Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smile Question about successful campaigns

Can I get some idea from you all about how you are
    working the shareasale program?

My question is to you seasoned affiliates who are pulling in money on a regular basis.

1. Do most of you get your traffic by using PPC?
    2. Do you have individual websites promoting each line of products?
    3. Do you just add banners and info to an already successful site that has plenty of traffic to it anyway.
    4. Do you get traffic through direct emailing?

As if that wasn't enough of a question, I need help understanding stats for the programs. For this I have the example of the stats from checksunlimited:

Can someone explain this in English?
    7 Day EPC
    $109.59

30 Day
    $103.65

7 Day Reversal
    0.00 %

30 Day
    0.00 %

7 Day Avg. Sale
    $43.03
    30 Day

$42.18
    7 Day Avg. Commission
    $9.31

30 Day
    $9.17

I appreciate your helpful answers. You have all been so good to respond to a "newbie" in this field.

Hope you are having a great morning.

Sherry

For brand new sites PPC is about the only way to get your traffic. After they start getting free traffic I back off the PPC which can eat up all your income.

I find more success having a site geared towards a specific product. But, on the other hand I have some gift sites that promote a variety of products. How's that? My answers canceled each other out. :-)

Adding links to a successful site will get you immediate exposure. If not...you have to start with PPC or just be patient for the search engines to find you. Text links work better for me than banners.

I do not do direct emailing. Plus I don't like to get them.

I can't help with the stats. Sorry

Good luck!

Thank you for that information. There are so many different ways of doing this. I just wondered what was working for people.

I've been building free sites on Squidoo.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I've been building free sites on Squidoo
    ask yourself... would YOU something buy from a free site?????

Outsourced Program Manager
    run ur own site
    I agree, very few people will buy from a free website.

If your not willing to invest $30-$40/year for your own domain and hosting then your not very serious about making it work.

From a AM side, the affiliates that i see doing well are divided into three groups.

One. the website that runs coupons and discounts and has been around for a long time and ranks well so they get loads of traffic.

Two. the affiliate that finds a niche product and develops a nice small site geared toward that product, does a great job with SEO and also uses PPC.

Three. the affiliate that has gift site and has the same features as the coupon site.

The easiest i think to break into is with number two.

Hope this helps
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

You can shop around for a domain name registrar. I like using Moniker.

Here is a link for free hosting (in exchange for a banner at the top of each page). You can remove the banner for as little as $4.95 a month (billed annually $59.40)

http://www.netfirms.com/web-hosting/web-hosting-basic/

I always start my new sites out on this free hosting plan while I build them. Then once I am satisfied I upgrade to remove the banner.

Good Luck!

there are plenty of hosting sites starting as low as $15/year with 10 mbs of space, plenty for a small site with great support, go daddy, Dayana host are two

add $15 for a domain (even less if u go with a .us or .biz)

thats only $30/year!!

Why waste the time with a free hoster and banner on your index page leading your customers off somewhere?
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Ditto ditto ditto. Squidoo is cool, but with real hosting so cheap these days just put in the investment to make something real!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Affiliate Manager
    A lot of people will do limited tests using PPC to drive traffic. If the tests are profitable then they invest much more time building the site out. It can be a good way to test a lot of different niches.

Well...I appreciate all of your comments about getting a domaina and investing in credibility.

Actually, I do have two domains and a blog site as well. My domains however are of a generic nature. Before I add more domains...which I do plan on doing, I'd like to know that I've selected a good niche, hence a trial run with Squidoo.

In the PPC campaigns...are people using their own domains to send traffic to or do you all sell directly from your websites?

I guess I need some examples to look at if you are building your own sites and selling from there.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    people do both and many that are succesful do neither, it's more complicated (in a good way) than your questions imply. this is a rich (meaning depth and breadth) industry and you'll find that we're pretty clever as a group - that saying about there being more than one way to skin a cat... at abw, we're making nude cats all over the place that aren't even sure what hit them...

pick something, try it, monitor it, don't give up easily. rinse. lather, repeat. use caution and give yourself enough time and you'll uncover many things that work "your" way.

i skinned a cat last week with a small pointy chain saw, but i know this other guy that uses electric chop sticks. another friend of mine uses tuna juice and other cats and gets them to lick all the fur off.

mmm...tuna juice!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    mmm...tuna juice!
    Yep...works for me here in Maryland...along with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

Hmmmmm - hot steamed crabs and COLD beer - summer is coming.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    Yep...works for me here in Maryland...along with Old Bay Seafood Seasoning.

Hmmmmm - hot steamed crabs and COLD beer - summer is coming.
    I suppose what I am trying to say - is that you can create your own niche, and when you find one that works, you can improve it by adding the right "seasonings." Very little remains the same in this business. You need to keep tweaking things a bit.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Love those crab cakes at Phillips in OC>>> mmm good
    its all about the seaonings

U can make it work without PPC but u need to do lots of SEO and then wait
    PPC could run thru your savings fast if ur not carefull

One program i manage i have a couple of affiliates that use our name but use .org/.net and have a single splash page and then click thru to our order page
    seems to be working as our program has great epc :-) and they are driving sales

IF your thinking of this, make sure you check the fine print for the merchant.
    Richard
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

All of your comments have been helpful indeed.

There are more ways to skin a cat than one can possibly imagine.

Yesterday, I paid $5 to Google to run an ad for checks unlimited. I
    was glad to make a sale and earn my $2.60...which I was excited about.

Today when I looked up my stats on shareasale, I discovered that
    my sale came from one of my squidoo pages...go figure.

I'm in till I find the right recipe.

Domain Name Purchase
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Love those crab cakes at Phillips in OC>>> mmm

One program i manage i have a couple of affiliates that use our name but use .org/.net and have a single splash page and then click thru to our order page
    After making $12.00...I spent $8.99 on a domain name..and used a .net extension and part of the name in the domain...

Any suggestions for my single page site? I'd like to optimize it to get organic traffic from google.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    i skinned a cat last week with a small pointy chain saw, but i know this other guy that uses electric chop sticks. another friend of mine uses tuna juice and other cats and gets them to lick all the fur off.
    O.K. I'm getting the picture here. I had some sales today and yesterday and I was happy about that.

Thanks for your help.

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Two. the affiliate that finds a niche product and develops a nice small site geared toward that product, does a great job with SEO and also uses PPC.

The easiest i think to break into is with number two.

Hope this helps
    Thanks for this advice...I'm giving it a try.

I have now bought a specific domain name and have 89% of the site done. I'm wondering though how effect the strategy I'm using really is.

I thought that I may get organic traffic because of the domain name.
    I thought that making a small site that displays the main products of the shareasale program and linking to the shareasale site would be good.

Any errors in my strategy?

Thanks!!!!

Relying on organic traffic from keywords in a domain name doesn't sound like a winning strategy...
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaves1
    Any suggestions for my single page site? I'd like to optimize it to get organic traffic from google.
    1-page wonders no longer work for organic / seo traffic. Plan a site that people will find has "substance" in spades. Notice I didn't say "volume", it doesn't have to be large to honestly fill a need. People won't choose an airline that has one plane that has one wing and 2 wheels.

And for your ppc traffic, a 1-page site will be viewed as an affiliate bridge page and your min bids will skyrocket and leave you out of the auction. See middle of page here, under "affiliate policy" for more:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/guidelines.html

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was Cincinnati. Neither was the gas station down on the corner. Keep searching for "the minimum I need to do to succeed" and you'll just be disappointed. Try to fill needs, both consumers / searchers needs and those of your merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by MINDsprinter
    Relying on organic traffic from keywords in a domain name doesn't sound like a winning strategy...
    Thanks for the comment here...I didn't really mean just from the domain name alone...

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    1-page wonders no longer work for organic / seo traffic. Plan a site that people will find has "substance" in spades. Notice I didn't say "volume", it doesn't have to be large to honestly fill a need. People won't choose an airline that has one plane that has one wing and 2 wheels.

And for your ppc traffic, a 1-page site will be viewed as an affiliate bridge page and your min bids will skyrocket and leave you out of the auction. See middle of page here, under "affiliate policy" for more:
    https://adwords.google.com/select/guidelines.html

Rome wasn't built in a day. Neither was Cincinnati. Neither was the gas station down on the corner. Keep searching for "the minimum I need to do to succeed" and you'll just be disappointed. Try to fill needs, both consumers / searchers needs and those of your merchants.
    So when you advertise with Google...do they charge more per clicks if you just put an affiliate link and another display URL?

I am not doing a one page website and I am not looking for just doing the minimum either.

It seems that I am just ending up feeling like a stupid idiot in this forum. Is that how I'm coming across to all of you?

idiots don't ask questions, they think they know it already. you're no idiot. i hope you keep asking questions and look for places where you can answer them too.

you are a beginner and the questions are basic. but we love having new people join and learn and share and more.

good luck to you!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast