Frustrated Affiliate Marketer
    I am not a newbie, and have had a successful online business for 7 years now. I am wanting to diversify my revenue sources and recently hooked up with a so-called affiliate guru who says he makes 10k a day.

Seemed like a nice enough guy. Saw a couple of his affiliate sites and they looked fine. He offered to mentor me, so we set up several new sites and landing pages for affiliate products and set up adwords campaigns just like he said he does.

I blew through about 1k the first month. Did not make a profit and decided to bail on it. Did not want to blow through 1k a month.

Now please know I am a current affiliate marketer in my niche, and have many successful JV partners. This was going into new markets and trying new methods.

How can an affiliate marketer make money with the competition being so tough. Just take a look at any topic and look at the adwords campaigns in google. They all look the same.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Hi Taylor, welcome to ABW!!

Sorry to hear about your frustration

As you know, by being in AM it's all about sales, and sales is all about peaks and valley's. Sounds like you had a grand canyon month!!

Instead of being so frustrated, find what you learned from the experience. You took a risk (something a lot of people won't do) and it didn't work out, that's ok. WHY didn't it work? Therein lies the lesson to be learned.

Don't let competition get you down. Competition drives us to be more creative.

I sold cars in a county that had the highest unemployment rate in the state and had a car dealership on practically every corner. It pushed me to be a better saleswoman

Don't let the valley's get you down, we all have them.

Best of luck
    Last edited by rgrsgrl; April 15th, 2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know there's got to be a solid way to make additional money from affiliate marketing. I'll see myself around the site and hope to hear more comments.

For the record, I'm very conservative in the amount I want to add to my current revenue. I don't need to get rich for this AMing to make it worth my while.

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorBaylor
    How can an affiliate marketer make money with the competition being so tough.
    Actively participate in this forum.

Read, search, read, search, lather, rinse, repeat.

Internet Cowboy
    Taylor,
    PPC is only one stream of many that you can use to create revenue. Just as you are diversifying into the affiliate side, diversify your affiliate efforts as well.
    You will be able to make money with PPC with one merchant and not the next for many reasons. It is all trial and error.
    Search, read, lather, rinse and repeat is great advice. There is a ton of great information on this board.
    Best of luck and keep your head up!
    Scott

On that $1k spend, did you recoup anything? Sometimes the difference between success and failure is pretty narrow, especially while you're getting things up and running, earning trust & links, building organic content, and testing different methods to see what works.

Obviously, if you're throwing money down the sink, change gears, but if your net loss is 50% or better in your first couple months, you may just need to give it a harder try.

Good luck!

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    What Scooter said Taylor. Diversification is key, as is persistence and trial and error. How can an insurance agent make money when there are millions of insurance agents? How can a shoe store make money when there are millions of shoe stores? How can -------- you fill in the rest, and you can apply it to hundreds of other occupations, niches, industries as well.

Competition is a platform to stardom if you are willing to do the things it takes to get there, and you exercise patience, which is another word for persistence. If you reach markets they don't reach, do it better and cleaner than they do, develop more effective sales and closing messages than they have, and lead the way, the others will be competing while YOU are CREATING.

I don't know what you PPC'd for a month, so it is hard to say if it is worth pursuing through PPC. But the fact that you spent $1,000 in one month and didn't achieve stunning results is not necessarily a sign to pull out of PPC. Could be your landing pages need further development, your sales and / or closing message may need improvement, your keywords, ads, or any number of other things, and I doubt that one month would land you in top SEO results, assuming you have begun the SEO process.

Without knowing all the particulars, I doubt anyone here can really give a definitive answer, but from your post itself, my first thought was patience, which entails more than a month. Good luck to you.

Alan
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorBaylor
    I blew through about 1k the first month. Did not make a profit and decided to bail on it. Did not want to blow through 1k a month.
    So you had revenue, but not profit? Sounds like it's time to tune your campaign. Keep the keywords that generated sales and dump the cash hogs.

Try other industries. There are niches out there with little to no competition. You just have to look a little harder a be creative.

I'd type a bit more, but my son's kicking me which throws off the dexterity just a touch...

Good luck!
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Affiliate Manager
    Good advice here. There are many affiliates making a lot of money using PPC exclusively - it's all about measuring and testing. You need to be able to track which keywords drove what sales. If you don't have the systems in place to do that then you're most likely going to lose money.

In the pre-Internet days, books by the guys who pioneered mail-order advertising made pretty much the same advertising is all about disciplined tracking of split ad runs, where you deliver different ads to similar markets, and constantly, constantly refine by keeping what works better and making it better still.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    In the pre-Internet days, books by the guys who pioneered mail-order advertising made pretty much the same advertising is all about disciplined tracking of split ad runs, where you deliver different ads to similar markets, and constantly, constantly refine by keeping what works better and making it better still.
    Oops; I see what should have been the word "point" followed by a colon got interpreted as a "point" smilie. Sorry for the unintended confusion.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread