ABW Ambassador
    Why Don't the Networks Require Non-Tracking to be Reported to Affiliates?
    In the past 24 hours, Overstock and Ebay have both reported non-tracking issues that have spanned several days. I applaud these merchants for being honest but why isn't this required by the networks?

There have been tons of non-tracking issues that are never reported. Over the years, I've caught so many tracking issues that were never reported and I'm confident that I've been the victim of countless more that I never even found out about.

Most of the time it's a result of new technology being implemented without any check to determine if it impacted affiliate tracking. Sometimes links that are copied directly from the network interface don't track. I've experienced this and we've had reports of this on ABW.

Why don't the networks require that merchants inform them any time new technology is implemented so that testing can be done to ensure that affiliate tracking isn't effected?

Do you have links to these reports?

relax, tracking was never effected :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd
    Overstock and Ebay notified their affiliates by email. Here are a couple of threads from ABW. I know there are a lot more.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=87251

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=82650

Do a search for Google Checkout. When it was first implemented last year, it didn't track at all. Most merchants who use GC do now track but there are a few that still don't.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Todd
    Overstock email received this afternoon:

Dear -----,

We experienced a tracking issue over the last 4 days that was caused by
    a new site-testing technology. We fixed this problem this morning.

Because of this problem, we will prorate your sales for April 9 to
    April 12 based on your average sales volume for the previous four week
    period dated Mar 8 - April 5. This amount will be added to your April sales
    and commissions.

If you have any questions regarding this matter, please email us at
    affiliategroup@overstock.com

Best Regards,

The Overstock.com Affiliate Team
    Can't find the eBay one - I may have deleted it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, thereís no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Why don't networks require it? Because it would make them look bad. If people saw how frequently there were problems, they would be upset.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Why don't networks require it? Because it would make them look bad. If people saw how frequently there were problems, they would be upset.
    These aren't network issues. They are merchant issues so I can't agree that it would make the network look bad. I see it just the opposite. If the networks required it and imposed sanctions when it happened, it would make the networks look good.

Of all of the instances of non-tracking that I have uncovered and brought to the merchant's attention, not once has that merchant sent out a notification to affiliates. A few times I was provided a settlement based on an estimate of lost sales, but as far as I can tell, no other affiliate of that merchant was notified or compensated.

MichaelColey wrote: "Why don't networks require it? Because it would make them look bad. If people saw how frequently there were problems, they would be upset."

And Snowman replied: "These aren't network issues. They are merchant issues so I can't agree that it would make the network look bad. I see it just the opposite. If the networks required it and imposed sanctions when it happened, it would make the networks look good."

I must disagree -- in general, the networks believe (reasonably) that affiliates view any negative information as reflecting on the network's reliability. Thus, if Network X sends an email reporting that tracking for Merchant Y was not working from April 8-10, many affiliates will conclude that it's a problem with Network X, even if both X and Y agree that it was a problem at Y's site.

What I do agree is that the networks should be more proactive in monitoring and testing the merchants. I've been quite disappointed recently to find so many SAS merchants who are truly defunct, yet are still listed on SAS as active merchants; this leads me to worry about whether tracking is working for the merchants who aren't obviously defunct but who may have made tracking-disabling technical changes in the 2 or 20 months since the last trackable transaction was reported.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread