Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Some CJ Links Are Down
    I'm getting Page Cannot Be Displayed through some CJ links, but not all of them. Anyone else?

ABW Ambassador
    Is it thru a specific cj domain? I've had some banners having problems not showing up thru my smartzones.

I'm seeing it with a lot of them. Page is loading but CJ banners are the last to load (on and off) and then some come up with red x's. Was happening late last night too.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I tested a few random products, banners and text links from a handful of different merchants on three different sites and all are working.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It seemed to be happening with all of the CJ domains, although they are working now. When they were not correctly resolving, the banners were still displaying properly. Then a short time ago, the dpolv... banners were coming up with red x's but they were resolving OK.

UPDATE: Now I'm getting red x's again on multiple domains but they are resolving properly.

I'm seeing the same problems. One minute they don't work. The next minute they do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    After seeing the last couple of posts, I went back and tried some of the same links I tried an hour ago. None worked. I tried them again a couple of minutes later, and they worked. No red Xs, though.

What's going on??
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

It looks like it's a problem within ValueClick. I caught it while it was happening, and here's a snipet from the traceroute:

15 58 ms 68 ms 63 ms dcr2-so-2-0-0.losangeles.savvis.net [204.70.192.86]
    16 54 ms 51 ms 51 ms dhr2-pos-0-0.elsegundola1.savvis.net [208.172.35.66]
    17 92 ms * 73 ms csr11-ve241.elsegundola1.savvis.net [216.34.192.226]
    18 95 ms 59 ms 68 ms csr11-ve241.elsegundola1.savvis.net [216.34.192.226]
    19 280 ms * 63 ms gig1-2.sw-core1.la.vclk.net [64.70.46.154]
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    22 * * * Request timed out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

And another, showing a loop in the traceroute:

15 51 ms 49 ms 50 ms dcr1-so-7-2-0.losangeles.savvis.net [204.70.192.245]
    16 51 ms 52 ms 52 ms dhr2-pos-0-0.elsegundola1.savvis.net [208.172.35.66]
    17 53 ms 48 ms 49 ms csr11-ve241.elsegundola1.savvis.net [216.34.192.226]
    18 51 ms * 63 ms gig1-2.sw-core1.la.vclk.net [64.70.46.154]
    19 55 ms * * gig1-2.sw-core1.la.vclk.net [64.70.46.154]
    20 * * * Request timed out.
    21 * * * Request timed out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

And another from a different location:

12 dhr2-pos-0-0.Elsegundola1.savvis.net (208.172.35.66) 39.338 ms dcr2-as0-0.LosAngeles.savvis.net (204.70.192.118) 39.002 ms 38.808 ms
    13 dhr2-pos-0-0.Elsegundola1.savvis.net (208.172.35.66) 38.871 ms csr12-ve243.Elsegundola1.savvis.net (216.34.192.235) 39.490 ms dhr2-pos-0-0.Elsegundola1.savvis.net (208.172.35.66) 39.486 ms
    14 csr12-ve243.Elsegundola1.savvis.net (216.34.192.235) 39.671 ms 39.655 ms 39.537 ms
    15 gig1-2.sw-core2.la.vclk.net (64.70.49.90) 39.238 ms gig3-1.sw-core4.snv.vclk.net (216.34.207.245) 49.203 ms gig1-2.sw-core2.la.vclk.net (64.70.49.90) 39.320 ms
    16 gig3-1.sw-core4.snv.vclk.net (216.34.207.245) 49.095 ms 49.015 ms 49.268 ms
    17 * * *
    18 * * *
    19 * * *
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you for the documentation, Michael.

To the best of my recollection, each time CJ links have been down over the past six to nine months, it's been on a Sunday evening.

All my product links are working correctly, a couple of my banners did the red-x thing. Looking at my smart zone pages on the CJ interface I got 1 red-x. Never saw that before, strange......

I keep trying to catch a working traceroute, but I haven't been able to catch them up long enough. This is just ridiculous.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

My cj links/banners are working fine 2night. But I've seen more than a few problems on Sun. nights before.

ABW Ambassador
    Still getting Page Cannot Be Displayed from some links on my site as well as all of the other sites I checked, including yours, Michael. This has been going on for over four hours now.

The problem is showing at http://www.apmeb(f).com. the DPBXXXX domain seems fine, but that redirects to the ****** one. It seems to be related to a specific path going in, as I have friends who can get it just fine.

when are they going to retrain the person in charge of the DNS administration. This is what I see to be the single most important issue they have failed to resolve. I noticed on Saturday that a few of the domains failed to resolve quickly, which made my whole page seem as though it had not loaded. Do they want us to pull ALL banners and use just text links?

There is no reason that I know of that this should be changing so frequently. Is this some sort of failsafe redirect/load balancing or something...why would the DNS listings be changing at all?

ABW Ambassador
    I think it is deplorable that CJ has not acknowledged this issue. It's been one thing after another with this company. I'd like to see it receive some national media coverage.

ABW Ambassador
    I find CJ links for Godaddy are not working, the page just never goes through. I haven't checked other merchants yet...
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

It's not a DNS problem really, it's a problem with what path your provider takes to reach ValueClick's network. Some paths going in worked, other didn't. It could've been an equipment issue with one provider's router.

Joshua,

I don't pretend to know it all, but DNS issues have been mentioned for a while now. Just so that I can understand what your talking about a little better, can you explain how one route is any different from another, once it reaches the given IP? Does this have anything to do with certain ISPs being blocked or reduced in connection speed (net neutrality issues?)

There has been lots of speculation as to the issue being DNS based, but very little in the way of proof as to what is causing this issue.

Snowman, It seems that every time this happens to you your backup connection (dailup) is able to connect fine..is that correct?

Michael, Do you know for a fact that the IP loop is an incorrect config? I think you had a post on DNS round robin setup for load balancing. does this look like a load balance that referrers to itself?

Maybe the next time this happens ....in a few days we should all do a trace route and post the results for Value Click to A) give them valuable information to fix the issue and B) better document what is going on.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Snowman, It seems that every time this happens to you your backup connection (dailup) is able to connect fine..is that correct?
    You're confusing this issue with the CJ login error screen. It's those times that I'm not having problems with my dialup connection when I am getting the error screen when attempting to log into the CJ Account Manager through my regular high speed connection. That error screen contains a CJ message. That's totally different than what was happening last night which resulted in Page Cannot Be Displayed.

is it?

setting change confused me delete this please :-|

Michael, Do you know for a fact that the IP loop is an incorrect config? I think you had a post on DNS round robin setup for load balancing. does this look like a load balance that referrers to itself?
    A server should never forward traffic to itself. It becomes like a black hole if it does. Nothing ever gets out. Load balancing would never do that (if configured properly).

Traceroute by it's nature is a bit imprecise. It's always possible that different hops in the traceroute took different paths and that hop 18 on one attempt was the same IP address as hop 19 on the next attempt. It's not that likely, though, and considering that links weren't working at the time, it certainly seems likely to have been the real problem.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Joshua,

I don't pretend to know it all, but DNS issues have been mentioned for a while now. Just so that I can understand what your talking about a little better, can you explain how one route is any different from another, once it reaches the given IP? Does this have anything to do with certain ISPs being blocked or reduced in connection speed (net neutrality issues?)

There has been lots of speculation as to the issue being DNS based, but very little in the way of proof as to what is causing this issue.
    From what I can tell, Valueclick has 2 bandwidth providers, Level3 and Savvis. Your ISP will direct you over whichever path (Level3 or Savvis) depending on what it sees as being quickest for you. If there's an issue with the Savvis link (equipment issue, denial of service attack), people going over the Savvis link should be re-routed over Level3 to avoid downtime. However, this change isn't instantaneous, and may not even happen automatically if one hop is simply extremely slow. Routing simply sees the fewest "hops" of a traceroute as the quickest route, and does not base it off of ping times or packet loss. These issues sometimes require manual intervention, so this may be slower on the weekends if ValueClick doesn't have a network engineer who knows what he's doing on site.

The timing out after ValueClick's router is probably normal, as it looks like they block pings even when the site is up. Here's the end of a trace over Level3:

13 61 ms 62 ms 62 ms unknown.Level3.net [63.215.192.182]
    14 62 ms 62 ms 62 ms gig3-2.sw-core4.snv.vclk.net [63.215.202.243]
    15 72 ms 71 ms 72 ms gig5-5.sw-core2.la.vclk.net [216.34.207.244]
    16 73 ms 71 ms 72 ms vlan6.sw-core1.la.vclk.net [64.70.54.2]
    17 * * * Request timed out.

Savvis goes to gig1-2.sw-core1.la.vclk.net and gig3-1, so if a problem occurred with either the gig1-2 or 3-1 routers, the site would show as down temporarily for people going in on that link.

Since CJ does use Akamai for DNS (choosing the best server in this case), I would think that Akamai could detect the link being down, but I'm not really sure about how Akamai's product works. I doubt it's a direct problem with Akamai's DNS though, as they provide service for tons of sites, and have enough experience to combat stupid errors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast