALL the commissions from the network. Some of the posters here on both sides let out that 90% of all commissions paid go to these software thieves who generate ZERO impressions and no branding value to the merchants.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If EcomCity took a jump in revenue of $8,000 this month you can bet not only my sight would be looked at by their compliance team but I also get a few phone calls from them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Some of the posters here on both sides let out that 90% of all commissions paid go to these software thieves who generate ZERO impressions and no branding value to the merchants.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then I guess those phone calls aren't very effective. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread