Ok - It may be just me - but whenever I sign up with a new merchant I always seem to get good sales for the first week or two, and then conversion rates and sales plummet to zero.

I'm convinced that they deliberately show new affiliates some sales when they first join - then once they have invested time in creating some pages they effectively dump them by not reporting sales any more - they know that a good percentage of people will just leave the links in place.

So what do you do?

I have just joined magazine city and was getting a sales:click ratio of about 1:12 for the first 10 days - but about a week ago sales just stopped dead.

I am unsure if this may be connected to the recent cj update, so I am not getting too fired up yet - I am waiting until google finds my latest pages - once that happens I should be sending them at least 100 highly targeted visitors a day - if no sales come from that traffic it will be time to take some action.

ABW Ambassador
    Lets see, you suspect that a merchant gave you some fake sales to encourage you to add more links.

Since CJ consolidates payments, what I would do is deposit the money they gave me in the bank and spend it at a later time. It's super frustrating when LS and BeFree merchants do this...since you end up with a little tiny scraps of commission sitting in accounts I'll never collect on.

Oh, I learned not to judge a program in its first week of activity. If someone tossed my sites a bone, well, I've trained my sites to jump up and catch it, then look at the merchant with big dark puppy eyes wanting another.

Protophoto - Short Stories

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I usually wait till Google has picked up the pages before I make any determinations, and I don't make any more pages/add links/etc. based on initial sales. Too many flukes (or other stuff) can occur in the beginning days for me to type one keystroke based on those first figures.

And like yintercept I'll gladly accept commissions from pages that haven't really been up long enough to be expected to have sold sheet! But I keep a much closer eye on those merchants since they've shown that everything's not quite on the up and up.

Once the pages have full listings then I make the determination. It's pretty rare that a merchant will actually keep on selling *nothing* after that...if they do persist in selling nothing then Buh Bye, but it's been a long time since I've seen it stay at nothing once some decent listings were attained.

Of course, maybe I've just got more practice staying away from the fishier merchants.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by giveawayrooms:
    Ok - It may be just me - but whenever I sign up with a new merchant I always seem to get good sales for the first week or two, and then conversion rates and sales plummet to zero.

I'm convinced that they deliberately show new affiliates some sales when they first join - then once they have invested time in creating some pages they effectively dump them by not reporting sales any more - they know that a good percentage of people will just leave the links in place.

So what do you do?

I have just joined magazine city and was getting a sales:click ratio of about 1:12 for the first 10 days - but about a week ago sales just stopped dead.

I am unsure if this may be connected to the recent cj update, so I am not getting too fired up yet - I am waiting until google finds my latest pages - once that happens I should be sending them at least 100 highly targeted visitors a day - if no sales come from that traffic it will be time to take some action.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL....
    Welcome to the reality of Network Business. :-)

Don't feel bad and left out, because you're not alone in this...

if you read around this board you will learn alot of this tactics and you will have your own opinion.

But don't give up not all are bad.

you still find few good seed around! :-)

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

Thanks everyone for the input.

Perhaps I should clarify - I don't believe that they are reporting non existant sales at first. - based on the number of click throughs I sent them in the first 10 days, I would expect around 6 sales to result.

What I am suggesting is that for the first week or so, the merchant acts honestly and reports and pays you for the sales you make - but then later on starts to cheat you, once you are 'hooked'.

I should also clarify that when I say 'the first 10 days' - this is the first 10 days following the time when my magazine pages appeared in google - the pages were actually on my site for about 3 weeks with virtually zero activity until google found them - so I know that the 6 sales I made were genuine sales resulting from high quality SE referrals.

I am not naive - I know that merchants are going to cheat us at times - I am even prepared to accept it as long as I still get a decent income.

The point is that magazine merchants will admit that their top affiliates can convert at up to 1 sale per 10 clicks - I am not a top merchant in terms of volume, but the traffic I send them is the highest quality - from SE searches on the exact magazine title - so I know I should be getting conversion rates in this ball park.

For my first 10 days since appearing in google, I was getting this conversion rate - but what do I do if it now drops to about 1 sale per 100 click throughs?

At that rate, I KNOW they are robbing me, so I will email them and politely explain my concerns - making sure they realise that if my conversion rate doesn't improve I will head for another merchant!

Wow, as a merchant I'm astounded to hear things like this. Just so you know my point of view...who has the time or inclination to do something like this. It's hard enough to be an Internet retailer, but really, to spend time trying to spoof an affiliate is nuts.

I think on some of these items it's possible that some folks are seeing monsters in the closet.

Yes targetted traffic should convert better, but take a look at the merchant, check out their cart, make sure there are no security or privacy issues. Maybe this merchant just doesn't convert well.

All merchants that I know spend all of their energy trying to make things work better and make their site convert better and help their affiliates sell more. There's just not time of enough for chicanery, even if someone were so inclined.

Best of luck figuring it out.

The Merchant only wins if the Afilliate wins.

John - you sound like the kind of merchant I am looking for - what program do you run?

Sadly, I don't share your faith in human nature - i'm not sure why you think it wouldn't be worthwhile for merchants to steal from us - if I was earning $2000 a month in commission and a merchant decided to only disclose half my sales, they are making a nice $1000 per month straight onto their bottom line.

If they had 100 affiliates working at this level, $100,000 a month sounds like all the incentive in the world to me

I agree about investigating other possible causes before you assume blatent theft - but most genuine problems like this are going to affect sales from day 1 - they don't explain how things work great for a week or two and then sales collapse.

I have to say that so far EVERY merchant I have signed up with has displayed this problem - except Amazon - they are the only merchant I trust 100% not to steal from me.

Yes I know they legally 'steal' from us with short cookies and the ridiculous 15% commission fallacy - but I am talking about blatent theft - I am positive they wouldn't get involved in that - the damage to their company would be too great if they were found out.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread