Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Google has bought Doubleclick!
    Just Announced!!!!

Purchase Price: $3.1 Billion

See http://news.yahoo.com/

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    G now owns Performics.
    CJ and LS, here comes G.

The sale also raises questions about how Google will manage its existing business and that of the new DoubleClick unit while avoiding conflicts of interest. If DoubleClick’s existing clients start to feel that Google is using DoubleClick’s relationships to further its own ad network, some Web publishers or advertisers might jump ship.
    This is going to be interesting. I though G would develop something themselves. I guess the value was in the existing client base more than the technology. I actually didn't think this would happen.

(Look at the bright side. At least they didn't buy ebates.)

Internet Cowboy
    But will this further empower the ebates of the world or will it hamper their efforts?
    I am not sure what to think yet, but I think the PFX employees will be getting gourmet lunches starting soon.

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    3.1 billion...holy cow...makes 160 million seem like peanuts!
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

This is big news. Now maybe Google can get the deadbeat merchants like IBuyDigital and RefurbDepot to pay up on the commissions they skipped out on.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    dang - wish i can post as someone else - but i'll ask anyway

just got the email from performics

the question i'm asking (oh behalf of someone else - LOL) is...

is doubleclick a merchant on performices - like eddiebauer - or is doubleclick performics itself?

ABW Ambassador
    Google Buys DoubleClick for $3.1 Billion
    Google Buys DoubleClick for $3.1 Billion

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/14/te...42e&ei=5087%0A

Hopefully this won't drive click revenues to publishers down. I'm excited about the possibility a nasdaq type ad bidding.

Dear Valued Publisher:

I am pleased to announce that DoubleClick has signed a definitive agreement to be acquired by Google. The transaction is expected to close later in 2007. To review the press release, please visit: www.doubleclick.net.

We are thrilled to have the opportunity to partner with another industry leader and to provide significant added value to our customers. Joining forces with Google will accelerate our ability to bring innovations to market while maintaining our commitment to providing you with the high level of service to which you are accustomed.

You will retain the advantages you now receive from DoubleClick – including world-class service, leading solutions, deep expertise in and understanding of your business – which, upon closing, will be enhanced by Google’s renowned research and development expertise and leadership in innovation. We look forward to leveraging this partnership to bring you even more effective ways to monetize your inventory.

I’m sure you will have many questions as to how this transaction may affect your current working relationship with DoubleClick and your current contracts. Let me assure you that a change in DoubleClick’s ownership will not change the terms of your client contract. Most importantly, a change in ownership will not affect your ownership of your data. Your data remains your property and subject to the terms of your contract.

Between now and closing, nothing will change. As we work with the Google team to plan for the combination of our organizations, our top priorities will be to keep you as well informed as possible of the progress of the merger and to continue to provide you with the highest level of service.

We look forward to our continued collaboration and success. If you have any further questions, please contact your account representative.

Stuart Frankel
    President, Performics
    Just arrived in my inbox as well.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Thread already started here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=88282

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

This can't be a good thing for affiliates or merchants in the long run IMHO.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    dang - wish i can post as someone else - but i'll ask anyway

just got the email from performics

the question i'm asking (oh behalf of someone else - LOL) is...

is doubleclick a merchant on performices - like eddiebauer - or is doubleclick performics itself?
    I had thought DoubleClick bought performics but wasn't sure either. I ... ummmmm ... mean someone ... ahh ... else wasn't sure.

Nuts
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

I wonder how and if performics will lure top merchants away from CJ/Linkshare. I'm assuming this would be their #1 priority.

Performics got the Vonage affiliate program last week.

Any thoughts?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Will the new owners tolerate the use the adware within PFX and DoubleClick... very big question... will affect our industry in a very big way in whichever direction it falls.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow! G will now own Performics, CJ and Linkshare.... Maybe they'll buy Y and M next and we can all go to work for G. I too hear that the lunches are good! It will indeed be interesting to see how the new ownership will play out. Still being less than a pro on this stufff I am very interested in seeing where the evolution of G will end up. I imagine the FTC is too.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ALH - AmeritrustRx
    Wow! G will now own Performics, CJ and Linkshare....
    Huh? Did I miss a couple other big announcements?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Nah, you didn't miss any announcements MC. Just the light hearted sarcasm. Of course, who knows what G will buy next?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Hmmm I really thought they would build something themselves but I guess they wanted to get into the game sooner rather than later. Is performics new slogan "dont be evil" is the real question.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

How big of a part of Doubleclick is Performics? My guess is that Google could really care less about Performics (but I could be wrong).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    This will give Google a ton more data about the user and the companies using double click. Google can tie the info they collect there with their search data and other data they collect for behavior advertising purposes and/or who knows what else. Practically the entire range of data about a user and the companies that use double click will all be brought together within Google. That's a lot of powerful information to have within one company.

ABW Ambassador
    "How big of a part of Doubleclick is Performics? My guess is that Google could really care less about Performics (but I could be wrong)."

Time will tell but I kind of agree with that. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out. If they try to get all those merchants at Performics to put Google Checkout on their sites, get them tied into Adwords if they're not already. What about the parasites? Are there conflicts of interest with Google owning an affiliate network, one that provides search engine marketing to merchants. Just look at the first 3 words in their title tag at Performics:

http://www.performics.com

Search Engine Marketing

I don't think it's anything bad for affiliates, don't see any big changes with Performics. I think they mainly wanted the other stuff that came with the purchase, Performics just came with it and they'll probably do some things with that.

I could not begin to hazard a guess as to what G's long term plan is in buying Performics. I strongly suspect it is just a small piece of a much more extensive plan. But if they were willing to pay 3.1 bil, it must be something far beyond what my limited experience can surmise right now. Like everyone else, I will wait to see...

ABW Ambassador
    i dont know about you but the whole " i am google..have tons of cash... i will buy them all" thing scares me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast