How Long are Puppies, Puppies?
    I got a Vizsla puppy, Ruby, a few weeks ago and wow, has my lifestyle changed - I knew it would be work, but not this much...

So my pressing question...

How long are puppies, puppies? When do they become a bit more relaxed and stop chewing everything (including a Kenneth Cole shoe -sniff)?

I have to clean out her ears, she hates it and stares at me like I'm murdering her. I am traumatized and she runs off happily afterwards. lol.

Anyone have puppy advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Welshie
    So my pressing question...

How long are puppies, puppies? When do they become a bit more relaxed and stop chewing everything...
    Whew..... It's been a while, but it seems that my Bull Terrier chewed everything in his sight for his whole first year...

Geno

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yes, I have puppy advice. The good news about dogs is they have a pretty poor short-term memory, although they will tend to associate a negative experience with a person or place, which is why we let a groomer clean our dogs' ears (and bathe them, trim nails, etc).

If puppy is misbehaving you can scare her (without harming her) away from whatever the object of mischief is. We used two methods that worked beautifully with our puppy. When he did something wrong we banged aluminum pie plates together while shouting, "NO!" For some reason dogs are very alarmed by this noise. Once they associate the pie plates with the noise you can put pie plates around the house in places where they have accidents or get up on furniture, etc. Another thing dogs hate is the sound of change banging around in a coffee can. Keep that with you at all times!

Our puppy didn't settle down until he was eight months old. (He was neutered at six months old.) He's still a puppy at nearly three years old but he's a well behaved puppy, and that's delightful! Of course it varies by breed and I have no idea whether Vizslas are slow to mature or not. Three years is pretty much the max for what I call "puppy brains."
    Vizslas are beautiful dogs! I hope you and your puppy have many happy, peaceful years together!

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Well, I still consider my Sydney to be a puppy even though she is almost 7 years old ;-) From what I can remember, things grew a lot calmer when she turned two, but even now she has fits of 'puppiness'. I think it also depends on the breed (if you have a mixed-breed, whatever is the dominant type).

Of all the things that did drive me crazy was the chewing and the digging in the garden. I still have remnants of books that have been torn up and a wooden rocking chair (the ends are all gnawed away)!
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Yesterday afternoon, Maggi (15 mos old) chewed the plug off of a cord in the livingroom. She's gotten much better over the last 6 months and we were pretty sure we had things "baby-proofed", but we'll obviously have to be on guard for awhile yet.

She's sort of like that one golden child in every family - she's so good for so long that you let down your guard a little and ZOOM - there she is playing hooligan.

I agree with Geno, it was about a year as far as I remember. After that they calm down. They're opinion on ear cleaning will stay forever though. They'll have that look, as if they've been thrown to hell and you're the devil himself. Pretty much the same goes for washing them. At least with the dogs I've encountered

Renet

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Rhea has an excellent point about noise scaring puppies. When your puppy is being ornery or you have just distracted it from being bad, occupy it with something it is allowed to do such as a game of tug o war with an acceptable toy.

For quick fixes on the ears, try baby wipes. It's super quick and easy and it's a gentle way to desensitize you puppy to having it's ears touched and probed (trust me, your veterinarian and staff will thank you greatly for that!)
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; April 12th, 2007 at 10:20 AM. Reason: grammar
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

My puppies are waaaay still puppies but according to the breader it is very normal for, at least great danes, to be puppies up to 2-3 years. It's rough though. Our oldest is 16 months, 140 lbs and thinks he is lil bitty puppy/lap dog. You should see him try to curl up in Deek's lap!!! ... lol ... what a sight.

Our other who is about a year old, just ate part of one of Derrick's shirts this morning. Teething stage I suppose.
    KK

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Oh, two other things I forgot.

Hubby likes to say, "A tired dog is a happy dog." In other words, make sure your puppy gets lots and lots of exercise and play time. Some breeds need a lot of mental stimulation so you might want to get some toys she can play with by herself. A Kong Toy filled with cheese spread can keep a dog busy for a long time. Don't buy toys that look like things you wouldn't want her to chew on.

Bitter Apple spray. Spritz it on anything the puppy has chewed on or areas where the puppy has chewed things in the past.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    We always consider a dog a puppy until it's one year of age, some large breeds can be 18 months
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Susan_ShareResults
    I think it also depends on the breed !
    Yep I agree, our Jack Russell is still a puppy and he just turned 5 and it don't help the fact any that we let him have his way

To Bob's point, Ernie (our bouvier) started to de-puppy at about 18 months. Vislas are a high energy breed, so the "tired dog" sentiment is an appropriate one. Careful on the exercise though - from what I understand you can damage a dog's growth plates from too much running when they're little.

Are you crate training?
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Siberian Huskies "calm down" between 18 months and 2 years. My two are 9 and 8 and they still quite often play with each other the same way they did when the were young. Fortunately they are smart dogs and quick learners. They never did seem to go throught a chewing phase.

Wow, sounds like it's going to be busy, busy - yikes. I'm taking her to puppy school in a couple of weeks. More for me than the Rubinator.

On my application form it said, "Why do you want to attend puppy school?" to which I responded, "I'm traumatized."

Tried the pie plate - works a treat!

Thanks everyone soooooo much for the advice. One more question...when is flea season and when should I start the 'frontline' treatment?

I love her, but...
    Ceri

As SOON as it starts getting a little warm, we start seeing fleas. Our vet recommends year round treatments because our dogs are around other dogs a lot.
    KK

My Cairn terrier was a puppy for about a year, she never ripped or tore anything up, but her preferred method of teething was to chew bits of me, mainly fingers and toes.

I put up with it as youngest son was just 5 at the time and better she chewed me than him. My wife's - "look how Shaolin is enjoying playing with daddy" got some dirty looks though!

Internet Cowboy
    It took my Golden Retriever two years to grow up and it appears that my Standard Poodle will take that long. The other day she completely ate a sock. Of course she conveniently returned it to us a few minutes later. She is mischevous and waits until you get on the phone or involved in something else before pulling her antics.
    This dog is no dount smarter than I am and is a wonderful dog with the exception of her sneaky ways once in a while.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Looks like no coincidence that my favorite dog was the one I found when she was already an adult!

Animal Lover
    Guess the general rule of thumb is 1 year but as some have suggested here there are some breeds who will not attain that calm dignity till 2-3 years and still other individuals persist to stay forever goofy and young till well into their middle age years (kinda like humans ). The constant chewing generally will stop within a year - after they finish teething. Flea prevention can be halted if you are in the cooler states where they go into dormancy in winter but some vets will suggest that you continue right through the year if only because some owners will forget to start it again as the weather warms. The other thing to consider is heartworm prevention - again dependent on where you are and if mosquitoes are a problem in your state.

cheers
    Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

A few years depending on the breed. I adopted 2 from a rescue this time that were both about a year old. Didn't have time for all that puppy stuff. Still had a heck of a time keeping up with my shoes that I had to keep stashing in high places.

Teaching them to sleep in a crate at night when you can't watch them is a good idea.

Congrats again on the new puppy!! Since puppies grow so fast, I wouldn't buy anymore than 1 dose of topical flea treatment at a time (most vets will sell frontline plus in single doses, if you can't find one that will, give me a shout, Dr. Steph and I will hook you up ;^) when you're ready for another dose you can take your puppy to the office with you for an accurate weight.
    Same on heartworm pills, I would only buy 1 month at a time until your furbaby's weight has pretty much stabilized.
    Fleas are attracted to vibration and carbon dioxide which makes them a pain if they get in your house. A person exhaling, walking across carpet is enough to hatch eggs. An adult female flea must have a blood meal within 24 hours of hatching or she'll die. But it can be human blood as well so definately want to stop the cycle before it starts.
    Not to mention the fact that fleas are a common carrier of tapeworm...ewwwwwww
    Best of luck and post some pics of her, I bet she's darling :^)

Thanks so much for all the great info!

I almost started Puppy School last night...showed-up at 7.30pm all excited. Everyone was already there. Apparently, the class started at 6.30pm

So..Let's hope Ruby is smarter than me!

rgrsgrl - what are your thoughts on leaving spaying till they are 6-months? My vet says she will only do it at 6-months. At the Dog Park, dogs are trying to ...well y'know (blush) and I'm a bit worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Welshie
    Thanks so much for all the great info!

rgrsgrl - what are your thoughts on leaving spaying till they are 6-months? My vet says she will only do it at 6-months. At the Dog Park, dogs are trying to ...well y'know (blush) and I'm a bit worried.
    You're welcome LOL, sorry you missed class. If it makes you feel better, my Italian Greyhound peed all over the floor everytime another dog came near her.

Waiting till 6 months to spay is very common and every clinic I'm affiliated with operates under that guideline. At 6 months the pet is at a healthy weight for safer anesthesia and post operative pain management. Also, if Ruby has any retained baby teeth or any troublesome dew claws they can be removed while she's already under.

As far as the other dogs at the dog park. It's normal, Ruby is young and other dogs are trying to establish their dominance over her. You can interupt this behavior and then engage the dogs in a more "acceptable" form of play such as fetch

How big is she now? I bet she's cute as a button!

Take Care
    Amy
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; April 26th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: grammar

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread