Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I was curious how many of you feel this way? I've been pretty vocal around here and obviously, I touched some nerves because of my posts (yes, I recently had a visit from a PI on behalf of the Wurld/Morpheus folks and I've seen subtle references in other posts that others were contacted as well). Since the bullying began, this board has been awful quite so I expect there was quite a bit of it.

There are several things that are bothering me:
    1) I don't care about the visit from the PI but I divulged my web site as part of my statement and this does bother me.
    2) I wrote a post on fighting parasites and included a letter I sent to the Brylane Group. From around the time I divulged my website and not long after that letter, my sales for the Byrlane group have plumeted on an average basis by more than 2/3 %. Yes that's right., I'm getting less than 1/3 the sales I was before these events (on fairly substantial orders - I'm not talking about 20 or 30 sales here).

My other companies sales have remained consistent with previous patterns and, my traffic levels are consistent as well so I just can’t make any sense of this other than I'm being targeted somehow.

What really bothers me is that I can’t put a finger on who and how I am being targeted. It could be the network, Bylane itself or it could even be done by parasites through some other mechanism I'm not aware of. I just don't know but the result seems very obvious! I contacted my network after the 3rd week showed around an 80% drop off and they said they would look into it but things aren't really improving.

There are a few things I'd like to be known.
    1) For the networks, Byrlane and the parasites - This seems to indicate the seriousness of the parasite issue and while a single source can not be identified - it makes each of you look guilty!
    2) Bullying me may cut my sales and income but my determination has not wavered. I'll continue to expose parasites and do my part to make consumers aware of your devious practices. I'll also continue to complain how the networks and merchants associated with the parasites are directly undermining their basic agreement with affiliates which states they WILL provide a commission on orders resulting from a visitor I send to their site. I honestly expect that by now, most merchants have been notified and made aware of the issue and continued involvement is due to desire and not being unaware of the issues. With this said, I'd expect the level of actions against individual merchants to increase and I invote other affiliates to join in and lets formulate a ture plan of action.
    3) If other affiliates feel they are being targeted as well, hiding the issue is not going to help matters. I encourage others to expose the goings on that effect us and let it be known. For those of you who don’t feel you've been targeted, I suggest you think before you speak. The ability to specifically target a web site or even a group of merchants seems very likely possible.
    4) I encourage all networks and merchants to re-evaluate their positions regarding the damage that will be done due to their involvement and direct support of parasites.
    5) Madam Buckworks and Shawn, I will not present a summary opinion of my view just for the networks and the parasites! My view is simply stated here for all to see and consider! You are welcome to use any part of this you like to represent my viewpoint of the negative impacts of parasitic involvement.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Happypoon I too have been singled out as having fought the "darkside" for over a year now. I suspect certain parsitic applications, which can turn off a certain merchant web site or network link, can also be used to target all their diversion tools on a individual affiliates web site. Over the last 2 months my traffic has increased, new more effective clickthrough links posted and like you my sales have dropped off by 80%.

For the first time in 4 years my CJ sales are in the toilet even though I added links to more traffic areas for the CJ merchants posting here. Someone of Wayne's stature or Haiko & Elizabeth would have to pressure me to write a formal position paper. til then anyone here can carry this post to any forum for discussion on the issues.
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...5616016941&p=1

WebMaster Mike

I too recieved the visit from Wurld Media PI's yesterday.
    Funny thing, I have never mentioned them, by the time I became vocal on the issues, they were already in compliance. I never made any posts or any had any contact with merchants regarding Wurld Media.
    So why would they even contact me?

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Thanks for the info., happypoon.

Please tell more about the visit you received.

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Shawn, you and Wayne should carry the strong arm, threatening, and silencing tactics used by the parasites and others to the other boards. Also call the networks and cease this activity as it undermines your meetings purpose before it even starts.

WebMaster Mike

I'd be curious to know what type of questions the PI's were asking. What exactly are they trying to accomplish?

Also, are all of you in one general area of the country or are they sending these goons across the country to find you?

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Please tell us more, happypoon. Did the PI actually know why he was there, or was he just trying to intimidate you? Was he aware of the issue involved and the amount of money that was being redirected from affiliates to his employer under questionable circumstance?

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

I haven't heard of anyone outside the US getting a visit.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    I will not comment of the exact details of the questions asked other than to say they wanted me to be aware they were watching statements I made here and that they wanted a basic statement of my understanding of facts.

I had seen where Haiko and someone else made reference to a phone call and to beware the day before my visit. I can only assume that it was "this board" who divuldged my true name and address. Is this right Haiko?

Nope, Haiko would not divulge stuff like that, happypoon. I'm sure they have ways of finding you out. Perhaps in a post somewhere in your past there was a reference to it, or - and I would suspect this most of all - if you wrote to a merchant about parasites, they probably forwarded a letter to the company in question, complete with your personal info and asked the company to explain the issue.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

ABW Ambassador
    Well I sure sent enough letters to merchants - I just thought it was funny.... He did know it was coming before it ever happened.

Something to think about.....everyone who got a visit should compare notes on which merchants they sent emails to.

Maybe there's one in common.....

Maybe not worth the effort, but......might be interesting. You could probably start with merchants you mailed but they did not respond or, if they did, chose to retain their relationship with the company in question.

I Will FOCUS On My Goal

happypoon,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I can only assume that it was "this board" who divuldged my true name and address. Is this right Haiko? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely not!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

What bothers me is that I never discussed Wurld Media. I could understand if I had and had a visit. But I wasn't involved in any way with the Morpheus-Wurld Media situation.
    So why would they visit me?

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

(Shawn & Elisabeth)

I've said this before and I'll say it again

It is imperative that this information is brought up at this meeting. Then not only will it be able to be proved the networks are aiding and abbeting theft, they will also be aiding and abbeting extortion tactics or whatever you call them.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Sorry for being a dumbass but what's a PI?

PI = Private Investigator

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Wayne,

It appears there have been several people contacted. Hopefully they will post here and let it be known to all. It really would be interesting to see where they are geting the personal information about affiliates from. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Happypoon, a thumbs up for speaking out against it.

[Edited as per the request of DaPackster]

[This message was edited by Haiko on October 25, 2002 at 05:00 PM.]

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I'd be happy to bring it up if I can get some more concrete facts (feel free to contact me offline).

I'm not really clear about what is happening here - what sort of questions are being asked? What sort of threats?

Shawn Collins
    Director of Affiliate Marketing
    ClubMom, Inc.
    http://clubmomaffiliates.com/
    http://iAfma.us/
    http://affiliatemanager.net/

ABW Ambassador
    PI
    Private Investigator?

If your domains are registered in your name and address, they can find out from whois if they have a starting URL.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Andy, that is true about the whois but it appears that some didn't have their sites listed in public. I could be wrong though. This is all I will say about what I know. Hopefully others can clear things up for all of us. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

[This message was edited by DaPackster on October 25, 2002 at 04:36 PM.]

I would not mind betting they contacted their (our) merchants and networks and those that use them willingly gave up all the neccesary info. I know for sure Haiko would NOT divulge any information of this kind.

[edited to add] Do not forget the networks would know every site that sends them click throughs just like we know the referers who send our sites visitors are.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

A few quick notes.. PIs are usually hired by lawyers and not directly by a company. If you have lawyers wanting statements and other forms of evidence, it is fairly clear where this is heading..

Also, for those of you who are yet to be approached and provide statements, make sure you use the magic words where you do not know the facts 100%.. The words are "It appears as ...". For example, no one can truly identify how much income has been lost because of parasiteware, so you would state "It appears as though I have lost 80% of my income because of parasiteware." If you know the facts 100%, such as you have seen the programs in action on your own site, state it, but if you have not witnessed something, or are not 100% sure of something, it should always be "It appears as though ..". This will cover your own backside.

ABW Ambassador
    Happypoon,

It was very easy to track down your information outside of ABW. It is all pretty public this days. If you want to find out, PM me and I can show you how I found it.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    I too would be interested to know more details about the "visits".

I've been vocal on the issues, and my identity and contact information is no secret, but the only people I've had phone calls from are other posters on this board.

I must admit that I've wondered what sort of target my site would make for an unscrupulous software genius, though.

We can NOT assume that merchants know about thiefware issues. The networks have been in no hurry to tell them, and it seems to be pretty random if merchants hear about it from affiliates. Don't let up on your efforts to express concerns to your merchants.

Elisabeth Archambault

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast