Question GEO Targeting and eBay
    We signed up with different countries for eBay and planned on using Geo Targeting to change ads depending on IP number.

As soon as we did this we noticed that our sales plummented. However this was at a time when all our sales plumentted (as everyone on this board was complaining at the time) and it turned out to be a different reason.

We'd like to try again but now we have some questions. For instance, say that if someone from Canada clicked on the eBay.ca link but couldn't find what they were looking for then typed in eBay.com and bought ...would we be credited? As a Canadian myself, I know that I use eBay.com a lot simply because there is more to choose from and I usually find what I want.

Would you suggest I use the eBay.ca or eBay.com for Canada? How bout other countries? Do they prefer to use eBay.com as well? Are we credited if they went through their own countries link first? So many questions I know. Whatever light you can shine on this area will be appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is unlikely that you will be credited for an ebay.com sale if the person didn't click through an ebay.com affiliate link, but you need to address this with Ebay directly.

There are several Linkshare merchants that will not credit a sale if the person ultimately purchased through a sister site after linking to the original site through an affiliate link UNLESS you are also an affiliate of that sister site. One example of this is ToysRUs. Your customer has clicked through your TRU affiliate link but once on the TRU site, he clicks on the BabiesRUs tab and makes a BRU purchase. If he is not a BRU affiliate, he gets no credit. If he is a BRU affiliate, he gets credit. The same applies for Radisson and all of their sister brands.

CJ merchants Westin/Sheraton/Four Points will only credit you if you book the brand of the affiliate link clicked. If they click a Westin affiliate link but book a Sheraton that is advertised on the same site, you will not receive any credit at all. This is a huge leak that the merchant is totally unwilling to correct.

Maybe for non-US traffic you could land on an interim page that has affiliate links to both the US site and the local site? It would at least be worth testing out. You should probably test all three and use the one that performs the best:

1) All traffic to US site.
    2) All traffic to their local country site.
    3) All non-US traffic to a landing page that lets them choose which site.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Maybe for non-US traffic you could land on an interim page that has affiliate links to both the US site and the local site? It would at least be worth testing out. You should probably test all three and use the one that performs the best:

1) All traffic to US site.
    2) All traffic to their local country site.
    3) All non-US traffic to a landing page that lets them choose which site.
    We have already tested US only on eBay. The third opions is not feasible since we are using GEO Tracking. I guess this really is a question for eBay.

We went through this a couple of years ago.

If someone from Canada clicks on your eBay.com link and registers, you will not be credited for a $12 ACRU. The reason is that eBay.com redirects the user to eBay.ca when they enter "Canada" in their registration country field. This is a very likely scenario because of that hard (and largely transparent to the user) redirection.

If someone from Canada clicks on your eBay.com link and bids from eBay.com, I would expect that you would be paid by eBay.com for this bid. However, if they realize that they are on eBay.com and then type in eBay.ca in their browser window (I do this from time to time) and bid on eBay.ca, I think you would not get credit if they win the auction, because the reason for the non-ACRU that eBay.ca gave me is that since they didn't set the cookie, they don't pay for it.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread