The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Network Rank
    Publishers are ranked by commissions earned over the past 90 days. Each square represents one quarter of the publishers earning from the network. For example, a publisher with three squares is in the 51st to 75th percentile.
    I never grasped "percentiles" in high school (or sign, co-sign, and tangent), but I was comfortable knowing I would never see it again in real life!!!

Drop the percentiles, and assign me a letter grade! I grasp A, B C D and F

Percentiles For Dummies: Percentile is the percent of people that you rank above. For instance, if your earnings are higher than 95% of others, you're in the 95th percentile.

Remind me never to tell you my calculus joke.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I grasp A, B C D and F
    In my school district, we had E at the bottom instead of F.
    After all those years, it'll never seem right to inexplicably skip that letter and jump to F...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I grew up with 'E' too.

It's almost like they are saying: 'we gave you an F. You are dumber than dumb'.

Publishers are ranked by commissions earned over the past 90 days. Each square represents one quarter of the publishers earning from the network. For example, a publisher with three squares is in the 51st to 75th percentile.
    Sounds like a good motivational technique they've come up with. Showing publishers where they currently are comparing to where they could be may be discouraging to some, but if a publisher is serious about growing, it may encourage them keep trying, looking for new methods, niches, techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Drop the percentiles, and assign me a letter grade! I grasp A, B C D and F

Wikipedia quote:

Here is a common example of an American quality index, showing letter grade, qualitative definition and correlative quantitative value.

• A = Excellent or Superior; or top 10% (90 to 100) = 4.00
    • B = Above Average; or second 10% (80-89) = 3.00
    • C = Average; or third 10% (70-79) = 2.00
    • D = Below average, minimum passing grade (60-69); or fourth 10% = 1.00
    • F (Also N or E): Failure or Exceptionally Poor; or bottom 60% (0-59) = 0.00

However, with school grades, it is quite different, isn't it? They are always tied to an absolute correct answer. In the above-quoted publishers' rankings, they are basically segmenting publishers into four groups according to their earnings over a period 90 days (and everyone's earnings are always dynamically changing, so if you're really good with some niche Q1/Q4 seasonal product line you could've had "four squares" in Q1, then "three squares" in Q2 and Q3, and then again "four squares" in Q4). So percentile-assigning is really much more accurate for this than a school-grade-assigning.

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Remind me never to tell you my calculus joke.
    Let's pretend BK isn't here--I want to hear it.

Michael

Okay, I'll tell it. Maybe some people will get it. I told it to a group of about 40 people once and none of them got it. They don't ask me to tell jokes any more.

Two math teachers were sitting in a restaurant discussion the lack of math knowledge by the general public. One guy laments that most people don't know math, while the other argues that they do.

The first guy gets up to visit the men's room, and while he's gone the waitress stops by the table. The guy at the table asks the waitress if she'll answer a question when his friend returns. She agrees, and he tells her to give the answer "E to the X" no matter what he asks her.

The friend returned from the bathroom and they resume their discussion. They agree to make a bet about whether or not the waitress can correctly answer even the simplest calculus question.

When she returns, the first guy asks her, "What is the integral of E to the X?"

She looks confused, and then says "E to the X."

As she walks away, still looking confused, she turns around and adds, "plus a constant!"
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Okay, I'll tell it. Maybe some people will get it. I told it to a group of about 40 people once and none of them got it. They don't ask me to tell jokes any more.
    Ha ha ha. Okay--now stop telling jokes.

No, really.

It's been a lot of years (14, I think) since I last took Calculus, so I couldn't answer the question, but I *do* get the joke.

Michael

Glad you responded. I thought I might have killed the thread by telling the joke.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Michael: I'm the official thread killer here.

BTW: I liked your joke. I never took calculus, so I didn't expect to, but I was a waitress back when I was young, so maybe that's why I got it.

Billy - your turn - and your choice - calculus joke or waitress joke.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LOL - I read MC's joke and

pictured him auditioning for "America's Funniest Moms"

and in my mind I saw the dead silence in the audience after the punchline

Followed by the "Network Test Pattern" screen - "due to difficulties beyond our control, we're going to a commercial"

Just for curiosity, let's assume I know nothing about calculus. How long would it take to explain the joke to me?

It should be fairly obvious even if you don't know calculus. The real answer is "E to the X plus a constant", but the integral of anything includes "plus a constant" and the guy forgot to tell the waitress that (but she knew it anyway). The irony is that he's the one arguing that people know math yet he assumes that the waitress doesn't when she really does.

E to the X is a unique function to integrate since it is it's own integral (excluding the constant) and derivitive. Usually, taking the integral of something makes it more complicated.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread