Just found out about parasites - where do I learn more...
    Hello,

I've been affiliate marketing for 6 months now, made a few dollars here and there - nothing regular. I put this down to:

1) my original site was done in a WYSIWYG editor (no coding), had no backlinks, and it was mostly a freebies forum

2) I began coding my site, but again, it had no backlinks and not much content - also, I was constantly redesigning the navigation structure. Brought site around to CSS design and got rid of alot of my tables. Started using SSIs (server side includes) to make updates easier. Learnning about fluid design across browsers...

3) Started reading about SEO. Started building copy, but it wasn't really useful, just excuses for keywords... Got my html skills up to the point where I can write valid transitional html (my site is being indexed fantastically...)

4) Came up with a good idea to market my products and add useful copy to my site all in one go. Currently almost finished with the template I will be using for my 100+ stores... Almost at the point where I feel comfortable promoting my site.

5) Just found this forum and was interested about someone's comment that they were "coding their links so they wouldn't be ripped off". I had no idea what they were talking about. I'd heard of people copying copy off of sites, but that the SEs check for duplicate content and the oldest site wins, also the obvious legal issues with copyrights, etc... Did a few searches here for "coding links" and "links ripped off" didn't find anything...

I think this is what people were talking about. I finally found it! And now I'm wondering if I have lost some commissions from this. I see alot of threads that will probably be useful to me once I get my head around the basics of this concept. Can anyone point me to a VERY basic starting point on this topic? I'm venturing out onto the big www for articles on this as well and will post some here if I find useful ones...

Thanks for anyone's help!
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Search through this forum on Parasites and check out http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/index.html as a start.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think there is anything that can 100% protect you from parasites. A good strategy is partner with networks and merchants that do not allow them, or incentive programs. Be careful though. Some merchants "claim" to be parasite free yet you'll find parasites in their program.

If I plan to build a site around a particular merchant/product I will spend extra the extra time up front to check out the program. Affiliatefairplay and this forum are great resources for research.

AFP is amazing. Just yesterday Kellie emailed me to let me know that she was doing work for another client and noticed some PW links popping up with a crapware application.

She's substantiating her note to me with a video of what she has observed.

So, THANKS AGAIN Kellie. Links have been cut and affiliates notified!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I love the AFP reports, so much detail!

And did you see the video series Kellie created at AFP to teach people what the nasty "loyaltyware" applications do? See it here:
    http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/adware_tutorial.html

Kellie I must thank you for posting those videos on your site!

Because I don't have loyalty-wear on my PC (and using Sunbelt Counter Spy) it's the first time I have seen this sequence of events. I'm amazed.

If I were a bean-counter or business owner I'd be really ticked off that my free Google listings and paid-for traffic was sending a commission to a third party.

As a business owner with deep pockets, I would be looking for money back!!

Fantastic site and enlightening videos. I've had high click-throughs for some of my merchants, and I get some very specific search engine queries bringing visitors to my site.

I've had the odd sale here and there: a few OneHanesPlace, A&E History Channel, RedEnvelope, couponbar, overstock.com off the top of my head. I wonder how many possible commissions were hijacked now...

I really can't believe this is tolerated (anti-trust laws and all that, but there is a legal forum on this issue here).

Just when I thought my site was "almost there". And I thought getting my drop-down lists working properly was going to be the next big hurdle ahead of me...

Absolutely unbelievable. A BIG THANK YOU TO THE MEMBERS OF THIS SITE FOR CALLING ATTENTION TO THIS!
    [IMG]http://www.centsible.net/images/centsible28x196.bmp[/IMG]
    Making Cents of the Internet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ishcofield it actually sounds like you've made quite a bit of progress in 6 months time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Mack gives good advice in choosing your partners carefully and to not to be careful about claims of parasite-free. It is, unfortunately, a marketing claim to recruit affiliates by some merchants and networks. Educating yourself is the definitely the first step, which you are doing. It helps you to be able to recognize the spin, smoke and mirrors, etc that gets thrown out there.

How many commissions are hijacked is the sixty-four million dollar question. We know it's out there and we know it happens. We know affiliates aren't credited with all the commissions they should. However, that doesn't mean that you can't still be successful as an affiliate. Many are successful. It does mean you have to work harder for the commissions you do earn, there's no way around that. Maximizing your own ROI becomes even more important. There are many factors the contribute to how well a merchant converts. Maximize those aspects of your business you can control.

And talk with your merchants and networks that you have relationships with where you see adware activity. Not saying to flame them, but let them know if you have issues with the practices of other affiliates they are partnering with that impact negatively on your business. Be factual and accurate, but let them know. They more affiliates they hear it from the better. If nothing else, you'll probably get a better feel for how seriously they take the issues themselves. Let them know you expect them to be proactive in preserving the integrity of your relationship with them. There are more than a few who are opposed to parasites, but don't react very proactively. They will act swiflty if someone like myself hands them them the information on a silver platter, but they take few if any proactive measures to police their programs. Ask your Managers/OPMs what they do to actively monitor their programs for unwanted behavior. Not talking about Joe, in case it looks that way from his post here.

Glad you guys found the videos helpful. I guess I need to get some more of them up.

Joe that was some swift action. I barely drew a breath after sending the email before I received a reply back. Thanks to my client who was willing to share the information without a second thought. Cooperation between merchants, networks, etc goes a very long way in combating the overall problem.

What Donuts...me go into a lot of detail? Never. LOL. What's been really cool for me is finally getting to a point of having enough data located in one place where patterns are emerging and connections are being made. Being able to move beyond just specific affiliate IDs and finding things that networks and merchants can use to detect more quickly bad behavior on their own back-end systems.

Ischofield, good luck with your endeavors. Keep plugging away and hopefully we'll be hearing about those big checks you're getting on regular basis.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I love the AFP reports, so much detail!
    And did you see the video series Kellie created at AFP to teach people what the nasty "loyaltyware" applications do? See it here:
    http://www.affiliatefairplay.com/adware_tutorial.html
    Cool, when did you add those there or did I miss announcement?

Some of us saw these similar demos at the first AMC seminar, but having even more now on your site is even better, finally a place where we can point merchants for actual 'proof', thanks Kellie.

Update: > did I miss announcement = Ok, just saw it was announced 30 days ago on afp blog. Never too late to bumpzee bump.

Last edited by Jorge - SHOPiMAR; April 18th, 2007 at 08:47 AM.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread