Coupon sites
    Hello,

I am curious about coupon sites. I have looked over a few. I have some questions.

In running a site do you just get on with one affiliate program or do you use multiple programs?

How do AMs view you if the latter?

Does it generate enough revenue for the AMs to take you seriously (I do NOT mean any offense)?

Are coupons fed to you via feeds or are you building the data yourself?

Sorry for the questions, I have researched.

Take care,

Brian

ABW Ambassador
    We use multiple affiliate programs. And AMs expect it. It's the only way to get a good selection of merchants, as well as the merchants that people want to shop with.

Some sites generate a LOT of revenue. Most don't. I'm somewhere in the middle. Successful, but not overly so.

No offsense taken.

Some coupons are fed via feeds. Most are sent via e-mail or through the merchant's affiliate interface.

Michael

You have to use multiple networks to get a good mix of merchants to work with.
    AM's understand that we have to use multiple ones to cover the interests of our site.

As for coupon delivery, most come via email and everyone I know inputs them by hand for best results. Data has to be verified and standardized and there's really no easy way that I know of.
    Mike Allen | <a href="https://twitter.com/mta1">@mta1</a>
    <a href="http://www.businesswright.com">Businesswright Consulting</a> | <a href="http://www.shopping-bargains.com">Shopping-Bargains</a>

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I agree with everyone here - as an AM I know when we look at affiliates to approve we certainly expect and like to see many affiliate programs being promoted on that site. When done well, it shows us that there is a lot of effort being put into the site, and that there is enough "content" to attract first time and repeat visitors. It does get complicated for us when we see direct competitors on a coupon site because the conversion seems to be less when we're linked on the same page as these guys. But thats what makes us work harder on our offers, and that's what raises the bar in this industry.

In terms of how to get the coupons, its true that there are affiliates who have automatic feeds. We also distribute them in monthly newsletters, right here on ABW in our forum (usually the first place they go), in email blasts as well as personal emails, and of course you can always shoot your AMs an email saying "whats your latest coupon deals" if you want to stay proactive and on top of things.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Couponers are my biggest affiliates in most programs. A lot of Affiliate Managers and merchants do not understand the value of couponers. Most shoppers do!!

A word of advice, protect your coupon codes from site scrapers and shoppers search for codes when already in the cart. Make sure a shopper has to click through to get the cart code so a cookie is set and you get paid.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Aren't the codes the same for all affiliates so how do you protect again things like scrapers?

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Not all codes are the same. Some merchants prefer to offer specific codes to affiliates who have coupon sites. In any case, I would follow Chuck's advice to ensure you get the credit whenever applicable.

As far as ARC is concerned, we find that Affiliates come in all shapes and sizes. Coupon Sites are not only valuable but important to our programs.
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Thank you all for the details and quick responses. It is appreciated.

Take care,

Brian

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    The best safeguard is an exclusive code but those are rare. If you list a code make sure you have it on a secure page or pop-up.

I decided to choose one merchant that pays and conveys.

Dabbling with too many options might end you up confused.

Remaining focused is something not to be taken for granted.
    Coupon business is a remarkable concept, along with the
    right network you can quickly prosper.
    Last edited by CashBack; June 7th, 2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spell

I was going to say, it may be best to start with a few merchants on your site, and figure the best marketing for them, then keep adding more stores.
    But it's a very manual process, and removing expired coupons is important, and many stores don't allow any coupons they don't directly give you, so posting those from other places around the web/consumer emails will get you in trouble.

removing expired coupons is important
    That's a fine point here. That's why you need to pick that one network that updates offers on auto pilot so you can focus on marketing. Time is precious. Make it work for you, not against you.

ABW Ambassador
    Lazy affiliates are never going to be competitive ones. It would be great if we all could have auto updating coupon sites and there are places that where you can get a little of that. But they are a lot of work and the successful ones do the work.

They've had something like that for years, cobrand coupon sites. Where you don't have to do any work as far as updating. I would bet most make a few bucks, if that.

Cashback, if you plan on dropping links, don't. Buy an ad. Seems you're leading up to that based on your other posts

Worse Trusty, he's sending them to his site in the profile (a MLM thing)
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Worse Trusty, he's sending them to his site in the profile (a MLM thing)
    It's not even his site, it's just a link to another site where he's the referral:

"You are referred by: George Papazoglou "

Hello,

Yes, it's not my site.

Point is that you won't lose affiliate commissions due to parasites which are everywhere these days. If you want to stay abreast in affiliate marketing this network is the way to go. Plus I am keen to sharing my knowledge to those who are interested.

Browser hijacks, cookie stuffing etc are such a commonality these days and the average affiliate is the one hurt in the end.

Thank you/

If you're here just to push your MLM garbage, you're no longer here. Zap. Bye.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by CashBack
    Hello,

Yes, it's not my site.

Point is that you won't lose affiliate commissions due to parasites which are everywhere these days. If you want to stay abreast in affiliate marketing this network is the way to go. Plus I am keen to sharing my knowledge to those who are interested.

Browser hijacks, cookie stuffing etc are such a commonality these days and the average affiliate is the one hurt in the end.

Thank you/
    Wasting your time.

Not anymore. He's gone.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CashBack
    Browser hijacks, cookie stuffing etc are such a commonality these days
    Thank you/
    Just because it's common doesn't make it ok.

We use have mostly CJ and Linkshare merchants on our dealking site. We also have a few merchants from 3-4 other affiliate networks.

We offer cash back and need the reporting that CJ and Linkshare offer.

I use multiple coupon merchants and it seems to work out fine.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread