Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

Hmm, could this be the next terror attack in the making?

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

It's been commented on that it looks odd because the attack stopped so quickly. To be truly effective they would have had to sustain the attack for about 24 hours.

Меня зовут Динаму

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It is always a happy dream where I wake up and find thousands of orders for TD computer systems were place at my site. Seems Some strange virus spread throughout all the P2P network users that completely wiped out their HD information and installed just Ver 1.2 of AOL. with a desktop flashing banner..click here to install Ad-Aware. You click it and another spyware/theftwarez program gets installed and you start all over again with a new strain of the old virus. Funny the background music playing during this dream was that dumb "Purple barney" song.

Well at least it wasn't a nightmare.

WebMaster Mike

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ....I'm supposing a nightmare would've included the 'Bob The Builder' theme song...lololol....

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Jeez ...Elbowcreek ..you might have upset the dream now as I was just able to make the Barney song a muted background noise.

WebMaster Mike

"Can we fix it?"

"Can we f**k!"

Well, that's my experience of builders anyway.

Меня зовут Динаму

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't know about a "terror attack" per se--as in, one brought by an Al-Queda-type terrorist group. But a group of hackers who just want to be able to say they "Brought Down the Entire Internet" being responsible for the attack is likely! They'd go down in history and that's all it takes for a lot of hackers to start coding.

As a terrorist attack I don't think it'd be worth a heckuva lot (in their opinion) because there are backup systems and off-net methods of communication, and as far as I know, truly life-or-death computing still doesn't go over the Net in most cases. Terrorists always seem to want to bring mega-casualties with their actions and basically causing a PITA to the Internet Community without killing anyone outright is probably not on a real terrorist group's agenda. (Hackers may CALL themselves "cyber-terrorists" or some crap but that wouldn't be the same...)

Scary, though, is the thought that the Net is running off of a stinking 13 root servers. I always had the impression that the whole Net was really held together with paperclips n' tape and that really adds to the sensation! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Geez!

I wouldn't be altogether surprised if there was some kind of news-making hack attack soon (not necessarily against the root servers) because the holiday season is upon us and that's when Amazon got hit last year. It makes more news if $XX Billion worth of commerce is disrupted, which it would be during this time of year, unlike during the summer where relatively little would be affected. This will bring fame seeking hackers out in force to try to get their nicks in the news for some act of high-tech vandalism!

Hopefully everything will stay up and running despite their attempts but Scrooges come out this time of year...

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread