ABW Ambassador

I think I'm feeling sick....

With Inktomi traffic at a trickle for me already, it just means I won't be paying them again when most pages come up for renewal...

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

ABW Ambassador
    Makes me wish I didn't waste my time adding books, magazines, movies & video games to my Shop Online area this weekend! S.O.B.!!

Supras | Celicas

Haven't renewed any positiontech listings for 4 months now and it looks that I will let all expire.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You can bet all major SE's are out there looking for ways to cut into affiliate commissions. What do you think the stand is for the networks allowing any old SE to become a Superaffiliate and pad all listing with their own monitary links. Site ranking then becomes a factor of who's willing to pay for it rather than content. What's to prevent CJ from seeding all Overture.com keyword links themselves with another Idealabs funded dummy comapny with a CJ affiliate account.

Again the pay per performance industry has to distance itself from the rat infested advertising industry. Nothing but slick con-artists operate online advertising initiatives.

WebMaster Mike

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Oh, yet another "terrible for affiliates" wolf-cry.

The article says,

"Inktomi released the news at the Jupiter/IAB Advertising Forum, announcing Amazon.com (stock quote link snipped) would include its full product catalog on Inktomi's search index through the Inktomi Index Connect pay-for-performance program."

BIG DEAL!

So Amazon's listings will show up along with ours. Good for them! That's regular competition and no different than when they show up at Google!!!

I will not allow my listings at Ink to expire just because they dared to *gasp* accept listings from a serious competitor! Sheesh... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Most of the Ink listing I have are for higher-margin items than I do through Amazon - so basically, my Ink listings shouldn't be impacted too much.

Меня зовут Динаму

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Leader brings up a good point. If AM is going to be your business, then you need to treat it as a business. In any business, all the different factors that can affect a business are in constant flux. The successful business person is someone who is able to keep up with the changes, evaluate how they may impact on their business, and stay ahead of the curve. Those who can't, don't succeed. There will always be threats. As an owner of a business, it's our jobs to assess the changes and then formulate plans to address them.

I've always thought that relying so heavily on SE for traffic sites is risky business. The SE industry has been in constant flux since it's inception. That's not to say that there is not benefit there. But for those who use them as the main focus to drive traffic to their site, it is risky business. High risk ventures can always lead to high payouts, but all high losses. If an affiliate wants to insure long term success for their site with less sleepless nights and less consumption of antiacids, then they need to concretely develop a comprehensive marketing strategy for visitor acquisition and retention that goes beyond just SE. Personally, I've always viewed my SE traffic as that "extra" that I greatly appeciate, but don't rely on to heavily. As of yet, I've never been "shafted" with the myriad of changes in the SE industry with different SE taking dominence over one another or internal changes withing the SE. But then again, I've never paid to be included in a SE either. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] It just goes against my grain to pay someone else to provide them with the content they need to run a profitable commodity.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread