Question 6,971 clicks yesterday
    Yesterday I received 6,971 clicks when I usually have maybe up to 100 a day. I tried to check my logs to see what was doing it but could not. Does anyone know of a way to determine if a spider or bot is doing this on my site. I have 5 sites and it only effected one site and only effected the links from Commission Junction and not any of the other networks.

You should notify the effected CJ store, before they kick you out.

Call CJ and ask to speak with someone about it. That way CJ doesn't kick you out for any kind of fraud or suspicious activity.

Bon,

what kind of server logs or stats do you have available? Are you using Cpanel admin or something else?

it seems VERY odd that someting has targeted your CJ only links. Are they in the form of a banner or product feed?

Is it possible that someone copied one of your links and is trying to hack something (off your site, thus no logs..but CJ still sees the click) Check your invalid links report in the morning as i think that is 24 hours behind

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    I tried to check my logs to see what was doing it but could not. Does anyone know of a way to determine if a spider or bot is doing this on my site.
    I have constantly problems like that: tons of clicks and no sale.

In my case, I discovered that this problem is due Google AdWords Spider that inflate your clicks - CJ fail to filter Google Spider and and your EPC is hurt like hell.
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

Exclamation
    I thought that I would share CJ's response to my inquiry about this.

Danny,

To begin, it is understandale that Google would spider each listing once, when a listing is created or is modified, in order to test the validity of the link(s), as this has always been the case. In addition, the Google Quality Score Bot has always registered clicks through the Commission Junction system, based on the traces run through each of your Google Adwords destination URLs. We cannot explain why some affiliates believe that, without increasing the number of listings or keywords, the volume of clicks generated by this spider has significantly increased through Commission Junction. We are looking into the matter further and assessing the impact, but at this time we know that many publishers have have taken it upon themselves to resolve the situation, and have done so successfully. In order to reach the quickest solution, we encourage you to look into explanations, using Google's help resources (including information about changes made to the functionality of their Adwords program) or resources within the publisher community, for how you can avoid or limit the impact that this may have on your program.

If you would like further assistance, please contact us again.

Regards,
    Andre

Hmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by boningroup
    Danny,
    We are looking into the matter further and assessing the impact,
    Yes, They told something similar to me about 6 months ago and the problem still persists

Why they don't just filter the Google Bot ip?: 72.14.199.*
    [URL="tinyurl.com/p4wpj"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdWords [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="tinyurl.com/hphom"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]Commission Junction [/COLOR]Community[/URL] | [URL="http://tinyurl.com/nh6fc"]Orkut [COLOR="Red"]AdSense[/COLOR] Community[/URL]

Verbosely Virtuous Mutt spacedog's Avatar
    6,971 clicks sounds like more is going on than just the Google bot. As mrbshouse suggested, look carefully at your http logs at your web hosting company. If you don't know how to do this, call your web host's tech support and they should be able to help. Also check "Invalid Links" on CJ to see if you're getting any of these. I've never had this kind of thing happen to my CJ affiliate links (or any other affiliate links for that matter). Sounds like a good possibility of a spammer or fraudster. It also may be a hacker executing an attack on CJ itself (a DDOS -- distributed denial-of-service), using your affiliate links and possibly the links of other affiliates as well.

I have had problems with the Googlebot QS Bot and inflatyed clicks and actually got dropped from a merchant for having a low EPC, even though from my end it was a very good EPC. But, CJ won't filter it.

CJ really needs to do something about it.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread