Adware question
    If there were a type of adware that didn't overwrite your cookie but was an application that was instead licensed to merchants on a per month basis, and it kept your commission intact, and the end user agreed to download it and wasn't spy-eee, would it be ok then, or is there another problem here that I'm missing?

All this adware stuff makes my head spin.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

What would be in it for the merchant at that point? They're delivering ads but still paying commission to the affiliate that referred the customer initially?

Also, what's the benefit to the end user? Would the merchant be saying "Download this so we can send you ads?" I'm sure that's not it, but you can see where I'm heading with the question.

And wow. Just went to your website. You guys work out of a hell of a big building
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

RE your first question, Noth, I'm not quite sure. I was just asking. Maybe the merchant wants to close the sale within the cookie duration but doesn't want to screw the affiliate...who knows?

RE your second question, again I'm not sure. Was just asking a hypothetical. Maybe it's a piece of software that is paired with a merchant rebate program for the consumer...

...I'll paint a more vivid picture, just for the sake of discussion. Let's say the merchant has joined a merchant network that has a piece of software that tracks purchases and rebates the consumer a % of activity for purchases within the merchant network. It also installs on the desktop and tracks sales from other member merchants, but doesn't overwrite the affiliate cookie.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

and the end user agreed to download it
    You could put it in the fine print mega agreement that nobody reads in light gray text.That's the only way somebody in their right mind agrees to "gimmy ads please".

I can't see where ANY adware toolbar or program can possibly be good for the end-user, merchant or affiliate. They have a bad reputation, and enough is enough already. Too many things already loaded on most machines.

IMHO.

2nd the cute monkey (nakedgamer)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    ...I'll paint a more vivid picture, just for the sake of discussion. Let's say the merchant has joined a merchant network that has a piece of software that tracks purchases and rebates the consumer a % of activity for purchases within the merchant network. It also installs on the desktop and tracks sales from other member merchants, but doesn't overwrite the affiliate cookie.
    Joe, if the systems are completely separated, affiliates would be fine. But the problem is that most merchants view loyaltyware as an affiliate activity - so if an aff referred the sale and a loyaltyware app also triggered, they feel like they are paying twice. What you're suggesting, the affiliate not being affected, is just that. For an enlightened merchant who considers the real value of loyaltyware for what it is - almost no value, the buyer's already on your site - a separate tracking system for them would be fine. If you're paying affiliates 10% for a buyer, mayeb in your loyaltyware channel, you offer them 0.5%,or something commensurate with the very limited value they add.

I've heard many well-respected minds in our industry suggest that loyaltyware be a completely separate channel for merchants. You can find some so stating it here.

The key point is recognizing the value of your partners and making sure there's no interference in play. I am fairly jaded, so I just don't see this happening anytime soon. Most parallel tracking programs seek to de-dupe cross over sales (whether they are cross overs or not) and they make no effort to separate partners on a value basis.

Lastly, I don't like even saying this stuff - too many merchants and AMs and even a few OPMs don't understand the basics of tracking - some people will misconstrue, through ignorance, exactly what i'm saying here. Generally, I dislike parallel programs, because they aren't viewed as separate channels - but if you truly separated them, it's my opinion that you'd be fine. That circumstance requires trust on the affs part - i've seen more than one time where a merchant covertly built a server side switch into their tracking systems to de-dupe two programs that were claimed to be separate. And I've seen batch merchants who de-dupe via programatic process. So the situation isn't ideal, but if constructed properly, might be quite wonderful for all channels and the merchant as well.

All this said regarding tracking, I still adamantly oppose pc-clogging adware - it's done so much harm to our industry that it shouldn't be "worked" around, for affiliates, via tracking fixes. I don't just care about my income, but about the health of our marketplace and about the treatment of our visitors and customers. If we dismiss those we serve, long term, we will still lose. So whatever becomes of tracking and it's complexities, compartmentalizing this issue is not an ideal solution either. However, the current situation, where eBates earns the same % as an affiliate bringing you a new customer, is absurd. Perhaps separating the tracking systems is the second step in the long term solution to adware - where the first is mentally recognizing that adware's ROI, while impressive in reports, is not what it appears to be for advertisers that use it as a channel. Through short-sided views of "who sold what", loyaltyware has pulled off one of the greatest financial scams our country has EVER seen. We even have pundits and legendary members of our community who can't see things as they are. Some parties who benefit from the blindness, prefer to keep their eyes closed.

The emperor is naked - and I consider it to be my job to point and laugh until I can hear many others giggling.

15 years and counting
    Great post, Donuts.
    However, the current situation, where eBates earns the same % as an affiliate bringing you a new customer, is absurd.
    Worse is when the merchant is paying eBates twice the basic affiliate commission.

Great post, indeed, Donuts.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread