More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Death To The Link Page
    It seems like Google is hardly indexing any link pages now - are you seeing this?

I have a link page on my own site that is somewhat targeted yet strays a little off my main theme and it is not listed. On another page, with links to mostly my own pages that is more targeted, it is listed.

On a different site, a "Resource" page is indexed, but the links are strictly in line with the content of the site.

So, unless you keep your link page strictly in line with your site content and the people you trade with do likewise, you stand to gain no google value from a trade except for the value of direct traffic from the page.

Trading links with sites having hundreds of links is now nearly a waste of time. I am not whining, just making an observation.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I think a lot of it has to do with the way link pages are done now. Digg has redefined how we do link pages with their popularity ranking. A link page that simply lists static links can't really compete against these new dynamic link pages popping up everywhere.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Lmao!

Links pages are dead - So are links - Heck I dont even use the word "links" on my sites as I believe that is a search engine stop word. Build a quailty site and others will link to you.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    [QUOTE=nyfalcon]Links pages are dead./QUOTE]

No, they are not in all cases. As I stated, I have a link page on one site that gets indexed and the trades I have get me direct traffic and are on indexed pages. But my site and the other sites I link to stick strictly to the topic of the site. For low tech niches, the sites often will be 90's era style. In this particular case that is what I see. Some sites are even on free hosting - yet they rank high because they feature relevant content. A link that gets you traffic from site visitors of the hosting link is always a good thing.

The traditional link page with directories to many different areas is dead, at least with Google.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

This link is a little off-topic, but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/how-to-report-paid-links/

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Links pages are dead
    In other news, fish swim in the sea

For years, my own links pages have gotten PR, but not ranked anywhere. What's new?

I think it's because links pages usually don't have a clear keyword to focus on. Even when they're all "related," links on those pages often aren't SEO'd, but use the target's site name instead.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

This link is a little off-topic, but I thought it was interesting.
    Not off topic in my book. A very good but creepy read. G wants all information to flow one way. If they keep it up Microsoft will loose it's honor as the most hated.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    If they keep it up Microsoft will loose it's honor as the most hated.
    G has had that dubious honor with me for a long time, whereas I don't have any problems with Microsoft.

I noticed a decent amount of negative comments in response to that blog post. At least some people are finally daring to disagree with G!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread