Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Jackie Robinson Day
    Happy Jackie Robinson day!

Today is the sixtieth anniversary of his first game with a MLB team, which also marks the date major league baseball became racially integrated.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/jrd/index_07.jsp

I was at the Mets-Dodgers game when they retired #42 for all teams. I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Since President Clinton was to do the honors on the field you can imagine secret service was tight. Everyone that day had to enter through one or two gates and pass through metal detectors. After waiting for an hour on the ramps inside the stadium waiting to go through everyone was frustrated but they understood why. Just as I was next to go through the gates there was a couple right in front of me. A rather big muscle guy and his girlfriend. The guy turns to the sectret service officer and says "What happens if I have a gun?" That was his exact words as I was standing right behind him. Well needless to say he and his girlfriend was thrown up against the wall so fast they didn't know what hit them. It turns out the guy was an off duty cop and didn't know what to do with his gun.

Lesson learned dont ever go up to secret service and tell them that you have a gun.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I met Jackie Robinson when I was a teenager. He lived in the same town as me, in fact he was next door neighbors with one of my dad's friends, which is how I came to meet him.

Unfortunately it looks like the NYC baseball games have been postponed today so there will be no baseball for me.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thundershowers in LA last night and possibly more rain later today, but the game here tonight, where all members of the Dodgers will wear JR's #42, will probably be played.

I've been to a couple of games where JR was honord, and at the last one, two or three seasons ago, they gave out a nifty statute of him sliding into home plate. It's on a shelf in my den next to a similar statute of Sandy Koufax pitching.

I also saw JR play in two oldtimer's games. In the first one he was still able to do well, but the second game was different. You could tell he was not well, and that his eyesight was failing. The PA announcer told the crown that he had forgotten his glasses.

Though I never saw him play in a regular game, I'm proud to say that I did see him on the field on these occasions.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Rhea
    They put up a statue of Jackie down in brooklyn by the Mets minor league park. Very nice tribute
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Hey NYF, thanks for the info about the statue. There's a nice one in my hometown, too.

Speaking of baseball, what are your feelings about THE APPLE? I want them to retire it and build a new one (or at least send it to Maaco for a paint job) but hubby says it is inviolable and should not be tinkered with or replaced lest Los Mets lose their considerable powers. Or something like that. Anyhoo, what say you? Replace it, refurbish it or leave it alone?

Also, where can I find out the dimensions of the new stadium? I wanna know how many feet it is from home plate to the center field wall.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Also, where can I find out the dimensions of the new stadium? I wanna know how many feet it is from home plate to the center field wall.
    408' in center.

All the info is here:

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/nym/ball...comparison.jsp
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Thanks! That's a great page.

I think the apple no relevance, actually I forgot about it

http and a telephoto

The Empire State Building Friday night was lit for Jackie Robinson...

(taken from the Top of the Rock at Rockefeller Center.... more will be here )
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread