Internet Cowboy
    The Duke University Rape Case
    I just sat down to eat lunch, flipped on CNN and see that it is expected that the DA's office in Raleigh will drop all charges later today in this case.

I want to preface this by saying that I have a loved one who was a rape victim and I think rape is no doubt one of the worst crimes one human can enact on others and should be punishable however murder is punished.

That said, I hope the college kids who have been accused sue this DA for everything he has and get it all. I hope they extract several million dollars from the state of NC as well. This DA has pursued these charges when all evidence pointed to this NOT being a case of rape. He did this for political reasons, it blew up in his face then he recused himself from the case all together. I know it is not really possible, but if it were I would be a fan of seeing this DA get about 20 years in jail for dragging these kids through the mud like he has.

Are these kids pure and perfect? Hell no. What they did was far from good but it was also far from rape and what this DA has done should earn him a spot in hell in my opinion.

I saw a documentary show (maybe Dateline NBC) about this case when it first emerged. At that time the evidence that was presented gave me a 50/50 opinion of guilt or innocense. Since then, this woman has changed her story multiple times and more evidence has come forth that clearly points to the fact that this was not a case of rape.

I think they dropped at least some of the rape charges a few months ago but the kidnapping or whatever related charges still remained and were enough to put these kids in jail. Again, this DA decided to shift gears a few times before he finally gave up all together on this case. In the meantime, the lives of several young men have been destroyed and these are now people who will no doubt live the rest of their lives with a distaste and a distrust of the American justice system, and rightfully so.

If that DA has enough money left to live in a plastic box under a bridge when this is overwith, that is still too much in my opinion.

I have made my thoughts pretty clear on this topic. What are yours?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Everything you said is right on, UncleScooter.

When the rape charges were dismissed, it was when it came out the the DA had "asked" the lab director to lie about the DNA results that showed that NONE of the team members had matched the DNA found on the "victim". But the DA refused to dismiss the rest of the charges.

Then, the North Carolina State Bar filed charges against the DA, which could result in his being disbarred, and the State Attorney General's office took over the rape case, and now they have dismissed the rest of the charges in that case.

All this did was cause the entire lacrosse team to lose their season, and unjustly destroy the lives of the accused and their families. But, DA Nifong got re-elected!

The administration of Duke U acted almost as bad as the DA in, in effect, punishing the entire university, and certainly the entire lacrosse team, as well as the individual accused students.

Unfortunately, any civil action the real victims may bring would serve to keep the case in the spotlight for years to come, and might cause them more distress than for which monetary damages could compensate.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Outsourced Program Manager
    Scooter,

I could not agree more! As a life long lacrosse player and current lacrosse coach (my 7 year old's team starts today!!), it was very difficult to watch this whole thing unfold, and watch the sport that I've loved and played for over 20 years get a black eye from this. Initially, I was shocked and horrified at the allegations, and like most others, assumed that this woman had no reason to lie about her experience. After hearing more about the situation and more details about the evening, it became obvious to me that she had many reasons to lie about what happened (or didn't happen).

It was disgusting to watch Mike NiFong dance around the law and do as he pleased with respect to the DNA. He also regularly engaged the media to profess the guilt of these three kids. I'm glad that this will finally be over for those three young men, however, at what cost? They will forever be branded as rapists, when they just happened to be at the wrong place at the wrong time. Are they knuckleheads? Most likely...but that's a far cry from how they'll be remembered.

I think you're right, Scooter, we'll never see Nifong get put in prison for this (which is absolutely what he deserves), BUT it's going to cost the state of North Carolina a lot of money. I'm sure the lawsuits are being lined up as I type. I also think there is a real chance that Nifong gets disbarred over this, which I'd love to see.
    [B]Mike Tabasso,[/B] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Gen3 Marketing[/COLOR]
    E:mtabasso (at) Gen3Marketing (dot) com | P: 215.646.1869 | AIM: miketabasso
    <a href="http://www.gen3marketing.com" target="_blank">Gen3Marketing.com</a>

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tabasso
    I also think there is a real chance that Nifong gets disbarred over this, which I'd love to see.
    Me too, at the very least.

I was in Memphis last Spring at the graduation ceremony of my girlfriend's daughter from Law School. The AG of Tennessee was the guest speaker and he said something to the effect of that one or some of these graduates can/will be a DA someday and how important that is becuase it is so easy for a DA to misuse their power and wreck the lives of innocent people. This is a clear-cut case of exactly that. This guy said that being a DA is one of the jobs in the entire government that requires the most ethics and responsibility because of the power any given DA wields on behalf of the state.

To know that there are idiots like this guy in that position scares the hell out of me.

It's a razor sharp edge...
    Just because this can be such a dangerous topic, I should preface this with the fact that these are personal opinions, and not necessarily those of AbeBooks.

Anyway, sexual assault cases are some of the scariest things ever. I used to work as a supervisor at a large, busy swimming pool and I can certainly verify that if there's anything that attracts perverts, it's a swimming pool. We had to be constantly vigilant for "bad touching," indecent acts and other weirdness (like the guy we caught collecting used diapers from the garbage cans and taking them back into the private change rooms), and we did end up working with the police on various cases resulting in arrests and permanent bans.

On the other hand though, one night some teenage girls thought it would be funny to get back at a man who had told them to stop horsing around, by telling us that he had touched them inappropriately in the hottub. We took it very seriously, and once we ended up getting the whole story from other people in the hottub and from the girls themselves, I was FURIOUS. They literally could have ruined this man's entire life. He could have lost everything in the blink of an eye, and these girls hadn't even thought out what the impact of their actions would be. Needless to say, we gave the girls a stern talking to... Scary stuff.

Anyway, in a perfect world, this stuff wouldn't happen, but as someone who spent a few years as one of the rare male swim instructors, the imperative to take no chances whatsoever in how your actions are interpreted was ingrained in me early. It's not your intentions that matter; it's how they are perceived.

Cheers,

Patrick

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wait a cotton pickin minute you guys!! What I am hearing here is that you are implying that there are people in the justice system who are corrupt???? WT - (heck!) Get outta town. (that's the end of my sarcasm on this)

I am very happy for the young men and very sad for them and their families. The mere mention of rape can devastate innocent people, their families, friends, neighbors, business and / or church associates. It is unfortunate, but when something like this hits the media, the sensationalism that sells news shows no regard for the destruction that is brought upon the victims of their sensationalism. Of course the media wins both ways. If the boys are guilty, what a huge story to sell news. If the DA is a low life, what a great story to sell the news.

This DA perjured himself, tampered with the investigation and attempted to falsify evidence all for personal gain. This is just soooo much more than waaaayyy beyond pitiful.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I kind of had an up front seat for this as the guy who ran against him in the last election, Steve Monks (ran as a write-in and got 11%) is an old friend and close confidant from my days in NC politics.

Long story short is the people there should have seen this coming from a mile away. Nifong was as sleazy and dirty as you can get.

I do not think this case had a thing to do with race, rape, women, men, rich, or poor.

It had everything to do with one guy's quest for attention and power. Thankfully, he was exposed in a big way and Roy Cooper (the AG in NC) finally grew a set of C.O. Jones and stood up for what was right.

</rant>
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

ABW Ambassador
    D.A. apologizes to Duke lacrosse players

http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/04/12/la....ap/index.html

Nifong Resigns
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

A little measure of justice
    Nifong Disbarred

The North Carolina State Bar unanimously found against Nifong in 17 of 19 contested issues, including charges that his conduct was ``prejudicial to the administration of justice'' and that he lied to the court about evidence.

Nifong's attorney stated he would accept disbarment as fair and wouldn't appeal.

The system worked and justice was swift (except for the participants), but that one was expensive.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Expensive is right....we'll see just how expensive when everything is said and done on the civil side. Those three young men will be branded rapists for the rest of their lives. It will be interesting what value the jury puts on that. Mike Pressler (the Duke coach that was fired mid-year) has already reached a settlement with the University. Next on the hook is the city...
    [B]Mike Tabasso,[/B] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Gen3 Marketing[/COLOR]
    E:mtabasso (at) Gen3Marketing (dot) com | P: 215.646.1869 | AIM: miketabasso
    <a href="http://www.gen3marketing.com" target="_blank">Gen3Marketing.com</a>

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread