Merchant wants OK on parasitic affililiates?
    Okay, how do YOU feel?

A merchant who had an in-house affiliate program decided to join an affiliate network known for parasites (at least via discussions on ABW) and wrote about this issue.

The merchant says it can "control the tru[ly] *bad* parasites"
    but would like approval of its desire to "partner with companies like Upromise and eBates"
    The merchant doesn't seem to believe that companies like Upromise and eBates would hijack commissions [on a grand scale].

How would you respond to the merchant?

How would you respond to the blogger who suggests margin as a way to factor losses against such threats?
    One thing to keep in mind is that the use of margin in an account can work against you as well as for you so I wonder if factoring losses in ROI calculations could work for an affiliate over time?
    What about the "small (one person) affiliate?"

Read and respond to and/or respond here.
    Last edited by Trust; April 15th, 2007 at 12:11 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    There are already plenty of responses in the thread here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=87365

My response from elsewhere:
    "You can actually read the thread about Cafe Press:

It's not only affiliates that aren't happy, the shopkeepers too.

"These are my view… what are yours?"

In general, the affiliate managers that let in these type of affiliates should be fired by the people who hired them to run their affiliate program. Toolbar/adware affiliates basically just sit on a user's computer (those who have it) and target the merchants domain. Dumb.

A merchant usually has great natural SERPS. They usually do PPC. They usually have direct type in traffic. They usually have newsletters.

Now they're going to be paying commissions on what otherwise would be free traffic. When they do PPC, they're going to pay twice.

If merchants want to work with reward type sites, do it with sites where shoppers shop thru the site. "

There were responses already here at ABW."

Basically the same response over the years to any merchant who does dumb stuff like that.

Good response, Trust.
    I noticed the merchant in question had specified ABW as the source of disenchantment so I was hoping an ABWer would respond.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'd be sending them back a 2 word response .... Bye-Bye.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Suggesting margin to cover one's losses is like suggesting that the solution to dealing with a bully who steals your lunch is to hide a power bar in your shoe.

What a load of crap.

I would tell them that the reality is I only have the resources to promote a limited number of merchants. Since they decided to allow parasites into their program, I will decide to promote a different merchant. There are enough merchants who don't allow parasites to keep me busy.

It's unfortunate that CP made a bad decision. It would be different if they made it only for themselves. Making that bad decision for all of their merchants will only hurt them in the long run.

If they asked me the question, my response would be: "I got two words for you, and they aren't Happy Birthday."

15 years and counting
    Just my experience with one merchant, a network: LinkShare and eBates.
    I signed up this merchant listed on LinkShare in 1997 for one of my sites started in 1995.
    I made roughly the same amount of money in commission every month from 1997 to 2000 paid by LinkShare. No pb. After the dot.com burst the merchant decided to become Indy. The first commission check paid by this merchant as an Indy was twice the amount paid by LS. I had the same private commission level, and the same traffic. Between 2000-2003, I enjoyed the same commission check of twice my average former amount. (Are all the sales tracked by a network?)
    Late 2003, eBates was able to convince the merchant to work with them. I saw a drop of 25% in my average commission check. It took me two months to notice eBates was on board and to discuss with the merchant about deactivating them. After 5 months, the merchant total sales figures were the same. eBates was just diverting sales from the merchant and the affiliates. Six month later, (one month after their termination) my commission check was back to normal and is still the same today for the same amount of traffic.
    10 years 1997-2007 in April, it's a lot of stats with the same merchant, more than enough to understand the value of a network and a parasite. (Never had a month without a check from this merchant in 10 years)
    This merchant learn the hard way not to partner anymore with parasites like Upromise, iGive or other companies with incentives, cashback... and a reminder.

Toolbar/adware affiliates basically just sit on a user's computer (those who have it) and target the merchants domain. Dumb.
    This merchant learn the hard way not to partner anymore with parasites like Upromise, iGive or other companies with incentives, cashback... and a reminder.
    This type of stuff always fascinates me in so far as I am at loss to understand:

1. How many "dumb" merchants there are out there (looking at the sign-ups on said para-sites)
    2. How much money merchants lose by paying another company to hijacked their own traffic at the merchants cost through Trademark, SEO, & PPC efforts.
    3. How their competition can easily increase margins by xx% by dumping pop-ups
    4. Why any merchant would harass consumers by allowing pop-ups

Boggles the mind...

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    How would you respond to the merchant?
    The merchant (or probably more aptly the managers) has been responded to....numerous times. They seem to be just continuing to ask until someone gives them the answer they want to hear.

How would you respond to the blogger who suggests margin as a way to factor losses against such threats?
    I responded to Vinny's blog. I was somewhat surprised to see no one else had responded.

Mr. Jones...does seem mind boggling doesn't it? Corporate mentality often is. It's not always logical.

Cool Weekend traffic
    Hey Kellie

Thanks again for your response! My weekend traffic is unusually low, but I've forwarded the threat to some people who should (but might not) comment!

Cheers

Vinny

ABW Ambassador
    "I will raise it with the appropriate industry representatives!"

Are you meaning networks?

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread