Thread: What do networks get wrong when launching affiliate programs?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Question What do networks get wrong when launching affiliate programs?
    Hi Everyone

I hope your all enjoying the weekend :-)

I wanted to get a thread going to hear feedback from the ABW community on what networks get wrong when launching an affiliate program in your experience.

We have launched hundreds of big brand programs over the years and look to try and improve the process continually.

Best way to do that is to always be looking for feedback imo and by learning from the mistakes of your peers also to avoid repeating these mistakes to often.

Example

You see a great announcement as an affiliate from one of your networks and think oh wow I can't wait to sign up but oh no I can't believe no one at the network has told the merchant to remove the url from thier creative!!!!

Basically looking for your experiences here and knowledge on some of the annoying things which all networks must work harder to improve when it comes to bringing a new merchant to the table.

Thanks in advance I look forward to the feedback

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    Advertising.com's buy.at affiliate network
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

Affiliate Network Rep
    We got a lot to live up to if no one has anything to improve on in terms of getting a program perfect from day one :-)

No one got anything interesting on this topic ?

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

Ticketmaster has Beta launched their affiliate program with buy.at - be one of the first to join now!

ABW Ambassador
    I have a few suggestions, some will save future headaches. Will get some together and post a few Monday. But first one is where is the affiliate agreement/rules? I wanted to go thru it and it's probably staring right at me and I'm missing it but I can't find them anywhere. I looked on the home page, checked around after I logged in, can't find a link to them. Thanks.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    What do networks get wrong when launching affiliate programs?
    Links to Swarovski that work You KNOW I had to say that Mate!

Got the check - many thanks.

Like Trust, I'm a fan so I'll try to post some pertinent tips...

But you're not typical Mal.

You actually do most things the right way - you surrounded yourself with affiliate friendly experts like Andy... so it won't be easy

Clear unambiguous T's & C's, what's allowed and what's not. And the intestinal fortitude to enforce them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Internet Cowboy
    Clear terms for your merchants and affiliates and holding affiliates and merchants and affiliate managers accountable for breaking them is a start. I know of several programs out there right now that explicitly forbid certain activity and the trusted AM is allowing it and the merchant is clueless.

Encouraging affiliate managers not to launch a program until everything is in place and has been tested and proven to be working would be another one. Three times I have set up links to a program that was announced here, only to realize the tracking was not even working and the affiliate manager knew that but did nothing about it.

Affiliate Network Rep
    Smile
    Hey everyone

Thanks for the feedback - some good points there and I'm sure we can get a comprehensive best practice list as time goes on.

Trust mate on the Terms - do you mean the terms between you and buy.at or the merchant specific terms for things like ppc etc?

I think the main thing to concentrate on is listening from our side so keep the feedback coming and we will do what we can to implement good suggestions.

" intestinal fortitude " is destined to be my favourite line of the week :-))

Billy no worries on the check glad it got there safe!

Thanks again everyone

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

ABW Ambassador
    "Trust mate on the Terms - do you mean the terms between you and buy.at or the merchant specific terms for things like ppc etc?"

Terms between affiliates and the network and even merchants and the network, didn't see that either. Similar to what other networks have, affiliate agreements, code of conduct etc. Things about adware, cookie stuffing, so much more.

I would just watch out what's happening in the other network forums, what issues come up, what affiliates/merchants like and don't like and learn from other networks mistakes. I figure since you're still pretty much at the beginning, to get as much of it ironed out as possible from the start.

Some recent issues are forced clicks/cookie stuffing, merchants changing terms on the fly without notifying affiliates, unclear PPC rules leading to issues etc.

I think it would be great if all merchants would be required to have clear PPC rules from the start before their program went live. Don't know if that's how you have it setup already, have plans to or what. I know SAS was thinking of doing something like that, CJ is trying to have all merchants get a Keyword link but if you have it from the start, it won't be a problem down the line.

I guess this can be the thread if we have more ideas?

Affiliate Network Rep
    Hi Trust

Thanks for the heads up on some of the recent issues. We are educating merchants on those things.

We always try to ensure that merchants have paid search guidelines these are normally found in the program details page once youíre signed up.

The affiliate/network terms are in the sign up tunnel when you first join buy.at - I can send you a copy if you wish?

I can't remember the last time a standard merchant terms agreement was ever signed - they always come back with some red lines and it can take a while to finally agree on some things but we are always mindful of maintaining a balance in every action between both of our customers so some things we just wont move on as it's for the good of everyone that certain terms are in place.

I'm sure we could improve the terms though over time just as we can always improve our offering to affiliates and merchants. Itís still a new industry relatively and itís got a long way to go.

Best

Mal
    Malcolm Cowley
    malcolm.cowley@buy.at
    buyat.com

ABW Ambassador
    "The affiliate/network terms are in the sign up tunnel when you first join buy.at - I can send you a copy if you wish?"

With that it's probably best just to copy and paste whatever you have onto a page and then link to it so it's easy for people to find. For affiliates and merchants who want to check it out before they sign up or if they want to check it again after they sign up. So you don't have to email them each time.

Will probably pop some more ideas in this thread as they come along. Thanks.

11. Newsletter Signup