Larger Product Photos Anybody?
    Been noticing merchants adopting larger and larger product photos. For example both Nordstrom and Walmart are using high resolution photos all over their sites. It makes perfect sense to me. Let people get a better look and they'll be more likely to buy. Especially with everybody buying widescreen monitors. Are you adapting and increasing your image sizes? Seems many sites don't use anything smaller than 200px wide on their product pages while a lot of category pages are up to 150px wide. Where do you stand?

I like 150 on my category pages and 230 on my product pages. There's still a place for smaller product photos, but maybe not in these prominent places. I noticed Nordstrom uses smaller thumbnails on their search results, so what do you think about larger photos on category pages with smaller photos on search results? An obvious place for smaller thumbnails is the related products section of a product page.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I like larger product photos for the reasons you mentioned, Snib.

Search engines seem to like a page with a focus, so why not focus on a product with a detailed written description (copy) and a nice sized photo?

Smaller thumbnails could be used with search results or some type of categorical listing.

I am always happy to be given a choice of sizes if possible
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I am always happy to be given a choice of sizes if possible
    As a shopper or as an affiliate? As a shopper I'd like to get the highest resolution photo available. And as an affiliate I'd like the same.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    As a shopper or as an affiliate? As a shopper I'd like to get the highest resolution photo available. And as an affiliate I'd like the same.

- Scott
    The ayes have it...you are right on both counts
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I had a friend that used to manage an ecommerce shop. They started providing extremely high-res images (800px - 1200px wide) and sales boomed. The products were home decor products, high dollar ($300+), and the larger images are nearly a necessity. People spending more than a couple bucks online want to really get a sense of what will arrive at their doorstep. Glad to hear other merchants are starting to pick it up (means more sales to the CPA affiliates!)

Now the BIG question - are the high res images available in the product feeds?

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Large Images make your site look atrocious IMO. And usually you cannpt see the whole product above the fold, which is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    And usually you cannpt see the whole product above the fold, which is very important.
    Would it be possible to display some small categorical pics [maybe 3 as a selection?] above the fold and then to focus on one [i.e. a larger one] below?
    Not every page in the site would [have to] be set up this way, but could this be an idea for a section or a couple of pages?

I'm just thinking of different ideas ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi Rhia:

I was mainly talking product pics in my post. I usually abhor top navigations and much prefer to see nav on the left. This way it is not so in your face.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've ALWAYS loved large images. They convert much better than the little thumbnails. People want to be able to see--really SEE--what they're going to get!

This doesn't just apply to big-ticket items, either. People don't want to spend even $10 on a guess.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    How about thumbnails with a LARGER VIEW link that takes them to the larger view on the merchant's site? You get the clickthrough and the customer get's the larger view.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    How about thumbnails with a LARGER VIEW link that takes them to the larger view on the merchant's site? You get the clickthrough and the customer get's the larger view.
    A problem with this is if you're doing price comparison which merchant do you send them to? Ideally you want to show them the largest image possible before they choose which merchant to purchase from.

How about using larger thumbnails that create a floating div with a much larger photo when you mouse over them. That way the customer can see the large photo immediately without clicking. I've been seeing a trend here with mouseover product displays. Very neat.

- Scott

Yeah, the "View Big Picture" link is the key. I don't think people even now want an 800x600 image popping up on the product browse page. Still too many smaller monitor resolutions.

I think the other reason a lot more merchants are moving this direction is that the connection speeds have gone up. 5 years ago, you still had a lot of modem traffic - now it's either home DSL / Cable connectors or @ work surfers on a corporate backbone.

Affiliate Manager
    IMO a medium sized image embedded on the product page with larger images available upon click is ideal. The more pictures available the better!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDonald
    IMO a medium sized image embedded on the product page with larger images available upon click is ideal. The more pictures available the better!
    How do you define "medium sized"? Do you mean 150px, 200px or 300px wide? I've seen some sites use up to 300px as their default product image. Then there's a link below to view the image in extreme detail.

- Scott

Affiliate Manager
    It depends on the layout of the product pages. Some sites have a left and right navigation bars around the main content area. In that layout a 300px product image would squeeze the text and make the page feel cramped. As a rule of thumb I'd say product images should be no less than 25% and no more than 50% of the product page's content area width.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDonald
    It depends on the layout of the product pages. Some sites have a left and right navigation bars around the main content area. In that layout a 300px product image would squeeze the text and make the page feel cramped. As a rule of thumb I'd say product images should be no less than 25% and no more than 50% of the product page's content area width.
    Yes, you make a good point. But usually when it comes to product pages the navigation is eliminated because the seller wants the customer to focus on the product at hand, not on continued browsing. In which case 50% of the page can easily accommodate a 300px product photo. I personally think 25% is much too small and would recommend at least 40%.

- Scott

Affiliate Manager
    I ran through the numbers and you're right 25% is too small. Even at 750px wide that is still just 187px for the image. Should have thought about that a little bit more before I posted it.

I've seen 200px images that work fine but 300px is just about ideal.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Thanks for starting this thread snib, we were just chatting about this the other a day and I wasn't sure what you meant. Now I get it

Thanks
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

I set my images to 100 usually. 150 would be max and still have pages that look good.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I set my images to 100 usually. 150 would be max and still have pages that look good.
    I squint just imagining such small pix...

Are you talking about product pages, category pages or search results?

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Are you talking about product pages, category pages or search results?

- Scott
    Product pages = Large
    Categories = Medium
    Search results = Small
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I always put lots of products on one page. I have to manually resize them, if they are too big. It drives me crazy.

My pages vary. Some use thumbnails and some very large. I like to have a choice.

I like a mix too
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread