ABW Ambassador
    ShoeMall.com WARNING!!! 7 DAYS
    Yes another one of those make us a sale or your out PAL letters, this time from Andrea Marko @ ShoeMall.com

as below, I guess I have about 7 days left....

~Greetings~

We had a great Q1 and now, after a little break, we're ready to rev up affiliate sales with new promotions. But I am concerned about your site because you haven't had any sales over the last 6 months.
    I will be communicating frequently with our CJ affiliates but I don't want to bother you if you're not interested in ShoeMall's product line. Unfortunately, I will be forced to expire you from our affiliate program if I do not see an acceptable amount of sales from your site or hear from you via e-mail by April 20, 2007. If there has been a mistake, please let me know immediately.

I do want to thank you for your initial interest in ShoeMall's affiliate program and I look forward to working closely with you, if you so desire, in the future.

I look forward to hearing from you!
    I willl also send them a link to this thread so they can continue...

You can also post your opinion on the forum about this: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...043#post685043

I take a 7 day warning very unacceptable and not the way to run a successful affiliate program by threatening us like this.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I always want to ask the merchant how many of my clicks made it to them and they failed to convert my visitor to the status of a purchaser. Not all failures to make sales is the affiliates "fault".
    I also love (not) that you have a whole week to make a sale!

ABW Ambassador
    A few months ago I changed domain names of one of my busiest sites so my traffic & sales slumped as there were some complications on the change-over & google never indexed any of my new domains pages, it is just starting to pick them up now again. Merchants AM's don't care about these issues we have and don't realize sometimes we are working 18 hours a day ++ to get it all together and then they send you annoying emails like this just to rub salt in the wombs...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

I just told her that coincidentally, I was busy eliminating my non-productive shoe merchants at this time and her note made my decision pretty easy. Do whatcha gotta do, girl - if it's too overwhelming to have this many salespeople, then by all means, trim it down to what you can handle. Good luck with your future AM career.

Yes another one of those make us a sale or your out PAL letters,

....... I guess I have about 7 days left....
    I figured out a solution for those "make us a sale or your out" letters!

Just run to your near SE, and spend a few hundred on PPC for that merchant the same day you get that email, and that way they might not drop you this month.

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore61103
    I just told her that coincidentally, I was busy eliminating my non-productive shoe merchants at this time and her note made my decision pretty easy. Do whatcha gotta do, girl - if it's too overwhelming to have this many salespeople, then by all means, trim it down to what you can handle. Good luck with your future AM career.

I agree with jmoore................

But I usually get po'd and tell them that there is no better time than NOW. I will remove all links immediately.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

I agree with jmoore................
    Thank you, Witzer! I've been feeling very invisible lately.

In fact, the aforementioned AM just sent me a note and said - wait, don't pull your links. I would love to work with you further. Tell me your CJ PID. Hmmm. Wouldn't you know that BEFORE you threatened?

I usually just do what you said - pull 'em now. I just decided to entertain myself a little. My other alternatives seem to be work, snow, and taxes.
    Last edited by jmoore61103; April 12th, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typu

ABW Ambassador
    That is a prettiest smile in the world to throw out a bloody threat.
    I'm scared

and i thought that old school management mentality was ...well old school

at least they mentioned they wanted to hear from you...lmao when will they learn honey gets more results than a stick

ABW Ambassador
    Hi all,

Wow, maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded to me like you could either send some sales (so they would know you were still interested), or you could just email them and let them know that way of your interest.... didn't sound like a big deal here.

Ken

Wow, maybe I read it wrong, but it sounded to me like you could either send some sales (so they would know you were still interested), or you could just email them and let them know that way of your interest.... didn't sound like a big deal here.
    You're right - that's what it said. The point was that these AMs get that corporate management mentality going and start trying to find somebody to manage. There's a definate learning curve before they "get it" that most of us have decided against being "managed" again anytime soon. It looked like a form letter to me and when I responded and then she wanted to know my ID, it just proved my point. Everything she needed was in the sig line of my response.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ADesertRose
    I always want to ask the merchant how many of my clicks made it to them and they failed to convert my visitor to the status of a purchaser. Not all failures to make sales is the affiliates "fault".
    You're 110% correct.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Maybe I am being slow but what is the problem if an affiliate is not making sales at a certain time? ie, it is not costing the merchant anything for us just to be signed up to their program is it? I have been signed up to some merchants for years and have not made any sales from some of them. So why threaten to terminate the program if we don't produce sales? I objected to the email too - plenty of other shoe merchants out there that convert well.

Click ..... There!! I beat them to the punch!! Bye Bye SM..
    The best things in life are not things at all...

ABW Ambassador
    Aren't these guys notorious for sleeping with the enemy anyways i.e. getting into bed with parasites?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stork
    Maybe I am being slow but what is the problem if an affiliate is not making sales at a certain time? ie, it is not costing the merchant anything for us just to be signed up to their program is it? I have been signed up to some merchants for years and have not made any sales from some of them. So why threaten to terminate the program if we don't produce sales? I objected to the email too - plenty of other shoe merchants out there that convert well.
    It's pretty much a fear tactic to try and get more affiliates to push sales. Not exactly the best way to get more sales, though.

ABW Ambassador
    ShoeMall Apologies

I would like to send my apologies out to anyone that felt offended by my last e-mail, I also would like to take a moment to clear up any misconceptions there may have been. My first email came across much differently that it was intended and I have learned during the last couple days how it was received in the affiliate community.

In an effort to build our ShoeMall program, I wanted to open up our line of communication. I inherited a program with thousands of affiliates and it is hard to say who really wants to be in our program and who doesn't and which affiliates just no longer have a website. I believe that communication and working together will help build this program and I want to work with anyone who has a desire to help me build the program. I don't want to expire affiliates that want to be in our program - I just wanted to know that there was a desire . The affiliates that I wish to expire are the ones that probably won't read this - because they no longer exist.

I want to thank the affiliates that already contacted me - that was the whole point of this - to keep in contact and help each other. It was not meant to come across as an ultimatum to those who want to work with us even though it came out that way to many of you.

Again - I want to thank you for your initial interest in ShoeMall's affiliate program and I look forward to working closely with you in the future.

Please contact me and let me know how we can make this program better together!
    Got this email today.
    Wow, the power of AbestWeb!

ABW Ambassador
    "The affiliates that I wish to expire are the ones that probably won't read this - because they no longer exist."

Wrong again affiliate manager.

Where do these companies find these clueless affiliate managers? Is the pay that bad?

Too easy......

Not a call I think she wants to take.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Attention Affiliate Managers!

Educate your client! EPC doesn't mean squat! It's the bottom line that you need to be concerned with. Don't burn your bridges by firing affiliates, period. Publishers tend to take their time when it comes to promoting individual entities. Today's zero click affiliate may be tomorow's super affiliate. So don't put your eggs all in the "Gotta have a high EPC basket" and, instead, just recruit affiliates and let them mature as they will.

I signed up as an Aweber affiliate right away when I first started this business 9 years ago. I don't have a single link to them but I still get their affiliate newsletter. There have been a couple of times that I followed through with something that was in one of their newsletters. Plus, I might end up doing a full-fledged campaign for them in the near future. They never once intimated that I was in danger of losing my affiliate staus even though I haven't actively promoted them for 9 years.

This is the type of attitude that AM's need to have. Yes, keep prompting your affiliates to produce and give them plenty of incentives to do so. NO, don't fire them simply for non-performance so that you can boost your EPC. Keep as many affiliates as you can. In most cases it won't add any costs to your bottom line, other than possibly lowering your EPC. On the other hand, If you do have an affiliate that is sending a lot of clicks and no sales then maybe you should first examine the control that you may have over converting traffic to sales.

I'm glad I don't have to walk in her (AM) shoes but if I did, I'd hunt for "How to Communicate Effectively Online" articles. At least she apologized.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread