ABW Ambassador
    WebmasterWorld Feels Threatened by ABW!
    I just replied to a post on WebmasterWorld saying that the OP asked the same question on ABestWeb and what the consistent responses were. I did not put any links in my response because of WMW arcane rules.

ABestWeb was replaced with "#*$!"

Yep I ask them about that quiet some time ago and they said it had been an ongoing practice. I don't think it's only ABW that gets the treatment.

Probably goes back to the days when Brett (WMW) and Jim (SEF) were fighting over member poaching. I was a Mod at SEF back then, and even from that perspective it always seemed like a silly fight...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Internet Cowboy
    Should we schedule a rumble?

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    It's been that way for almost 2 years now, gee wonder why their membership has dropped drastically over the last year and ABW just grows?

ABW Ambassador
    replaced with "#*$!"
    Plenty of words/sites/URLs are on the filter, and it isn't at all because of feeling "threatened."

It's been that way for almost 2 years now,
    No, it's been longer than that. I can remember that filtering happening as far back as 2002. It might be longer, but I distinctly remember one specific "viral marketing" campaign going on for a certain site and enough is enough for any site to contend with. Once a it's done repetitively, or a lot of name-dropping and/or "whispering " reaches annoying proportions, it's time to automate. It's just a whole lot easier to filter than have mods have to do a lot of unnecessary busy-work. Not all are the same, but regardless - there has to be something to trigger filtering.

wonder why their membership has dropped drastically
    Huh? Say what? How do you know it's dropped?

Where do your figures come from, when no one else ever knows? How about total accrued pageviews, average number of daily pageviews, and avg active threads - plus a few others? Are you privy to that information also?

That's one metric that means absolutely nothing to Brett, the total number of people who sign up. He happens to prune the database every few months to eliminate the inactive.

What's to be threatened about? Different forums. serving a completely different audience, serving a different purpose and having a different focus. Therefore, no threat anyplace.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, WMW is the only forum I'm aware of that removes registered users who haven't posted in a certain amount of time. It happened to me (twice actually) and I was pretty shocked.

I agree that ABW and WMW have different focuses. That's what makes the filtering so absolutely ridiculous (like quite a few other WMW rules). Since you are a senior member at WMW, Marcia, maybe you could suggest to Brett that he remove ABestWeb from the filter.

ABW Ambassador
    They've been like that for awhile, over modded to death. It's one of the reasons the affiliate section is pretty dead, only about 3-4 new threads a day. There was one time somebody asked a question and I was trying to help with an answer and had 3 different words *$#*#* out. One of them was wordtracker. They backed off of that one. It's great if you want up to the minute reports on Google datacenters.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Justdoit
    It's been that way for almost 2 years now, gee wonder why their membership has dropped drastically over the last year and ABW just grows?
    too many restrictions and sensorship.

ABW Ambassador
    I've always felt that there is an anti-affiliate marketing tinge to the postings over there. Don't spend a great deal of time there, because I don't worry about google all that much anymore.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    In all honesty, as a newbie to AM and html, seo, etc..... I have learned a great deal more here at ABW by searching threads than I have over there. JMHO
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

A decent percentage of the %$^# posters and members are the same lot that think everything in Web 2.0 should be free, and that internet serves no higher purpose than improving society, without cost.

Which is a shame, because there are MANY highly talented, highly intelligent people that post there. They just are way too ideological...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I totally respect Brett and Marcia and a lot of the other old timers over there, and have enjoyed my participation at WMW over the years, but I rarely post anymore.

Last couple times I've tried haven't gone at all well. On one I ended up in a disagreement with some know-it-all 16 year old coder type that ended up getting really heavily edited, and the other, my thread never even made it to the boards.

Maybe the thread was inflammatory, but it was also potentially valuable information. ABW had no problem with a similar thread I posted here - an info-rant about how Google AdWords started arbitrarily adding variables to landing URLs as part of their analytics product without telling webmasters, and essentially broke the landing pages for all of my PPC traffic. I was buying traffic to 500 errors...

Google eventually made it right, but I don't know if they ever fixed it. My rant could've saved others some money, that they'd never even know they were wasting without clicking their own ads. Who here clicks their own ads?

Anyway, long story short, I guess what I'm saying is that participation at WMW can be a bit of a PITA sometimes and that has pushed me personally more towards lurking now and then than actually participating...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I appreciate both Brett and WMW and yes we are different and thusly symbiotic. The filter doesn't bother me as they do other sites as well. FWIW, we don't filter them.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I don't believe there is any kind of a feud going on, or any feelings of being threatened by the competition, but that really is a pretty "lofty" bunch over there. I, too, have been removed (cleaned?) a couple of times over the years.

Currently I have a paid subscription - so I can read a lot of the member-restricted areas - and find a lot of the information to be worthwhile. However, I almost never post. The few answers I had provided to inquiry posts seem to have been ignored because I am [obviously] not one of the "old guard" that inhabits WMW.

I am not a very active poster here either, but at least at ABW I always feel welcomed.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with Haiko.
    Too bad drastic left.

>>"old guard"
    Intersting use of words.
    That is the term used by most of the old Moderators who have LEFT WmW over the years.

They meet at least once a years and remember the olden days.

Next meeting is in June @ http://searchmarketingexpo.com

Mr. Mackin

Heh, all the boards are kinda sensitive about their users and the cross-wanderings.

I think it would be to everyone's benefit if we all mingled, but on the flipside a little competition is good!

Eugh, IMO webmasterworld is an overmoderated, censored site that looks like it hasn't changed since 1995.

Edit: Although as mentioned above, it is good for Google datacentre updates and attracts official Google spokespeople which is nice.
    [URL=http://www.freshgadgets.co.uk]Fresh gadgets[/URL]

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread