buying an expired domain
    Im posting in here because all the topic areas are too specific and this seems like a better traffic area :-)

Anyway- I was looking at expired domains to buy and am curious- there was one domain that claimed 9500 visitors a day! I checked it out and they had a 0 page rank and 0 backlinks. How is this possible? Is it just a lie?

Any advice for a newbie that would like to buy expired domains would be great. Also- are there any programs out there where SEO marketers sell pre-made affiliate websites with unique rich content? I found one- but turns out it was no longer being updated......but at least one has existed. 100 members only to join at 100 a month.... good deal for the SEO and good deal for the newbie affiliates with little web skillz

I would guess that if the domain were so hot, the previous owner wouldn't have let it expire. If that's so, then base your decision on whether the name works for you, and if it brings any residual traffic, consider that a bonus.
    [URL=http://themoneyforums.com]The Money Forums[/URL]

I think DoctorMike has this one pegged. When buying a site, unless you've got the actual server logs in hand, assume that there is ZERO traffic. Buy domains that are appropriate for what you want to build, not for some promise of traffic that may or may not actually exist.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcharvet
    Im posting in here because all the topic areas are too specific and this seems like a better traffic area :-)

Anyway- I was looking at expired domains to buy and am curious- there was one domain that claimed 9500 visitors a day! I checked it out and they had a 0 page rank and 0 backlinks. How is this possible? Is it just a lie?
    This does not have to be a lie. I know some sites in education sector that are PR0 and zero backlinks that receives over 20,000 visitors daily from various paid campaigns. In this case, a lot of money is spent daily to get the visitors in the door.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMike
    I would guess that if the domain were so hot, the previous owner wouldn't have let it expire. If that's so, then base your decision on whether the name works for you, and if it brings any residual traffic, consider that a bonus.
    Generally true.
    But there were some high profiled cases where the domains expired as someone forgot to renew it in time or so I read sometime back somewhere!

As a quick check you can look at Alexa for guestimated traffic.

Also, how are you checking page rank and backlinks? Google toolbar?

Sunny and Hot in Canada,
    Ceri

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    But there were some high profiled cases where the domains expired as someone forgot to renew it in time or so I read sometime back somewhere!
    That would be Microsoft! They forgot to renew Hotmail dot com

Some guy who couldn't access his mail, sent in the renewal fees on MS's behalf

I would never buy an expired domain again. It is just as easy to make up one on your own, you dont need to have someone elses domain that has been penalized
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

It's not very easy to buy an expiring domain name...
    http://www.mikeindustries.com/blog/a...xpiring-domain

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread