Question Header Frame for affiliate linking
    Hi everyone. I have a question....

Is it possible to keep a site header (logo/navigation) in a "frame" on top of any page that is linked to?

For example: Person X clicks on an affiliate link on my website. I would like to display my website header on top in their browser as this person navigates the affiliated website? The effect of this would be somewhat like a co-brand.

This seems quite possible, but I have never seen it done. Why?

I look forward to hearing your comments

We used to do this (about 6-7 years ago), but there are two issues you need to check. some merchants specifically prohibit this in their contracts. The main reason we stopped this is when someone clicked on an affiliate link, shopped at a merchant, when they got to the cart, the frame "broke" and tracking was lost, so we never got credit for the sale.

just something you want to check for and test

IE Browsers can/will block the merchant cookie from setting. This may also be an issue for other browsers as well ... so I would not recommend doing this.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I stopped for the same reasons since alot of cookie did not work, and also several merchants do not allow it. Also I also do not like it when someone else tries to put me in a frame.

If I'm not mistaken, search engines also do not like the practice.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Many merchants disapprove of the practice. Many of your visitors would probably disapprove as well.

Ah, I didn't realize this practice was so looked down upon! I didn't think it was harmful-- I saw couponmountain doing it not too long ago.. but not anymore. Any other ways to maintain your website "branding" while linking out to affiliated websites? The only other way I can think of is to incorperate datafeeds (linkshare merchandizer, etc?), but I have not invested in setting that up yet. Suggestions?

Affiliate Manager
    Don't worry about branding while "linking out" - worry about branding while they're on your site. Some suggestions for building a repeat audience:

- Create content they can't get anywhere else.

- Build a community. It will become a habit for people to come to your site and you'll be the first site they think of when they go shopping. This is much easier if you're targeting a niche.

- Capture their email. Build a newsletter and you can reach out to your visitors on a regular basis. IMO, this is one of the biggest missed opportunities by a majority of affiliates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewDonald
    Don't worry about branding while "linking out" - worry about branding while they're on your site. Some suggestions for building a repeat audience:

- Capture their email. Build a newsletter and you can reach out to your visitors on a regular basis. IMO, this is one of the biggest missed opportunities by a majority of affiliates.
    Agreed and agreed. I recommend a double opt-in system to protect against fraud. Additionally, make sure your emails comply with all applicable laws, including providing a way for the recipient to opt-out of future mailings.

The affiliate channel just won't provide you a good way to brand on someone else's page. It's not the point of the market. The company is paying you to generate quantifiable traffic (be it clicks, leads, or sales) for them, and they will have their own branding interests to consider. But what you can do is provide a brand yourself that's independent of the companies with whom you are affiliated, and this will help increase your return traffic to your site.

The suggestions given by TheNewDonald are excellent.
    Chris Sturgill
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals." - H. Simpson

If you really need branding when linking out, get exclusive coupons from the merchants with your brand name in them!
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread